[solved] Initital testing with second client - cannot play recorded TV (1 Viewer)

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Then please post the respective logs in this thread.

They are in the bug report thread but I have attached them again here.

Also I just turned the firewall off for public and private networks on both my server and my NUC client and re-tested. No difference.

Attachments

• Bedroom client MediaPortal2-Logs-2018-10-07-18.38.12.zip
    126.3 KB

Digsy

Portal Pro
August 29, 2018
Home Country
That doesn't mean that MediaPortal has the privilege to do so. Your own NAS access is working under your user account while MediaPortal is accessing the server under a system account.

I have just manually shared both my recorded TV folder and my timeshift folder to "everyone" using Windows Explorer. No difference.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is on the server machine, but not on the client.

Looks like a network credentials problem on the client. The MP2 Server software is not running in your server's user context. You still need to put in user name and password of your server's user account. Giving access to everyone is the right approach but for example to let the MP2 Server software delete the recordings it needs the rights of a 'user'. 'Everyone' is the sum of all users on a system. The system context the MP2 server software is running with is not a 'user' and does not have access as a user. It does not belong in the 'Everyone' category.

Cheers

Blue Max

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is on the server machine, but not on the client.
    Then the client cannot access the path. As BlueMax1916 insinuated you do need to define credentials.

What OS are you using on the server? Keep in mind that Windows 10 is not allowing anonymous connections anymore.

EDIT: Just looked at your system info, so it's Win 7

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Looks like a network credentials problem on the client. The MP2 Server software is not running in your server's user context. You still need to put in user name and password of your server's user account. Giving access to everyone is the right approach but for example to let the MP2 Server software delete the recordings it needs the rights of a 'user'. 'Everyone' is the sum of all users on a system. The system context the MP2 server software is running with is not a 'user' and does not have access as a user. It does not belong in the 'Everyone' category.

Then the client cannot access the path. As BlueMax1916 insinuated you do need to define credentials.

I was just about to post up something along similar lines. I just tried to simply connect to the shared recordings folder on my server directly from Windows Explorer but I was prevented from doing so. One of the reasons given was because I could have a "blank password". This is indeed the case. My admin account on the server machine has a username and password but my "everyday" user account does not. On my client at the moment I have a single account with admin rights but still no password. The only exception to this is my tablet which requires a username and password.

I will try adding the same credentials (i.e my username and leave the password blank) and see if that works.

What OS are you using on the server? Keep in mind that Windows 10 is not allowing anonymous connections anymore.

The server and NUC both run Windows 7 SP1 with all patches. My tablet runs Windows 8.1 with all patches.

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Right...

For sake of simplicity let's call my "normal" user account on my server machine "user" which has no password, and my "admin" account is called "admin" and the password is "password."

On my NUC I tried entering my credentials as "user" with no password and re-tested. No difference.
    Then I entered "admin" and "password" and re-tested. No difference.

Would you like me to post new logs with these tests in them?

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Dammit. For a second I thought I had fixed it. :(

I looked in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Media streaming options on my server machine and found three devices called Media Portal UPnP renderer which were all blocked. I changed them to "Allowed" and also ticked "Stream my pictures, music, etc..." in Control Panel\Network and Internet\HomeGroup

Went back to the client and got about 5 seconds of video and then the player stopped. :(

I can sometimes get about a second of video, with or without putting network credentials into MP. It doesn't seem to matter which set of credentials I use, either. The result is always he same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom