[solved] Initital testing with second client - cannot play recorded TV (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Did you test the behavior with the latest release?
    Not with the very latest but wich many TC builds for MP 2.2. Some of them containing exactly the same TV engine plugin than 2.2pre itself... If it is needed I simply can install a 2.2pre Client on my desktop system and connect it with my productive TV server running 2.2pre... But I'm not at home now, so I need to delay this until I'm back home...

Digsy

Portal Pro
    August 29, 2018
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    If this did not work, then something else is wrong on your system. As simple as that. Don't change the WIki in this direction, as it simply is not true.

Maybe "different" would be a better way of putting it than "wrong" :) But there is not really anything special about my system that I am aware of. Maybe the most unusual (?) thing about it is that on my server machine I have always had two accounts, one with a password for admin, and one without a password for everyday use. But I believe that this is in line with Microsoft recommendations. Even so I have had a couple is instances where having a user account with no password has stopped me from doing things like connecting to shares and creating scheduled tasks which need to run when a specific user is logged in.

But this is why I would be reluctant to march in and start changing the Wiki - I only have experience on my own system. There might be something specific about Windows 7 that makes this difficult. Anything in the Wiki really ought to be a "one size fits all" solution. For example, maybe, for example, in Windows 8 onwards you cannot create a user without a password? I don't know (I am allergic to anything after Windows 7 :) ). I think it would be important to understand the programmers intentions for the default behavior of a particular part of MP before proposing a change.

MP2 is using drive letters since many years for recording and timeshift folders now. And all of a sudden it should be impossible that this is working???? Come now ;) I've used MP2 for more than 4 years now (from Alpha state up to now) as my main TV system. I could always watch Live TV on other clients...

Just to be clear, before I changed to UNC paths, I could watch live TV on my other clients (I never got as far as trying timeshifting). It was only playing recorded TV that caused issues.

But yes, I agree. Of all the multi-seat installations of MP2 that must be out there, I think it is odd that this situation has not come up before.

For reference, what I have done now is create a user called "MP2Server" on my server machine with a password but normal non-admin permissions and that is working fine on all clients. I think this is safer than storing my admin username and password in MP. Tonight I shall restrict access to the recorded TV share to this user only, which I suspect will also work just fine.

Sorry if I am coming across as argumentative on this. It was getting late last night :) I really do appreciate the developers assistance on getting this and other issues fixed.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    I could watch live TV on my other clients (I never got as far as trying timeshifting).
    Every time when you are watching Live TV you're using the timeshift feature. You can not use TV without in MP (no matter if MP1 or MP2).

Watching live TV indeed is the same than playing any other video file, excerpt for the fact, that this specific video file is created in "real time" while you are watching it. So it is even more weird that you could play the "timeshift" .ts video but not the recording .ts video files... If there is an issue it should have impact on both, live TV and recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom