Install Error 1628: Installation Fails (1 Viewer)

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    donmerlinus, I updated the wiki to describe how to uninstall manually: Installation Guide for Skin - Manual Uninstall

Its only a quick n dirty guide to unregister the installer and do a little cleanup. Its by no means a complete cleanup!, although it should be enough to run the installer again assuming there is no other problems with your system conflicting with windows installer.

donmerlinus

Portal Member
    August 6, 2005
    Hi ltfearme,

thanks for your guide. I'll try it this evening and give you feedback. I hope this will be a positive feedback... *g.

DonMerlinus

donmerlinus

Portal Member
    August 6, 2005
    Hi ltfearme,

thanks for your guide again.

I tried to delete all as written in your guide last night. Your guide is very good to delete this skin manually.

But it didn't help. The installer tried to install the skin. He create a new dir at my temp-folder and unpack all files in it. Then a second folder appears for some seconds and vanish. Then the dialog with 1628 popup.

Meanwhile I am writing this I get a new idea: I changed something since the last installation. I activated the compression for all files in win 7 for this drive. Could it be possible, that the installer wants to update something and can't overwrite it? In my debug-logs from win7 is a note about a dll-file if I try to install your skin.

Thanks in advance.

DonMerlinus

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Meanwhile I am writing this I get a new idea: I changed something since the last installation. I activated the compression for all files in win 7 for this drive. Could it be possible, that the installer wants to update something and can't overwrite it? In my debug-logs from win7 is a note about a dll-file if I try to install your skin.

It's hard to say without testing, you can try disable compression and test again. Maybe something got corrupted with windows installer during compression. What is the name of DLL file you are referring to?

donmerlinus

Portal Member
    August 6, 2005
    Hi,

now I tried a lot of new things. But nothing helped. I removed the compression of my drive C, but that was not the clue. All installations breaks with 1628.

I looked at my debug infos in win7 and found an entry for the streamedmp failure. Name of the incorrect module: ISSetup.dll_unload. But I don't know, what that means.
    (In my german installation "Name des fehlerhaften Moduls ISSetup.dll_unload")

Perhaps I must wait for the next release, a new installation of win 7, the installation with the MePo Extension Installer oder the possibility to upgrade per MePo-GUI.

Thanks in advance.
    DonMerlinus

trevor

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2006
    Chelmsford
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

now I tried a lot of new things. But nothing helped. I removed the compression of my drive C, but that was not the clue. All installations breaks with 1628.

I looked at my debug infos in win7 and found an entry for the streamedmp failure. Name of the incorrect module: ISSetup.dll_unload. But I don't know, what that means.
    (In my german installation "Name des fehlerhaften Moduls ISSetup.dll_unload")

Perhaps I must wait for the next release, a new installation of win 7, the installation with the MePo Extension Installer oder the possibility to upgrade per MePo-GUI.

Thanks in advance.
    DonMerlinus

Maybe try Revo Uninstaller to make sure any old releases are cleared before the new installation, I have not used it myself but has been metioned in these forums, there is a freeware version and it may help - can be found here

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

Cheers

donmerlinus

Portal Member
    August 6, 2005
    Hi,

now I know that this problem hast something to do with my Win7. I tried to install "myseries" and the same error appears.

But the manual de-installation guide helped to override the files with new files from the latest release. I installed MePo and the skin on another PC and took the files from there to override them on my HTPC. It's a little bit laborious, but a workaround for my problem since I know, what my Win7-Installation does wrong.

Thanks for your help.

DonMerlinus

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Sounds like installshield packages that use install script or msi packages in general just don't work for you. This leads me to think that msi and/or installshield installscript is corrupt on your system. You can try google these packages and try to install them manually, that might help.

donmerlinus

Portal Member
    August 6, 2005
    Sounds like installshield packages that use install script or msi packages in general just don't work for you. This leads me to think that msi and/or installshield installscript is corrupt on your system. You can try google these packages and try to install them manually, that might help.

Hi,

yes, I think my msi-installer seems to be broken. I tried to repair it yesterday, but nothing helped. I can't find windows installer 5.0 in the internet. For Vista the version 4.5 is available. The new registration of the msiexec doesn't work too. I try to install the installer with the Win7-CD next week. if this is possible.

Thanks for your idea.

DonMerlinus

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom