Installation failure on TV Server when doing single seat installation (2 Viewers)

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Here are the logs.
    Code:
    [2021-03-08 18:52:35,932] [Log    ] [TVService] [ERROR] - Controller: sorry, master/slave server setups are not supported. Since there is already another server in the db, we exit here.
    [2021-03-08 18:52:35,941] [Log    ] [TVService] [ERROR] - TvController: Deinit failed - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    I think this is problem: Since there is already another server in the db, we exit here.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can't read German but it looks like I'm not alone in having this problem.

I think I have proven that it is a 1.27 issue since 1.26 installed okay.

Let's hope the cause is found...

Tony

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I think this is problem: Since there is already another server in the db, we exit here.
    In the six years that I have been using MP, I have not once uninstalled MP, so I have no experience of how uninstall works (or, indeed, whether it works :eek: ). However, the error text quote by @ajs suggests that the error is caused by trying to install MP whilst there is already a version of TV Server installed.

When trying to uninstall, I would:
    • Stop the TV Server service.
    • Run the uninstall procedure.
    • Reboot.
    • Manually delete the folders in "Program Files" and "ProgramData" that have "Team MediaPortal" in the name.
    Now, a further complicating factor is MP2, which uses the same TV Server code as MP1. Therefore, another possible cause of this error is trying to install MP1 whilst MP2 is installed.

One might have expected that the MP2 developers would have tweaked the TV Server code so that it used different database names, or located the databases in a different folder, but if the developers did not do this, the MP2 version of TV Server will try to access exactly the same databases as the MP1 version of TV Server, which would (I think) give rise to the error message shown above if both TV servers are active.

You can stop the TV Server service in "TV Server Config" or by using the Windows "Services" panel, but the service will start again the next time that you boot. The only definitive way to stop the service running is to uninstall it.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Code:
    [2021-03-08 18:52:35,932] [Log    ] [TVService] [ERROR] - Controller: sorry, master/slave server setups are not supported. Since there is already another server in the db, we exit here.
    [2021-03-08 18:52:35,941] [Log    ] [TVService] [ERROR] - TvController: Deinit failed - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

That's true, but, weirdly, when I did a complete uninstall and deleted the MpTvDb database and then did a reinstall, with a reboot in-between, the installation still failed. I recognize the difficulty in getting to the bottom of this so I think we will need to wait to see whether other users start to report this problem.

Thanks again.

Tony

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    In the six years that I have been using MP, I have not once uninstalled MP, so I have no experience of how uninstall works (or, indeed, whether it works :eek: ). However, the error text quote by @ajs suggests that the error is caused by trying to install MP whilst there is already a version of TV Server installed.

• Reboot.
    • Manually delete the folders in "Program Files" and "ProgramData" that have "Team MediaPortal" in the name.
    Now, a further complicating factor is MP2, which uses the same TV Server code as MP1. Therefore, another possible cause of this error is trying to install MP1 whilst MP2 is installed.

One might have expected that the MP2 developers would have tweaked the TV Server code so that it used different database names, or located the databases in a different folder, but if the developers did not do this, the MP2 version of TV Server will try to access exactly the same databases as the MP1 version of TV Server, which would (I think) give rise to the error message shown above if both TV servers are active.

You can stop the TV Server service in "TV Server Config" or by using the Windows "Services" panel, but the service will start again the next time that you boot. The only definitive way to stop the service running is to uninstall it.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Hi CyberSimian

It was part of my job, as a Windows developer, to uninstall and reinstall products - hundreds and hundreds of times. I have found MP1 to be very reliable when performing an uninstall. I checked the Registry as well as making sure that MP files on the hard drive were also deleted.

My conclusion from all of this is that something is happening in 1.27 that didn't occur in previous versions. The fact that 1.26 installed without any issues, to me, strongly indicates this and, I think, the most important clue as to what is going on. Having said that, I would start by seeing how the setup program handles existing versions to see whether anything has changed there.

I did try MP2 out a while ago, but not on this machine. I would have been interested in MP2 but found it lacked the flexibility, from a user's point of view, of MP1, and abandoned all thought of using it.

But I think you make a good point about possible conflicts where users install both products on the same machine.

Tony

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi ajs

Well done for bringing MP up to VS 2019:). That must have been a huge job. The last time I looked at the code the version was VS 2010:(.

Tony

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    • Reboot.

I have had situations where even doing the above is not sufficient to get a fresh install of MP1 working, I also needed to uninstall MySQL and most important delete the MySQL folders in Program Files and Program Data.

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think uninstalling mysql after uninstalling mediaportal would solve this issue.
    That being said, it still is strange that installing 1.26 works, but 1.27 fails.
    Something must have changed in this (or the functions called from there)
    I know it's a big amount of work with possibly a lot of data loss, but could you check the contents of the server table in mysql, then uninstall mysql+delete data, then install 1.27 and check the contents of that table again?
    If it's not too much trouble that is..

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    As it happens, I am using SQL Server for the MpTvDb database. As the machine onto which I was loading MP1to is my development machine, I had been using SQL Server, with a copy of MpTvDb on it, to test some of my code (add-ons for MP) and had forgotten that it related to tuner cards that were on my production TV Server.

However, 1.27 wouldn't install properly even after I had removed the MpTvDb database from SQL Server, while 1.26 did install.

To be more precise, the 1.27 installation fails right with the dialog I attached earlier at the end of the installing server section (in a server and client installation) and then again when trying to run TV Server Configuration.

I think uninstalling mysql after uninstalling mediaportal would solve this issue.
    That being said, it still is strange that installing 1.26 works, but 1.27 fails.
    Something must have changed in this (or the functions called from there)
    I know it's a big amount of work with possibly a lot of data loss, but could you check the contents of the server table in mysql, then uninstall mysql+delete data, then install 1.27 and check the contents of that table again?
    If it's not too much trouble that is..

To whom was the above directed?

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom