installing 1.3 beta alongside 1.2.3 ?? (1 Viewer)

NewbieFromHell

Portal Member
July 10, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
does this work, have got my 1.2.3 setup with all the addons i like, question is can i install 1.3 alongside so i can try it, just don't wanna break my original setup

thanks

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    does this work, have got my 1.2.3 setup with all the addons i like, question is can i install 1.3 alongside so i can try it, just don't wanna break my original setup

thanks

Hi NewbieFromHell, (good nickname btw:p)

You can't run 2 installations at the same time on one pc I'm affraid..

So you need to check if all your plugins and the skin you like to use is compatible with the new version of MP, and try it..

Offcourse you can backup your current installation and put it back if MP 1.3.0 is not working fine for you..

Let me say that MP 1.3.0 beta is allready very stable.. I'm running it on my main system without problems..

Good luck!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    1.3B is stable enough for most people, I say go for it, All the main plugins work, but some skins and the less mainstream plugins aren't 1.3B compatible yet.

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Oh boy NewbieFromHell,

YOU ARE MISSING OUT BIG TIME! I also have 1.3.0Beta as my main install, and like kiwijunglist mentioned most of the popular plugins are already updated for 1.3.0 Beta. So you should just maybe go to your plugins under the configuration and check online if each of your plugins that you use is updated for 1.3.0 Beta.

But really my setup took ages to startup with 1.2.3, like 3 to 4 minutes to boot!, but since I upgraded to 1.3.0 Alpha (now on Beta) the startup is so fast, I can actually close media portal do a config change and start it up again in seconds!

Now if only TV-Series and Moving Pictures can follow lead... for some reason when opening Moving Pictures for the first time, it takes about a minute to load the options list of: "All Movies, Unwatched Movies, Genres, ....". And when it start scanning for new movies my current movie starts stuttering. (Yes my system does not have that much excess processing power! I'm on a budget P4 3Ghz). But this is nothing new between 1.2.3 and 1.3.0.

EDIT:
    Just to add, your original concern is valid, it would be nice if someone can design a nice 3rd party application that you can use to "backup" and "restore" media portal setups, so that you can instantly backup your current, then do a upgrade, then just backup the new one and jump back to the old backup, then backup again, and jump to the new version.... you get the idea.. I hope...

Last edited:

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Just to add, your original concern is valid, it would be nice if someone can design a nice 3rd party application that you can use to "backup" and "restore" media portal setups, so that you can instantly backup your current, then do a upgrade, then just backup the new one and jump back to the old backup, then backup again, and jump to the new version.... you get the idea.. I hope...

Something like https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/backupsettings-for-tv-server-and-media-portal.45715/ ?

//W

Bernard

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2012
    Centurion
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa

Something like https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/backupsettings-for-tv-server-and-media-portal.45715/ ?

//W
    Yes! I'm bookmarking that thread for later.

Marcus Venturi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm using 1.2.3 and 1.3 beta in parallel.

First I made a backup of the relevant directories by copying them to a safe location:

c:/ProgramData/Team MediaPortal
    c:/Program Files (x86)/Team MediaPortal

Then I installed 1.3. Afterwards I went to Services and stopped the TVService and renamed the directories of the 1.3:

c:/ProgramData/Team MediaPortal 1.3
    c:/Program Files (x86)/Team MediaPortal 1.3

I copied back the backup of 1.2 to the original locations

Then I started the service again.

Now I can switch betwen 1.2.3 and 1.3 by just stopping the service, renaming the folders and restarting the service.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread