Integration of MPC-HC subtitle's engine (4 Viewers)

carmenm

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
France France
Yes. It work. The only issue with dxva mode with Ati card (I don't know with nvidia) is the uvd post processing is not used for hd 720p and beyond resolution. no enhanced detail or noise reduction and so on.
I do not use DXVA postprocessing anyway. Main Idea was to reduce CPU load and get maybe better pic quality than software mode.
I even tried ReClock in the graph (as audio renderer) and it works also (DXVA h.264 video with subs, 23,976 sped up to 25 fps with vsync -> judderfree playback, all because lacking 24p support on TV side)

THat is something that really interests me. I want postprocessing with dxva.
What do you call UVD post processing?
The only post processing that i know of is the one from the nvidia control panel.
Are there other parameters that i can set somewhere? I have a nvidia card so i can try

DucaSP

Portal Member
May 26, 2009
Home Country
Brazil Brazil
Yes. It work. The only issue with dxva mode with Ati card (I don't know with nvidia) is the uvd post processing is not used for hd 720p and beyond resolution. no enhanced detail or noise reduction and so on.
I do not use DXVA postprocessing anyway. Main Idea was to reduce CPU load and get maybe better pic quality than software mode.
I even tried ReClock in the graph (as audio renderer) and it works also (DXVA h.264 video with subs, 23,976 sped up to 25 fps with vsync -> judderfree playback, all because lacking 24p support on TV side)
THat is something that really interests me. I want postprocessing with dxva.
What do you call UVD post processing?
The only post processing that i know of is the one from the nvidia control panel.
Are there other parameters that i can set somewhere? I have a nvidia card so i can try

UVC and post processing are different animals.... UVD is the marketing name for ATI's DXVA implementation, as PureVideoHD is the marketing name for nVidia's DXVA implementation.

The problem with 780G chipset (as well as whith Geforce 8200 and 8300 solutions) is that the memory access is performed by the CPU itself, not the chipset, thus, those chipsets have to use Hyper Transport to request memory access to the CPU. The other problem (this is 780G and 790GX exclusive, as Geforce 8200 and 8300 doesn't use any kind of dedicated memory) is that even when you have that 128MB of dedicated memory, it simply is not enough for DXVA + Post Processing. So, you really need to access the main memory, and here is the catch...

When you are using an Athlon 64, Athlon X2 or Sempron, the Hypertransport bus speed is not fast enough to allow those graphics chipsets to do DXVA for HD videos and Post Processing at the same time... This is not a problem for progressive content at all, but if we are talking about interlaced content, it won't be de-interlaced at all when using DXVA in such platform, and believe me, that sucks... HD TV in Brazil is mostly based on 1080i content, and even what is not natively 1080i, television networks "upsample" it to 1080i. I have some friends that were using 780G + Athlon X2 and were complaining about image quality.

Altough, for all those chipsets, there is a simple work-around... Upgrade your CPU to a Phenom or a Phenom II. Both CPU's have speedier Hyper Transport BUS speeds and they are able to perform post processing on HD Video using above mentioned chipsets. Some other people tried to overclock HyperTransport BUS speed on their Athlon X2 CPU's and got it working, but, it seems that you need to mess with registry hacks to unlock post processing in such cases.

Please don't contact me asking how to do that, I don't even own an AMD CPU so I really don't know the details, all I know is because I've built a HTPC for me and did a lot of research before choosing parts, to make sure that whateve I was buying would please me. I'm pretty sure that some google research on the subject for those willing to overclock Hyper Transport BUS speeds and mess with registry changes will yeld good results, altough, overclocking is a dangerour game unless you know what you are doing, and registry hacks are not always guaranteed to work as long as drivers progress (this is a nice way of AMD telling people "go buy some Phenom's, they're cheaps today, we have some Phenom's almost as cheap as some X2's").

carmenm

Portal Pro
April 15, 2008
Home Country
France France
Some very interesting info. And as i was expected i am doing post processing with my nvidia 9400 using nvidia control panel(though very limited).
So now the real thing i am waiting for is integration of mpc-hc shaders in MP ;) that way i will be able to do eveyrhting i do now with ffdshow on my gpu!

Thanks a lot for the explication

camoura

Portal Pro
May 29, 2007
Has anybody tested .idx/.sub support?

I *might* have a video corruption problem only when playing movies with .idx/.sub files.

Video continuously flashes back and forth in a split second loop. Sound continues fine. The only way to revert back to normal playing is stopping the video and playing it again, or changing subtitles language.

I still have to test it further, but it seems that movies with .srt subtitles are not affected.

- Video card is an ATI 3450.
- Movie is encoded with x264
- mkv container
- dxva enabled
- 480p video (SD)

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I've not seen any problems with sub/idx subs wheater it's HD or SD in mkv.

zork17

Portal Member
    May 6, 2009
    MPC HC has the ability to override the subtitles placement. I need it so I can place the subtitles on the movie frame and not below it.
    Is it possible?

I managed to implement it:

1) I wrote a simple external application that is mapped to an unused key in my remote. When it executes it toggles a state (enable or disable) and reads an offset from a file and stores them in shared memory block.

2) I've added few lines of code to the Render function in SubManager.cpp to add the offset (from the shared memory block) to the y variable (if the mode is enabled) thus allowing me to control the vertical position of the subtitles.

I'm new to MP, but it will be nice if someone with more knowledge will add this functionality permanently to MPC HC Subs and also to the MP Subtitles OSD Menu (so there won't be a need to the external application).

camoura

Portal Pro
    May 29, 2007

Yesterday, I watched a movie but instead of using idx/sub subtiltes, I converted them to .srt.

Guess what, no problem at all. Movie played flawlessly from start to end.

What could be going wrong??

cpp2005

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 7, 2006
    I updated first post with latest version, it includes updated MPC-HC code (with Disable animation option) and "white skin" bug fix.

Yesterday, I watched a movie but instead of using idx/sub subtiltes, I converted them to .srt.
    Guess what, no problem at all. Movie played flawlessly from start to end.
    What could be going wrong??

Can you attach the subtitles, I will check.

MPC HC has the ability to override the subtitles placement. I need it so I can place the subtitles on the movie frame and not below it.
    Is it possible?

1) I wrote a simple external application that is mapped to an unused key in my remote. When it executes it toggles a state (enable or disable) and reads an offset from a file and stores them in shared memory block.

2) I've added few lines of code to the Render function in SubManager.cpp to add the offset (from the shared memory block) to the y variable (if the mode is enabled) thus allowing me to control the vertical position of the subtitles.

I'm new to MP, but it will be nice if someone with more knowledge will add this functionality permanently to MPC HC Subs and also to the MP Subtitles OSD Menu (so there won't be a need to the external application).

Did you try "position relative to video frame" option?

vuego said:
    I'm not sure what was changed but it did work correctly in the old version (around 11th April). See two screenshots of 2.40:1 video, both using "Position relative to the video frame" (Desktop texture resolution on the new version). As I understand it, the old version would automatically use the Desktop texture resolution setting found in the new version...?
    Do you have "Round to power of 2" option checked? I think it was on by default in old version, while in new version it is off.

zork17

Portal Member
    May 6, 2009

Did you try "position relative to video frame" option?

Yes. "position relative to video frame" works in most cases, except for Bluray Disks.
    In BD, MPC-HC (and also Media Info) shows every movie (the M2TS file) as 1920x1080 even though the movie itself is ~1920x800.

I've added a button to the subtitles menu in the videoOSD.xml of my skin (StreamMP) to launch the external app.

I think the solution should come from MediaInfo, but if not, then an option to manually move the subtitles during playback (like in most media streamers) in MPC-HC is also a good option. The last option will be to put it in your dll (maybe in a nicer way than I did).

camoura

Portal Pro
    May 29, 2007
    Can you attach the subtitles, I will check.

Thanks fot the attention.

It is not a matter of a specific subtitle. Any movie with any subtitle can present the problem. Actually, the problem happens even if subtiltles are off (subtitles are in the mkv, but not showing)

Problems occur at different parts of the movie. The same movie can freeze at let's say 4 minutes or at 10. It can freeze many times, just once or never. Again, that with the same movie.

If you don't have any idx/sub, please let me now and I'll attach some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom