IP/Web Camera Plugin (1 Viewer)

milau

June 20, 2007
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
I'm testing Logitech WiLife IP camera and I would really love to see the video in MP. I tried CamPlayer plug-in which would completely satisfy me if it worked. Seams obsolete. It would be really cool controlling the view around the house with a remote controller...

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    +1 I also recently bought the Logitech Wilife System, the point seems to be that the system not really has an interface, aside of direct connection on port 8080, whch is not working in every case....

maybe someone has an idea?

cheers

charli181

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 3, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I mucked around with USB webcams and MP about a year ago. I was going down the lines of having Picture in Picture which would allow for motion sensing and pop up when detected. Issue there is no ability to do PIP. The solution I cam up with was to build a process plugin that used the notfiy box and a little app that sent out a udp broadcast that the plugin would listen to. The plugin would then grab a static jpg from a defined location a presto. The issue there was that the picture was too small to have of value.
    I then built a client app which was sizable and would overlay on top of MP. This would minimise back after a predifined time. In this case I used VLC to steam the webcam and the client used the vlc active x to display the video. Again the draw back here was that MP needed to be ontop all the time (for other reasons) and therefore, the client App never got the focus....

Just though I would add my 2 cents worth on what isseus I have come across. I have since stop playing with this idea as I have other projects and work on the go, but I may comeback to it one day if nothing has been done.

bobbozzo

Portal Member
    May 24, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Please look into integration with ZoneMinder, an free & Open-source (GPL) Network Video Recorder app... it can run programs when it detects motion, etc., and it can be viewed over the web, so the following should be fairly easy:

assume ZM is running on a Linux server somewhere on the LAN or internet.

1. MediaPortal should be able to display one or more camera(s) from ZM (using a web browser such as FF XULRunner or simply pulling the MJPEG stream in directly).

2. A script (perl or whatever) could be written for ZM to call, which would send a message via TCP or UDP to MP to notify MP of a motion event, so MP can alert the user and display the video.

ZoneMinder: Linux Home CCTV and Video Camera Security with Motion Detection

Thanks,
    Bob

Also, most IP cameras publish a MJPEG or MPEG stream via HTTP; a few such as Axis can send a notification via IP to a remote server.

IceFluffy

February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    This is what I love about communities:

A post started in 2005 and on Aug 2010 still no real answer or a solution!
    Greta work community!

fripsy

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2008
    Grasse
    Home Country
    France France
    This is what I love about communities:

A post started in 2005 and on Aug 2010 still no real answer or a solution!
    Greta work community!
    The problem is that not many people need this...

To create a PiP with a stream from VLC shouldn't be that hard to do.
    I started working on a PiP-plugin just a few weeks ago, I used the VLC activex to display a second live tv channel while watching another live channel full screen.
    Showing the PiP on top of live tv isn't a problem, trapping keyboard keys isn't either, but trapping the remote control...

I guess it wouldn't be to hard to limit the PiP to only display a fixed stream from a videosource coming from VLC server.
    Now the real problem, I would gladly provide you with the source of what I came up with, but... I'm on a bussinesstrip till the end of april... :(

I guess since this thread started in 2005, another 2 months wouldn't be ...

IceFluffy

February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Wow! Never had such a quick reaction on a forum before! Especially not on a 7 year old thread.

Thx for the reaction and the offered help. I'm not a programmer at all. Setting up a streaming server in VLC is a great idea!
    The thing is that I want a PiP to pop up when the IP Cam detects movement. So I will have to set up another type of server and subscribe to that server.

Cheers

fripsy

Portal Pro
    December 11, 2008
    Grasse
    Home Country
    France France
    A plugin that compares an image from a stream with that same stream 1 second ago, if a difference detected: popup Pip.
    That's all you need!

Just need someone to create it...

Edit: Just looking at some motion detection code, this doesn't seem to be to complicated ...
    If someone is preprared to take this on, I could try to remember, of the top of my head, how I did the PiP part, as I don't have the source with me...

Edit2: Afterwards, append facial recognition, so MP can tell you who rang the doorbell !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom