IP/Web Camera Plugin (2 Viewers)

Downzy

Portal Pro
January 5, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Home Country
G'day,

Let me just say that aside from some Pascal and Cobol programming about 8 years ago, I don't really have any idea about programming. I'm hoping that someone out there likes this idea enough to take it on as a project. Due to my limited experience, I have no idea how easy/hard/impossible it may be. However, the rate that Media Portal is growing and improving makes me think that there are some really switched on guys out there in the forum, that might be willing to take on the challenge.

I have this possible scenario that would be nice to be able to acheive. An IP camera at your front door, that can easily be viewed in a Picture inPicture type arrangement from Media Portal.

I've seen software that can detect motion in the data stream from a camera, and start recording. It would be nice if there was a plugin that could monitor the stream from an IP/Web camera, and if someone comes to the door, it would detect the motion, and pop up a little window in the corner of the screen so that you can see who is there.

I assume that it would be already possible to view the camera stream using built in functionality of Media Portal, but a little extra functionality built on to that would be great!

Let me know what you think, I hope someone likes it enough to have a crack at it...

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Hmm...would be a nice feature. I have a Panasonic IP Camera that I can view via its web interface. However, I'm not sure how it exposes the video stream, i.e. there's no drivers for it so you can't use it like a capture device.

Anyone had a closer look?

Sam

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Xbox media center had a similar function ....
    ...i can display the PC's USB web cam video and audio(from a mic) to Xbmc
    using mms protocol...

theres detailed instructions on how to get this working HERE : http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-b...f11031337bfdb048fe2b8959a3c;act=ST;f=8;t=2412

it uses TinCam ...a non-free app that lets u send info from the PC to the Xbox...the xbox could only support mms feeds so that why its used

However in MP...on the PC platform i guess there would be another way...since a PC is much more flexable

if MP could send via an mms protocol to another pc this may work ..the other PC simply needs to

the real question is ...can MP do this natively?

Downzy

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Home Country
    Glad to see that there is a little bit of interest...

Am I correct that there is already functionality to view Internet TV using MP? If so, would that be a similar function?

Maybe I should post this idea in the Feature request forum. I didn't see that one when I posted this idea, but it might be a more suitable spot.

Anyone else out there like this idea?

Cheers,
    Downzy

Damdy-Cash

Portal Member
    February 23, 2005
    Langenfeld
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I´ve be interested of this Feature too.
    I think that is a very good Idee to make MP "all in one" for Home include Security- Features.

Regards Damdy

bakra

Portal Pro
    December 27, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This is just what I'm looking for!!!
    I bought an IP camera and i'm looking for a way to use it as a security cam in MP.

A Frater

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Brisbane,Australia
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    that would be cool for webcam in MP i am going to set a few up around the house and connect via a hub so for me to view more than one would be cool plus some way to flip the image (need to mout cam upside down on base) :D

RoyN

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2006
    Ì'd like to have support for Sony IP Cameras.... Otherwise I will just use the webbrowser, but having a dedicated plugin is coolerI think...

I might try it if no one else does...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom