IR has stopped working (1 Viewer)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Country flag
    My HTPC recently stopped responding to IR signals. At first I suspected a HW problem, but the problem remains with two different IR sources (one an original MCE remote with fresh batteries) and with two different IR receivers (one the onboard CIR decoder on my motherboard, the other the USB IR I/F from my HTPC case.
    The next logical suspect was a SW problem, but I can find no evidence of SW changes around the time the problem appeared. Device Manager shows all of the recognized HID devices as working normally.
    Fortunately, I can still operate MP via either of two different RF keyboards (one using a USB dongle, the other using the built-in keyboard I/F of the HTPC case).
    In the absence of any better indication of where the fault may lie, I am toying with the following two possible courses of action:
    1. Install MP2. If it shows the same problem, then the cause is presumably at a deeper (e.g. system) level.
    2. Reinstall the entire HTPC. Since I am still running Windows 7, whose support will soon end, I will have to do this soon anyway.
    Of course, I would be much happier to clearly identify the cause of the problem.
    Can anyone suggest any more precise diagnostic or troubleshooting procedures?

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Country flag
    P.S. To answer my own question, a little more research has turned up Stéphane Lenclud's HID Demo. Thanks Stéphane! I'll see what it shows.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Country flag
    HID Demo doesn't see anything from the remote, just from the keyboard. As I am reluctant to believe this is a HW problem (see above) is there any way to find out what is wrong at deeper SW layers (e.g. driver, OS)?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Country flag
    My HTPC recently stopped responding to IR signals.
    Both of the USB IR receivers that I own have red LEDs that illuminate momentarily when the HTPC powers on (presumably when Windows is querying the device), and illuminate when they receive a signal from the remote control. Does either of your IR receivers do this?

The green marble button on an MCE remote starts WMC or MP from the desktop. For MP, the code that does this is different from the code that responds to the remote when MP is running. Do either of your remotes start MP from the desktop?

The symptoms of your problem are really puzzling. It is not obvious what the cause might be.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Country flag
    @CyberSimian
    Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, neither of my IR receivers have such a helpful indicator LED. Since @Stéphane Lenclud 's HID Demo sees nothing I presume that the signals are being blocked in the OS, even though I don't find any updates which coincide with the start of the problem. I have lots of "recommended" updates which I haven't installed, as I usually install only the "important" or "Security" updates. I also have two uninstalled "optional" (but not "recommended") updates pertaining to IR, but they are quite old, so I can't imagine why they should suddenly become necessary. Since I have little to lose at this point, I will start installing them one by one to see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
    bigboss97 Does anyone has a SoundGraph imon remote file for MP2 to share? General 0
    F MCE Remote has no focus General 6
    A UK - BBC2 EPG suddenly has several programs daily with 'No information' Electronic Program Guide 57
    CyberSimian Has anyone ever seen a multichannel-audio icon for TV? Watch / Listen Media 15
    toricred Using TMM, How to Stop Importer From Going to The Movie Database for Data General 1
    mickb [solved] Mediaportal Stops working General Support 5
    D [solved] Movie artwork download stopped working Submit: Bug Reports 9
    M MP 2.2.3 Unable to play .ts recordings and MediaPortal stops working for TV viewing General 31
    ajs [solved] 4982: Why this error hard stop when Mediaportal start? MediaPortal 1 3
    2BitSculptor MP 1.23.. music stops playing General Support 6
    M MP1 stops responding after Starting Plugins General Support 14
    fredco [solved] Large import not working Moving Pictures 15
    W Recordings will not stop General Support 8
    S [solved] Live TV playing stopped General 13
    R [solved] Watching a record during recording stops sometimes 2.2 Archive 30
    N [confirm] Calling RemoveScheduleForProgramAsync does not stop the recording if it is currently in progress MediaPortal 2 1
    N [confirm] Playing a recording, then pressing stop does not leave cursor on the recording MediaPortal 2 21
    N [will not fix] Changed settings do not take effect until MP2-Client is stopped and restarted. Submit: Bug Reports 4
    D Skip to end/live during dvbip recording causes it to stop playing instead. General Support 15
    Glith Sound stops working after first playback 1.21 88
    Patrik-See [solved] MediaPortal 2.2 Fernseher bleibt schwarz nach TV Sender Stop Allgemeines Support- und Diskussionsforum 2
    C [solved] how to stop recording? General 3
    B Server service on the service monitor keeps stopping randomly. Client can't see server status. 2.2 Archive 5
    A TV playback intermittently stops on clients Television (MyTV frontend and TV-Server) 4
    M Scan channels stopped working on Windows 10 Installation, configuration support 1