IR has stopped working (1 Viewer)

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    That's correct: all of the RF keyboards are working, but none of the remotes are. The IR I/Fs stopped working while I was still using Windows 7.
    Since I installed WIndows 8.1 (clean install, no upgrade), I don't yet have a driver for the motherboard CIR I/F. I will have to install either the Intel chipset drivers (which are only for Windows 8.1) or the winbond driver. I figured I should concentrate on the FSC USB IR I/F, which appears to be supported OOTB.
    I believe the Intel CIR has the HW ID NTN0530, but I have no idea how to identify the FSC IR I/F among the over 30 HIDs in my system-

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    all of the RF keyboards are working, but none of the remotes are. The IR I/Fs stopped working while I was still using Windows 7.
    If you plug in the USB IR receiver, you should see something like this in "Device Manager":

device_manager_hid_devices_2.jpg

If you don't see Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver, I think that there are these possibilities:
    • The USB socket has malfunctioned. Check this by unplugging the USB IR receiver and connecting some other USB device to that socket. Does this other device work correctly?
    • The USB IR receiver has malfunctioned. Since there are no moving parts, this is not a common fault. Check this by plugging the USB IR receiver into a second PC that is running Windows Vista or a more-recent version of Windows. If you look in "Device Manager" for this second PC, it should show Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver.
    • The USB IR receiver is not a standard MCE RC6 receiver. It is instead some other type of MCE IR receiver. If this is the case, getting it to work with MP may be more difficult.
    -- from CyberSimian in the UK

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    The FSC IR I/F isn't an external, pluggable USB device. It is internal circuitry on a small PCB connected to a USB port on the motherboard. The only Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver in Device Manager has the HW ID CIRCLASS\IrDeviceV2.
    I think you may have misunderstood me.
    The FSC IR interface worked without problems together with MePo under both Windows MCE 2005 (the original OS on the Scaleo E) and under Windows 7 Pro (the OS I installed after upgrading the motherboard). The motherboard CIR interface also worked fine for years with MP under Windows 7 until late last year.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    I am not sure to understand, but have you tried to install driver with compatibility support?
    I mean on driver setup, you do right click > property > compatibility > select win7 or win8 or also vista if driver was build for.

This, fixed few driver issue for me.

Envoyé de mon LG-H870S en utilisant Tapatalk

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    SInce my clean installation of WIndows 8.1 Pro, I haven‘t installed any drivers. The OS appears to provide OOTB support for the FSC IR I/F, which is what I am trying to use now. I‘ll try setting up the on-board CIR I/F once I have MP 1.26 (or at this point maybe MP 1.27) working properly.

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    I disconnected the PCB supporting the FSC IR I/F. I found the latest driver for the onboard CIR here. Unfortunately, I still can't get the onboard IR to work. I have read that:
    PCI devices do not enumerate properly if the Chipset Drivers are not installed.
    I haven't yet installed the chipset drivers as everything (else) appears to work with the drivers installed by Windows 8.1. However, to my surprise, Device Manager does indicate that the CIR is using a PCI interface, so I will try installing the chipset drivers. I don't have much hope for this, as the chipset drivers were already installed in the WIndows 7 installation at the start of this thread.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    During setup, change compatibility in property to use win7. With this driver will be installed with win7 compatibility also software provided with drivers

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    During setup, change compatibility in property to use win7. With this driver will be installed with win7 compatibility also software provided with drivers

@azzuro Thanks for the tip, but I'm confused. The web page I downloaded the driver from describes it as compatible with Windows 7, 8.1 and 10. Why should I need to install it in compatibility mode?

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France

rsbrux

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 15, 2007
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    It seems I was misled about chipset drivers: there is no way to install them apart from incorporating them into a customized OS installation, and I don't feel like doing that. I used to do it for WIn 7 to allow me to return to a virgin OS from time to time, but the restore process offered by later versions of Windows seems reliable enough that I don't need that anymore, and it's a lot of work. Windows seems to have recognized and installed drivers for everything except the aformentioned Nuvoton driver, so I am moving on to HW solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom