Operating System IR Receiver (USB) not functioning after standby (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Tagging: @azzuro , @RicoHTPC , @Brudertac

Hello community,

Problem: The USB IR receiver is not functioning anymore after the PC resumes from standby and/or hibernate.

This thread is meant to collect information about the problem, discuss and test possible solutions until a general resolution is found and published here.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    A quick search reveals that this seems to be a quite common Windows problem.

Solutions that I have tried:
    • Manually reconnect the receiver - WORKING (but not practical)
      • Disconnect and reconnect the receiver restores functionality
      • @RicoHTPC has reported that disconnecting and reconnecting any USB device restores the receiver functionality
    • Some people reported that plugging a passive USB hub between the PC and the receiver helped - NOT WORKING (for me)
    • Applying Windows problem solution to the devices - NOT WORKING (for me)
      • Under Win 10 the problem solver can be applied to devices in general but not to the eHome receiver in particular.
      • In my case it gives the message that some changes were done and a restart of the computer is required. It does not seem to help though.
    • Registry Tweaks
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Executive
        Change the value of AdditionalCriticalWorkerThreads to 2 - NOT WORKING
    • Use special software to deactivate and reactivate devices at startup/resume - TO BE TESTED
      • Microsoft offers DevCon.exe, which allows extended control of devices. A solution to the problem above that was using devcon.exe was already posted some time back in the German section of the MP forum here
      • Unfortunately this little tool can't be only be downloaded separately but is part of larger Windows packages such as the Driver Kit (WDK), Visual Studio or the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK).
    The last option looks very promising. Did anybody by chance download one of the kits and could provide me devcon.exe for further testing?

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    try usbdeview,
    One step after the other. First devcon.exe
    • The i386 version of devcon.exe can be run under Windows 10. Unfortunately I am getting a message that the device can't be deactivated and the eHome IR Receiver remains active in the Device Manager.
    • The attempt to run the i64 version prompts a Windows 10 error mesage that "this app can't be executed on the PC
    I would have thought though that my 64bit Windows calls for a 64bit version of devcon.exe. It might nonetheless be necessary to download the appropriate version of the SDK (Visual Studio 2015) to be sure to have the correct file version for testing under Windows 10.

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    try usbdeview,
    One step after the other. First devcon.exe
    • The i386 version of devcon.exe can be run under Windows 10. Unfortunately I am getting a message that the device can't be deactivated and the eHome IR Receiver remains active in the Device Manager.
    • The attempt to run the i64 version prompts a Windows 10 error mesage that "this app can't be executed on the PC
    I would have thought though that my 64bit Windoes calls for a 64bit version of devcon.exe. It might nonetheless be necessary to download the appropriate version of the SDK (Visual Studio 2015) to be sure to have the correct file version for testing under Windows 10.

Have you tried running devcon.exe with full Admin rights ?

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What i have tested the last Days since i posted my question regarding this in the Windows 10 Update Thread....

Try´d to restart the eHome Receiver with Devcon
    Problem was that the "Restart" Option does not work. It gave me an Error on re-enabling the Device.
    I also tried to Stop and Start the Device with Devcon. That gave no errors but the Receiver won´t work after that. (But it work if i disconnect the Cable after devcon. :mad: )

I used devcon out of the WDK Kit 8.1 on my Windows 10 64bit Sys.

I made a Batch file which is startet via Automated Tasks after Resume:
    Please keep in mind that the USB ID´s i used will not work on other Systems...

Code:
    @echo off
    C:\DevCon\devcon.exe disable "USB\VID_147A&PID_E042&REV_1101&MI_00"
    C:\DevCon\devcon.exe disable "USB\VID_147A&PID_E042&MI_00"
    REM Ping to give the Device some Time....
    ping 192.168.0.4
    C:\DevCon\devcon.exe enable "USB\VID_147A&PID_E042&REV_1101&MI_00"
    C:\DevCon\devcon.exe enable "USB\VID_147A&PID_E042&MI_00"

Another Solution from Old Windows Vista Times
    I found a thread which pointed me to some Registry Settings wo are force Windows Vista to restart the USB Controller after Wakeup from Resume.
    I tried this under Windows 10 but it looks like it does not work.

The Microsoft Page can be found here. (Ignore the Hotfix as this is only for Vista, just the Registry Edit is Interresting)

EDIT: The described Registry Fix is also found for Windows 7. So maybe there is a way to use this on Windows 10 too. But as i wrote, on my first Test it didn´t work..

EDIT2: I have used the wrong DriverKey for placing the Registry Command, so i try now the hopefully right one. Will need some Time as the PC i used now...

My hope was devcon. Maybe the Team here found another Way to use devcon...

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just a suggestion, but sometimes going into Windows power settings, advanced, and changing the 'USB selective suspend' setting can help with devices not working after resume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom