Is Athlon II X2 245e a good CPU? (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I was looking at the Athlon II X2 245e as a CPU for an HTPC I'm building for my brother, on a motherboard with IGP HD3200.

Would this be a suitable CPU for MP, video encoding and general internet duties?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi doveman

For video encoding it might be more desirable to have a quad core. It is a trade-off though - if you want low power and cheaper then it seems like an okay option. In the past people have had problems viewing 1080i in MP with the HD3200 (just not powerful enough). Don't know if that is still an issue.

mm

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks. I'll bear that in mind and see if I can find a cheap-ish quadcore maybe.

I don't think viewing 1080i is going to be a problem for my brother for a while, as this HTPC is only going to be connected to his old CRT's SCART (VGA-RGB) and running at something like 1024x576! I know the PC's still got to decode the file but I'd imagine the CPU can do that if the GPU's not up to it, but I doubt my brother will be trying to play anything like that anytime soon.

CrashUK

Portal Pro
    July 24, 2008
    Hi doveman

For video encoding it might be more desirable to have a quad core. It is a trade-off though - if you want low power and cheaper then it seems like an okay option. In the past people have had problems viewing 1080i in MP with the HD3200 (just not powerful enough). Don't know if that is still an issue.

mm

The HD3200 can not playback 1080i its just to slow. So sd channels only. Could look at ati4250 still a bit slow for 1080i but can do it just PQ is not as good as other carsds. Could look at with AMD Liano A4 prices are good..

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Bit late there CrashUK ;) I ended up building with an Athlon II X4 630.

Philip Schuster

August 23, 2012
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    the X4 is definitely faster, although it probably consumes more power obviously. But I would probably gone for something like this too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Of course this would be the best option, but I guess it’s not that easy to integrate external players into MP2. It was somewhere discussed, but I could not find the related thread.
    Of course this would be the best option, but I guess it’s not that easy to integrate external players into MP2. It was somewhere...
    Hi there, I have a few questions about the limitations I've discovered (so far, it's early days!) when it comes to watching a tv...
    Replies
    Views
    Strange, USB 3.0 fully compatible with USB 2.0, my iMon remote connected to USB 3.0 port and all work fine without problem. -- Tapatalk | WBR, ajs
    Strange, USB 3.0 fully compatible with USB 2.0, my iMon remote connected to USB 3.0 port and all work fine without problem. --...
    I have a Silvesrtone ML02 case with an IMON LCD display. The motherboard is an Asus E35M1-M Pro and died a couple of days ago, so...
    Replies
    Views
    Hello, I want to see from into MePo an iso DVD and an ISO Bluray disc, but whe they run into MePo I see a green screen without audio. I configured the video and audio codecs following the video playback guide available on this forum. I have to say that recently I uninstalled a video card to put it in another office PC and now for...
    Hello, I want to see from into MePo an iso DVD and an ISO Bluray disc, but whe they run into MePo I see a green screen without...
    Hello, I want to see from into MePo an iso DVD and an ISO Bluray disc, but whe they run into MePo I see a green screen without...
    Replies
    Views
    Then you didn’t use Nereus Skin in MP2. tMM does a great job in combination with MP2 it’s the best, if you ask me.
    Then you didn’t use Nereus Skin in MP2. tMM does a great job in combination with MP2 it’s the best, if you ask me.
    I have been a relatively happy user of MP1 for quite a while. My setup is a dedicated HTPC connected to my TV, a TV capture device...
    Replies
    Views
    MP1 MP2 MP2 DLNA status? DE
    What I meant is that we have a MP2 plugin called UPnP Render that can play media from DLNA servers if I remember correctly. I don't know the current state of the plugin though. That's why MP2 probably never will be certified. ;) Yes, that was also the idea, but it is a big job as all TV's, software etc. seems to not do everything...
    What I meant is that we have a MP2 plugin called UPnP Render that can play media from DLNA servers if I remember correctly. I don't...
    So I'm wondering what the state of play is with MP2 and DLNA functionality? When I started this post, I did see some posts...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom