Is MP destined to end like MeediOS? (1 Viewer)

spachti

Portal Pro
July 27, 2005
Bible Belt
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I would say you blew that chance already.
You know, I will leave you for something better, oh wait, never mind......
And changing the title of the topic after the fact doesn't make it any better.

powermarcel10

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2010
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hello

I was using MP for few years, but over the last year, I'm using KODI, which is far better than MP in every aspect..
    at this point, I don't know why bother developing plugins and skins for MP... it's so outdated in comparison to KODI.
    simple things - like IPTV , streaming torrents, and a huge community - exists in KODI long ago, while in MP we don't see it... plus the fact that MP is Windows-only - and you got a poor product.
    KODI runs on almost every platform that there is on the market...

so actually it is a goodbye from MP, you served me well few years, sorry it didn't last...
    thanks to all of those who worked hard to bring the software to its grown and stable stages.

thanks.
    What a bullshit post. Please go to Kodi and stay there! I know both platforms very well, and I like MP by far more.

Bye bye

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Chaps, please all take a chill-pill :D
    Topic starter admitted he could have opened the thread a bit more nuanced, so let's make/keep it a positive discussion!
    Everybody has his preferences, so maybe we can all learn from eachother here. And there is always a chance that good stuff from alternative software ends up as a plugin for MP1/2 ;)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well KODI comes with its fair share of issues as well, the experience under Windows isn't always that great and plugin development and quality can vary a lot.
    For plugins would say that Mediaportal is a bit better due to the nature of .NET where you have a lot of existing libraries to build on and code standards are more strict but that is based on my relatively short experiences with Python so could be wrong.

Do use Plex for on the go which is based on it just with different developers which do have a few things better handled, you can stream from everywhere and also use an cheap stick (Roku) for on vacations but for normal HTPC at home Mediaportal works best for me and has so for the last 10 years or so.
    On every new KODI release I do try it out but miss a lot of features I got used too, the KODI team is slowly bringing some features over though like the time skipping which the developers previously said they would never add because it wasn't intuitive.

For on-the-go Plex/Kodi has it beat especially with the great companion apps, this is lacking under Mediaportal and it's too bad ampDroid development was halted as that would have filled the gap.

Mediaportal being Windows only does have its downsides however with today's low-powered x86 solutions that isn't really an issue anymore, yes it can be a bit more expensive however you get more in return than your average rPI / stick (computing power / upgrade ability).
    Microsoft is working hard to make .NET multi-platform (open-sourcing parts) so maybe in the future we will see that happening.

The thing is that Mediaportal 1 has had a stable development for a long time and is mature enough to not need a new build every month as it has all the core features you would expect from a HTPC solution.
    So from the outside it will look like development is stalled while in fact it's feature complete and just needs maintenance for bugifxes and new OS support.

Plugins are still being developed by the community for it to add features like to support streaming services (Spotify / Netflix etc..) so you aren't missing out on any of that, some plugins are even more expansive under Mediaportal.
    Just like KODI it's all community driven so as long as people keep developing I don't see Mediaportal dying anytime soon.

Last edited:

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    For me as well, Kodi looks great until I try to use it beyond the initial awe provided by the snappy GUI.

MePo pros:

* TV-Series plugin gives me perfect results with very little work, in Kodi, I'd have to rename/sort all of the media in my series directory manually to have it picked up nearly as neat.

* Same thing with Moving Pictures and IMDB+.

* The backend configuration is so powerful and intuitive.

* The remote section effortlessly allows for super easy setup without third party applications.

* The picture quality is noticeably better.

MePo cons:

* Crashes everytime I close it

* Music section is horribly outdated to the point I no longer play music with my HTPC, I use my AVR's phone app instead. I wish it could have an online supported plugin like Moving Pictures or TV-Series where you wouldn't even need proper tags.

Kodi pros:

* Fast, pretty GUI

* Runs on more than Windows

Kodi cons:

* Very anal about media naming. Picks up two shows in my TV-Series folder, but not all seasons. I have plenty more and MePo NEVER fails here.

* Same as above for my movie folders.

* Remote support is a joke.

If the scraping could be better, I'd might reconsider, cause I just have better things to do with my rare spare time then rename media files, lesser picture quality or not. I think the remote control issues annoying, but it's a one time setup annoyance, really.

Emph

blub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2013
    Giessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK here my 2 cents:

I used MP more than a year an I loved it, it was and still is a great product.

What made me to move to Kodi for the time being:

MP titan skin extended was dropped
    I did not like the media management structure

Kodi pros:

Awesome cool and fast GUI which is totally configurable - see Titan Mediabrowser skin!

Emby plugin is great. All media management via web interface, couldn't be better.

Plugin management from GUI

Kodi cons:

LiveTV is working bit just isn't that good as MP

Windows integration not that good:
    A) keep kodi window on top
    B) video stutter due to problems with aero

So you either have the kodi window always on top or once in a while stuttering video playback

MP cons:

LiveTV is just perfect
    No video stutter or keep MP on top problems

Video quality:
    I have not yet seen a significant drop in video quality however playback is less buggy in MP - I have some files that always have judder during playback in kodi which ply fine in MP at the same and correct refresh raye

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom