is the IMDB part legal? (1 Viewer)

sebutzu

December 16, 2005
I noticed Media Portal (my Videos) has a part that connects to IMDB. Is this part legal? Their licence excludes robots and page scrapping...?
Anyone asked them for a written permission to do so?

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
This is a good point. Their terms, however, do seem to be more worried about commercial uses of their data than private use such as seen in MediaPortal. If asked, however, they would probably be forced to say no because of the conditions in the Terms of Use. Perhaps a "don't ask, don't tell" arrangement would be best?

http://www.imdb.com/help/show_article?conditions

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

as jawbroken said: Don't ask, don't tell. ;)

But reading through the conditions, this sentence, i think, is the importand one.
    Licensing IMDb Content; Consent to [b said:
    Use[/b] Robots and Crawlers:]..to use IMDb content for your non-personal (including commercial) use..

MP is a robot or crawler if you wish to call it so. But it does not crawl or robot IMDb itself.

The user of MP is crawling. If the user uses the information "non-personal" he has to get a license by IMDb. So the user, not MP, is doing something illegal, but only if he uses the content non-personal. But I think most users use the infos just for their own, so there is no problem.

Everything IMHO! :)

Flip

wishywashy

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2005
    Hill AFB, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Yes FlipGer, I think your correct.
    Media Portal (see it as a company) is not useing IMDB info. It is the end user that uses the info. It would be different if MP came stock with 10,000+ movie listings already embedded by IMDB sources.

dhanjel

Portal Pro
    July 24, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Yeah and MP is not exactly hiding that the information comes from IMDB either so they get their credits ;) (But they do however loose income on banners and such)

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Hi,

I think that more hits they get more valuable their marketing value will be, hense more money from banners etc they can ask.

CoolHammer

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

restarting is supported but depends on the reason why it failed. As an external tool try JDownloader.org - Official Homepage
    restarting is supported but depends on the reason why it failed. As an external tool try JDownloader.org - Official Homepage
    Earlier this year I changed my internet service provider from a landline (where I was consistently overcharged), to a mains-powered...
    Replies
    Views
    Hi, First off: there are some issues with the latest Mediaportal (32bits vs 64bits), so that is one of the issues you're stumbling with. If you take the previous version (1.31) it should work as expected. For IPTV there is also a different option (with different pros and cons): Onlinevideos. I'm using that sometimes for my IPTV as...
    Hi, First off: there are some issues with the latest Mediaportal (32bits vs 64bits), so that is one of the issues you're stumbling...
    Hi I am trying to play a m3u file from my IPTV provider, but when I try to install the TV part of Media Portal v1.3.2 I get an...
    Replies
    Views
    That's great. Glad there is no issue.
    That's great. Glad there is no issue.
    I am in the process of moving my media portal installation to a new PC running Windows 11. I open TV-Server configuration go to TV...
    Replies
    Views
    Fresh install of MP with Moving Pictures and IMDB+ (newest versions) on a new Windows 10 machine. Started scraping part of my library. I'm used to a relatively smooth and fast process. But now it was EXTREMELY slow. Also many titles that always gets identified by IMDB+ now were not. Themoviedb.org instead provided details. At first...
    Fresh install of MP with Moving Pictures and IMDB+ (newest versions) on a new Windows 10 machine. Started scraping part of my...
    Fresh install of MP with Moving Pictures and IMDB+ (newest versions) on a new Windows 10 machine. Started scraping part of my...
    Replies
    Views
    If I understand correctly, your device is combination of DVB-C tuner, router and some web access to play the channels in PC web browser. You can sniff http comunication with the help of Wireshark or Fiddler to determine channel url which can be used to create IPTV channel in TV server. If the url is not static(changes dynamically)...
    If I understand correctly, your device is combination of DVB-C tuner, router and some web access to play the channels in PC web...
    So, I appear to have done a successful install of Media Portal (MP2 vers. 2.5) on my Windows 10 machine but I can't get it to get...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom