Is this the ulitmate HTPC case? (1 Viewer)

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
no.. certainly not the ultimate HTPC case.

case is too big.. and the screen is too small.
looks pretty useless as an HTPC case in my opinion.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    There is a problem using this type (a screen for control of MP) of HTPC case with using MediaPortal. There has been noted problems using MediaPortal for use wiht dualscreens. Dualscreen so that the main information (TV video, Movie, Music visualization, etc) is shown on the bigscreen while the controlling is on the small screen. The issue has been described with having DX control of the second screen, it appears like DX can only have exclusive control of only the primary screen. MediaPortal was never designed to be used such that a videoscreen like you see on this HTPC would be the control screen.

However, there has been work to use PPC (Microsoft based PDA) as a controller - but it seems that work has been quiet (thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mpblue_ppc_client_release_0_0_4-t3060.html). Once that work is completed using a PDA (or smartphone) or maybe even using a small UMPC would be a perfect method to have a high-end controller for MP.

geov

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 1, 2006
    Cape Town
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Looks cool, but pointless for using it as the main HTPC. Perhaps a good choice for a standalone server that needs a screen when doing maintenance or configuration...

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Looks cool, but pointless for using it as the main HTPC. Perhaps a good choice for a standalone server that needs a screen when doing maintenance or configuration...

I agree, has a high coolness factor, but to change channels you need to get up and walk over to the HTPC. Not too effective.

Check out this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/ricavision_vista_remote_sideshow-t20959.html?t=20959
    Has a coolness factor and effective (so it seems). But, not to sure about battery life. If somehow a MP plugin could work with this remote - THAT would be cool.

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Well, for me cases with a touch screen do make sense.

Of course this must not be the only way to control the htpc. An additional remode (be it side kick or a PDA) is absolutely necessary. However, my future setup will be just a beamer and a HTPC-case with touch screen. I often just want to listen to one CD ripped to my harddisk. Therefore I don't want to switch on my beamer and in most cases I don't find my remote as quick as I would like to hear music... ;-)

The S-21T has one BIG advantage over the other touch screen cases: It is able to display a resolution of 1920x1080 at least scaled and that means, that even with a full hd beamer, you could use clone mode at least until a really good and universal "display-remote-plugin" is available to display always a menu on the touch screen while watching TV on the beamer.

And besides that: It really looks gorgeous - until you see the price...

I tried to start a discussion about this topic over here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=13449 but it seemed like not really many are interested in this.

cheers,
    Michael

Users who are viewing this thread