Jump backward in PCR detected! (1 Viewer)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Nice that you found out how to fix the issue with TsWriter & Italy DVB-T. But I would still say that it's better not put that patch in SVN. Here's some reasoning:

1) PCR/PTS/DTP patching needs a completely re-write (current TsWriter code is really UGLY, but we know the guilty guy already :) )
    2) The patch contains a lot of "magic" numbers (0.5 10...) Those are most propably going to break some other broadcaster's signal
    3) It would require huge amount of testing that we could make sure that it's not breaking other streams

So until the dev(s) have re-written the timestamp patching in TsWriter it would be much safer to only patch TsWriter for all users in Italy, just to make sure that we aren't opening a can of worms for other users.

xurr

Portal Pro
    May 3, 2006
    Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Any italian user can download the TsWriter.ax I compiled and posted two days ago, obviously we won't be able to benefit from new TVE3 SVN if other parts of the TsWriter code are updated but at least we can watch TV again!

Please be aware PTS/DTS handling seems to be definitely broken in the current code, since it only takes into account the "forward" hole, not the "backward" hole... from what I can see from the code, PTS/DTS are not updated when PCR jumps backward and are always updated when PCR jumps forward, is there any reason for this logic?

Probably this never really works when there are actual jumps in PCR timestamps, it looks like most of the channels (including most of the italian providers, but Mediaset!) simply do not trigger this feature at all.

Ciao,
    X

PS: The "magic" number in the patch have been "inspired" by similar numbers from the original code: step=0.02, jump_detection_difference > 10L :)

Cybertex

Portal Pro
    August 9, 2007
    Milano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi xurr,
    the recording part seems to be still broken:
    - Recorded length displayed in the top bar is wrong,
    - Skipping and fastforward aren't always working. Several times, when I try to fast forward or skip, the show start to play always from the same point (could be the start of recording, one minute later, or other).

These two bugs still exist, but it's possible to watch a recorded show (without skipping or ffwd, of course) without freeze or similar.. I recorded a lot of stuff to test, now I'm playing it to verify.. I'm becoming high-skilled in soap-operas :(

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    off topic

1st, sorry for the off topic ;-)

Cybertex,

during fast forward ( x2, x4 ) you can see the movie or you have only the timeline going on and a still picture ?
    I'm experiencing thsi issue not only on recorded live tv shows but on all video files from my videos...

Simone

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This might also be caused by other errors in the file (pmt errors, bad packets) and doesn't necessarily to the PCR bug.
    It would help if you could post a small portion of the recording were the problems happen so we can analyze the file

Cybertex

Portal Pro
    August 9, 2007
    Milano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    1st, sorry for the off topic ;-)
    during fast forward ( x2, x4 ) you can see the movie or you have only the timeline going on and a still picture ?
    I'm experiencing thsi issue not only on recorded live tv shows but on all video files from my videos...
    Simone

Simone, I too could only see the timeline going on and a still picture, either in TV and in MyMovies. This was fixed (for me) with one of the last SVN (uhm.. sunday?). Now it is better, but the fast forward isn't as "fluid" as it should be (still images, timeline goes on for 20-30 seconds, another still image, and so on).
    The fast forward or skip problem in recording it's different:
    I'm able to skip or fast forward in the first minutes of the show, then every skip or fast forward restarts the playing of the show always from the same point (maybe the last "correct" point in the PCR timeline.. I don't know).

This might also be caused by other errors in the file (pmt errors, bad packets) and doesn't necessarily to the PCR bug.
    It would help if you could post a small portion of the recording were the problems happen so we can analyze the file

I'll try to post it in next days.. :)

xurr

Portal Pro
    May 3, 2006
    Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Ops, another fix!

Hello,
    unfortunately there was a silly bug in my fix, I exchanged a + with a - in the PCR backward hole calculation (recorder only)!

Please find a new TsWriter.ax attached, which should fix both the incorrect timeline display and the broken video skip position.

Sorry for the "noise", I hope this is the very last fix from me on this topic!

X

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    gemx,

what about adding the option to use the fix only if c:\TsWriter.fix exist ? This will not break anything for working users but will not force Italian people ( and maybe not only them ) to download and keep up-to-date the TsWriter.ax at every SVN update.

Simone

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    gemx,

what about adding the option to use the fix only if c:\TsWriter.fix exist ? This will not break anything for working users but will not force Italian people ( and maybe not only them ) to download and keep up-to-date the TsWriter.ax at every SVN update.

Simone

That would reguire some sort of method for running regsvr32 /u oldTsWriter.ax + regsvr32 patchedTsWriter.ax . Or the installer would need to be patched so that it would ask from the user if he wants to use the specific version of TsWriter.ax . I would say that both are too complicated for a short time sollution (at least I hope that it wont take more than a month to get the rewrite done).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom