Let me donate bitcoins to support mediaportal. (1 Viewer)

MediaPortal should accept bitcoins for donation.

• YES!

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • NO! (please, explain why)

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

findftp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 20, 2011
    Nootdorp
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    edit december 21sth 2014: Since this is the first result when searching for "mediaportal bitcoin" I would like to point out that you can donate them at this link

Can the NO voters please leave a message why?
    Why would anyone unaccept 10 bitcoins for donation while they are currently exchangable for more than 1000 USD?
    Why would you believe that paypal is a better medium of exchange?
    I didn't vote, but there are two problems with bitcoin:
    1. It's more work for us (the team). Not only do we have to setup and manage a wallet, but we also have to exchange all bitcoins we get to hard dollars or euros so that we can pay bills with it.
    2. The exchange rate is very volatile, so the donations we get today could be worth less (or more, for that matter) tomorrow. We're in the business of making software, not speculating with currency.

That said, while I doubt there will be a generic BTC donation method, I think there are team members willing to help if you really want to donate the equivalent of 1000 USD.
    Clean answer, valid points.
    Paypal should accept bitcoins then everybody would be happy (y)

edit december 2014: and how wrong I was with the paypal statement. Price did not do shit ;)

Last edited:

foxbenw

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2011
    Welwyn Garden City
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Obviously no. Unless it became a legal currency when I wasn't looking. I have an old tv I'd like to donate. Would you mind coming round to pick it up and then selling it?

findftp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 20, 2011
    Nootdorp
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Obviously no. Unless it became a legal currency when I wasn't looking. I have an old tv I'd like to donate. Would you mind coming round to pick it up and then selling it?
    I think it comes down to something being valuable enough (for the receiver) for being accepted for donation.
    If your TV would be a state of the art FullHD trueHD 3D tv, the developers would not hesitate to accept it for testing.
    If it was an old crappy 10" CRT, never mind.
    The same counts for gold, which is also no legal currency (anymore, but yet to become)
    No one would refuse it for donation if quantity is big enough.
    In this analogy you can also place bitcoins since they are considered valuable by thousands of people and are exchangeable by something else (goods, services or fiat money)
    Since mediaportal is software and doesn't have anything to do with financial exercises I can understand the choice for USD as the easiest medium of interchange.
    On the other hand, free software should not necessarily mean non-profit software and a financial manager could increase revenue from donations and boost the development with it (by accepting all kinds of donations and understand the value of them).

edit:
    Why does my message have to be approved?

Last edited:

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I just can't understand why anyone, especially charity consumers, would unaccept something really valuable, especially when they are easily convertable into something else.
    basic reason is that we use an automatic system to tag donators through PayPal. The MP-Donator usertitle and some extra stuff are added this way. Any other donation has to be handled manually and so cause extra work that may be better spent on the project right away.

Nevertheless you can send any bc to 1Bg6ifPEaW9B2mRCWyTiRNsXdoN85kRntk and we may find a way to turn them into anything useful sometime. If someone wants a donator sign he should also send a PM with infos to the donation so we can add it manually to the system.

Last edited:

Den70

Portal Member
    February 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I voted "NO".

At this moment the value of a bitcoin is just not stable enough. When you get paid you have to know what you are getting and with bitcoins that is not the case now.

Maybe in the future it will be stable but there is also a very big chance that it could be the next bubble that is about to burst. And no government will step in and save you when that happens.

MP shouldn't take that gamble.

Users who are viewing this thread