Lightpack help! (1 Viewer)

zekaja

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2010
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I quess what can help with the setup of this hypercon, is that distance I have from my TV to the wall, about 40 cm., i quess you wouldn't notice the small offset between leds as much...

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yeah shouldn't be that noticeable as with enough distance you will get overlap between the areas, one of the reasons I put mine on rails so they are raised and can aim them at the wail so afterwards tweak it a bit where the software can not.

zekaja

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2010
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi @Rick164 i have been stalling this jump to raspberry pi and hyperion for a while.. Quess it scares me a little, but if you get a chance could you take a look at this package http://raspberrypi.dk/produkt/kom-nemt-igang-pakke-model-b-plus-deluxe/

Will it do the trick for me? I just have to connect lightpack via USB to the raspberry, but I have been following your reasent thread about different versions of rpi, and got confused.. Also I have to connect it via wifi, will it be a problem?

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Can't recommend using WiFi as there are gonna be latency issues with that (spikes are common), it might work but it really depends on the quality of the access point and local interference.

Have seen some issues with the rPI2 however recently helped a Dutch user and out of the box the rPi2 with Openelec 5.0 just worked, think it comes down to bad luck for some :)
    If you're only gonna use the rPI only for Hyperion can recommend this non-Wifi kit there:

http://raspberrypi.dk/produkt/kom-nemt-igang-pakke-model-b-plus/

Afterwards the install will be straightforward and always around if you need some help setting it up, a short description on how the setup will work and what you will need (full one in the DIY topic):

Option 1 - WS2801 LEDS
    - rPi B+ or rPi2, - if only Hyperion recommend sticking with the rPi B+ as there's no additional benefit.
    - LEDS, WS2801
    - 5V power supply <-- depending on number or leds, anything from 5A - 10A is fine (7A drives 218 leds)
    - Cables to connect leds
    - Some soldering to leds

Additional info:
    Easier to setup and less hardware needed

Option 2 - WS2812B LEDS
    - rPi B+ or rPi2, - if only Hyperion recommend sticking with the rPi B+ as there's no additional benefit.
    - Arduino Uno R3
    - LEDS, WS2812B
    - 5V power supply <-- depending on number or leds, anything from 5A - 10A is fine (7A drives 218 leds)
    - Cables to connect leds
    - Some soldering to leds

Additional info:
    Requires extra install steps to use the Arduino, tends to give a better end results as you get more leds per meter so less blobbing on walls (easier to discern).
    More options to expand / upgrade the leds later on as Arduino (FastLED) supports just about every led type.
    Has complete instructions in the DIY topic as well under the Additional configuration topic.

Last edited:

zekaja

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2010
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Thnx great response.... I will be using my lightpack setup, which should work via USB, with hyperion.. But will keep in mind the wifi latency... I have a new and very fast Asus access point though, so maybe...

Then I'll go for the safe bet rPi B+, it's gonna be a hassle to work out the cabling though, read 15 m and no more ports on my router...

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Ah right totally forgot about the Lightberry via USB, much easier to setup for you that way.
    Asus APs are great with some excellent hardware (rt-ac68u for instance), currently using the Airport Extreme AC for the Orbs and with 1 wall in between the latency is stable most of the time (2ms).
    So long as you can get it lower than 40ms and stable you'll be fine, anything higher will give issues with 24P playback (1000 / 24 = ~42ms per frame).

Let me know how it goes :)

zekaja

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2010
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Nice :) i have the Asus ac87.. Really amazing I love it... I will let you know.. I quess I'll try it out with wifi dongle, I can always cable it later on if it fails me...

pur_berger

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • May 14, 2007
    Vienna
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hello :)

Started to play with Ambibox (RGB issue with SEDU V3 and my stripes - missing RGB Switching feature in Atmowin) which actually works quite good in Windows 8 Mode - uing teh Atmolight Plugin results wit the Last Version you have provided here in a lag of about 2-3 sec. Ambibox is set to 0 Delay. Also when trying teh last Testbuild from you (1.6.1.41) 12 LED are msiing Left and right at the Bottom.

Current Setup:

Seduv3
    APA102 with 48x84x48
    Ambibox 2.1.7

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Can't test that setup so hard to debug without extra info, Atmolight sends am image to it locally where the only limiting factor is how fast it gets processed at the Ambibox end.
    @Lightning303 had some suggestions you could try first and to add on on that:

- Any ambibox logs
    - Mediaportal logs with debug log level
    - Screenshots of AtmoLight config (general and ambibox tab)
    - Screenshots of Ambibox config window with mode used for Mediaportal visible
    - Try previous version of Ambibox (2.1.6) in case they bugged the memory mapping process
    - Check cpu load when AtmoLight is active (i.e. movie playing) to make sure it isn't maxed out

Also can try a older build that was tested with Ambibox specifically just in case I broke something in the latest test version:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/lightpack-help.124568/page-14#post-1145923

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom