linux mce (1 Viewer)

kicelo

Portal Member
November 26, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I would never leave media portal and i bet this thing is a pain to set up. Heres a video of it in action. I only thing I really like the fullscreen look with the overlays thats real nice. I would love to see something like that in MP

TOTMS

Portal Member
March 4, 2007
UK
Bit of a boring video. The camera guy was a bit creative with what he filmed! ;)

I played around with MythTV and geexbox before going over to MP. Whilst both are good and have their charm, getting them up and running was a royal pain.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    hmm.. imo there is a bit too much "it does (..) automatically" in that video......
    i will have a look @ that Linux distr. to see what it realy does ;)

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    I saw that video also a few days ago. IMO another one of those "OMG LINUX rocks" thingies which, when it comes down to it, is just a configuration nightmare. They also straight out lie about MCE.

Dim your lights automatically? turn on the tv automatically? How in the hell should that work without the user configuring it?

Then theres the UI, way too mouse centric. Would you want to wave your wireless gyro mouse around and hope to hit the buttom from a couple of meters away. Give me my old and boring remote control with its "hundreds" of buttons anday.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    ...Then theres the UI, way too mouse centric. Would you want to wave your wireless gyro mouse around and hope to hit the buttom from a couple of meters away. Give me my old and boring remote control with its "hundreds" of buttons anday.

I agree with Inker - I detest the gyro mice or moving a cursor with a fourway or eightway arrows to move a cursor - takes too long and hit or miss at times. It is kinda moving around with a Wii (for games it is fine but not for specific buttons on screen. MP controls is by far the easiest way to get around.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Then theres the UI, way too mouse centric. Would you want to wave your wireless gyro mouse around and hope to hit the buttom from a couple of meters away. Give me my old and boring remote control with its "hundreds" of buttons anday.
    i must say that there are quite a few things in the GUI that i REALY like! :)
    (and would like to see in MP)

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I always recommend to take a look at competitors, especially when it comes to easy of use. Personally I think on this place MP still lacks a bit.

I would like to see influences from eg. settop boxes, dvd players, tv menus, etc. With MP I often still have the feeling to use a computer. With all these menus, hitting UP / DOWN / LEFT / RIGHT / OK / BACK much to often.

So input from other places is always welcome. :)

Flip.

kicelo

Portal Member
    November 26, 2006
    Home Country
    your going to do more configuring then entertaining. I'm not feeling the gyro mouse , i typically don't like moving while watching tv. I love my window mce remote, the more buttons the better!

JeromeF

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2006
    South West
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Wow.

I love MP but that looks so good. I am downloading it now to try it out :)

GoldenEye

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Although I don't like the remote replacement in the video too much at first sight, I am impressed by the media-centric approach. IMO it is an excellent idea to advance the current two-dimensional and hierarchical media center GUI approach into the third dimension.

G.

Users who are viewing this thread