Live TV...Pixellates/Freezes momentarilly....impossible to view...:( (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm assured by a non MePo experienced tech, that level/quality of 95/80 should yield a satisfactory picture......:(
    Would you have a standard TV/Sat tuner in parallel to watch and see if you observe artifacts such as pixelation? The 95/80 are relatively meaningless as this number is reported by the driver. It is not an absolute signal strength measurement. Given the observation that strong winds affect the signal, I would rather believe that your dish is not 100% oriented in the right direction plus maybe not sufficiently fixed. When high winds now start moving the dish, you are really losing focus ;)

Either you get a professional out there to measure the signal strength and adjust the position or you try to get one of these cheap dish finder tools, although these are not very precise, yet better than nothing.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Starting to look like it's a signal strength issue....as originally suggested by mm1352000......:rolleyes:
    LOL, I'm always right. :D
    /sarcasm

In all seriousness I think it's possible you had multiple things going on there, which has made it tricky to pin down. Your security software changes may have been helpful too.

Question remains.....what can I do about the signal strength?? I'm assured by a non MePo experienced tech, that level/quality of 95/80 should yield a satisfactory picture......:(
    Has this expert got any experience with TBS PC tuners? If not, with the greatest respect I would disregard their opinion. Reason being: the 95/80 readings are not really comparable across tuners. They're just numbers that the TBS driver spits out.

If I were you I'd get a professional in, preferably on a day when the weather is not so good and you're getting discontinuities. The professional should have the equipment to read hardware-independent measurements of your signal quality. These can form the basis for a true assessment of what can be done. Possibilities include:
    • moving the dish to a different location with a less obstructed view
    • checking dish alignment
    • replacing LNB and/or cabling
    • inserting an amplifier or attenuator

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom