Live TV...Pixellates/Freezes momentarilly....impossible to view...:( (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Problem seems to occur on BBC1 HD...and BBC2 HD.......I'm not noticing it happen elsewhere
    That's a good observation. Makes it much more likely that it's a signal quality issue... or perhaps a mistake in the parameters for that transponder.

The values in manal control is one thing. What is logged in MePo is decisive when you actually want to watch a channel.
    I would disagree. The reading that is logged is just one snapshot in time. Since manual control shows one snapshot every few seconds, it should give a better understanding.

Maybe the quality is not stable and you observe changing signal leveps, depending on channel and time. This could be due to the dish and/or the LNB, as well as bad contacting in the cables and plugs.
    Perhaps.
    Note that the readings won't necessarily show temporal (jittery) issues, because they're averages... and only captured every few seconds.
    Also, add weather (wind and rain) to the possible causes. As previously mentioned, it doesn't take much more than a centimetre or two of dish movement to compromise signal quality.

This does not explain the 85% cpu load. Don't expect to be able to watch tv without interruptions before you resolve this - which puts us back to the mapping as per the log.
    85% CPU won't necessarily affect TV. It could, but no guarantee. The discontinuities definitely will. In my opinion these are 2 different issues, and the discontinuity one is the more important one to solve (...because it will definitely cause pixellation etc.).

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    85% CPU won't necessarily affect TV. It could, but no guarantee.
    I don't want to argue with you;), but I bet my salary that 85% on the client will affect the TV experience.

Anyway, there are a couple of things that don't run straight on the OP's machine and he may want to sort them out one after one: "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." :D

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ...OK...so searchindexer properly disabled now.....and remote control device/receiver removed...
    and have to say, haven't had any probs for a few days now!!
    Still can't understand why only BBC1 and BBC2 were affected though!!

(Have no problems with NHK World HD...even though Signal strength/quality are both LOWER than those for BBC1/2....)

Still interested in any comments to my query in ealier post #53....

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    and have to say, haven't had any probs for a few days now!!
    So the remote and the related endless loops were the source of the issues.

Still can't understand why only BBC1 and BBC2 were affected though!!
    (Have no problems with NHK World HD...even though Signal strength/quality are both LOWER than those for BBC1/2....)
    Maybe the kind of encoding. Some programs are 1080i others 720p, the former needs more CPU and possibly there is no hardware decoding for these cases, but I am just speculating

Still interested in any comments to my query in ealier post #53....
    Sites like KingOfSat will show you the exact tuning details.

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    So the remote and the related endless loops were the source of the issues?......

NO is the short answer to that somewhat 'selective' summing up of my earlier observation in post #54...:p

Experimenting further...and re-introducing Searchindexer......discontinuities reached a staggering (well staggering to me at any rate!) level of 19870 before signal quality went to zero. Would it be fair to conclude that Searchindexer is at least a 'part' source of my issues??

I wonder if there is a way of running Searchindexer only when MePo is not running???

Perhaps I'll re-introduce the HID remote next.....and report back accordingly!

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Experimenting further...and re-introducing Searchindexer......discontinuities reached a staggering (well staggering to me at any rate!) level of 19870
    Well, this is what I told you to switch off at the very beginning, didn't I? ;)

I wonder if there is a way of running Searchindexer only when MePo is not running???
    Unfortunately not. If you are more interested in indexing what is on the SSD then the good news is that you don't need to do this. The SSD is so quick that the Search Indexer doesn't provide additional benefit. Things are of course different for your TB hard disks.

In the same context you should also deactivate Windows Defender and Defrag!

Perhaps I'll re-introduce the HID remote next.....and report back accordingly!
    1.12 has some improved HID functionality. If you wait a few days you will be able to update to 1.12 pre, which is scheduled to come out on Tuesday. This new version, although not the official final, includes some major bug fixes. I am currently testing and have not found any problem so far.

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    .....Well...a bit more testing with Searchindexer disabled....and discontinuities have returned in abundance on two consecutive occasions...:(

So much for my 'part' conclusion there.....:(

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please post full logs and indicate at what time you had TV issues.

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    OK....an update!!

I uninstalled Spybot/Comodo (replaced with Avira) ....and a couple of weeks have passed now....without incident!

Discontinuities kicked off again today.....beatiful weather here....but HIGH winds......number reached 13000+ before freezing.
    Resource monitor showed processing in the area of 12% to 15%.....so not going crazy this time.
    Signal level still at 95, and quality remained at 80 throughout......

Starting to look like it's a signal strength issue....as originally suggested by mm1352000......:rolleyes:

Question remains.....what can I do about the signal strength?? I'm assured by a non MePo experienced tech, that level/quality of 95/80 should yield a satisfactory picture......:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom