Live TV...Pixellates/Freezes momentarilly....impossible to view...:( (1 Viewer)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
........ Can you untick that and just select "Use MCE remote or keyboard" in the third tab instead?

...I've already done this!!!!...and trying to spot any changes right now!
One immediate problem is that I lose functionality on the remote....:(
(Perhaps it's a 'mapping' thing......something which isn't intuitive to me!!)[DOUBLEPOST=1431272454][/DOUBLEPOST]UPDATE..UPDATE..UPDATE....
Restarted following changes to remote (HID) setting....and Discontinuities started within a couple of minutes....a total of 33 in all.
Have attached to relevant log once more!!
Signal Strength/Quality remained at the same levels indicated earlier today.
FURTHER REFINEMENT.....Problem seems to occur on BBC1 HD...and BBC2 HD.......I'm not noticing it happen elsewhere.....but will now follow this very carefully!

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Not sure if I understand.

The remote is MCE-compatible and MePo should be set up accordingly. Under normal circumstances you don't need to make any mapping changes. What functionality are you losing? Besides of this, do you have a keyboard connected to the PC. If yes, you may want to plug off the IR receiver and work with the keyboard. If problems then disappear you will have at least nailed down the root cause.

Returning to your core issue: the log is showing mediocre signal quality for BBC 1 HD:
    ***** SIGNAL LEVEL: 95, SIGNAL QUALITY: 55 *****

Now these values will depend on what the TV card is signaling, and a low number here is not necessarily the sign of unusable reception. When tuning to another channel that is not giving you problems, does signal/quality show any better in the tvservice.log?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The remote is MCE-compatible and MePo should be set up accordingly. Under normal circumstances you don't need to make any mapping changes.
    Kev is using an Emprex 3009 remote control, which is not an RC6 infra-red remote; the Emprex is an RF remote, which probably does not use the standard MP support for MCE (RC6) remotes. I would suspect that the Emprex is like the Ortek, and generates keyboard shortcuts. Unfortunately, it will generate WMC keyboard shortcuts, and not MP keyboard shortcuts. Some are the same, but others are different; hence the loss of some functions.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @tonewheelkev ,
    The values in manal control is one thing. What is logged in MePo is decisive when you actually want to watch a channel. Maybe the quality is not stable and you observe changing signal leveps, depending on channel and time. This could be due to the dish and/or the LNB, as well as bad contacting in the cables and plugs.

@CyberSimian ,
    Thanks for clarifying. So this remote is not recognized as a eHome device in the device manager? I would still try to run the htpc without it to test if the cpu load increass because of an incorrect remote handlng in MePo.

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Thanks to CyberSimian for clarifying the spec of the Emprex remote!
    I was given to understand, prior to intro of MePo 1.11 that such a remote would hopefully be supported by 1.11 under the Remote/HID tab by using 'Use Generic HID device'......hence the attempt to go via this route!:)

Hopefully...I can go back to using the HID tab.....since the problem with Discontinuities has persisted following the change...?

Needless to say...I will check integrity of plugs/connections from the satellite connection box!

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This does not explain the 85% cpu load. Don't expect to be able to watch tv without interruptions before you resolve this - which puts us back to the mapping as per the log.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    So this remote is not recognized as a eHome device in the device manager?
    The Emprex remote is not one of the remotes that I have in my collection, but if it is like the Ortek, when you plug the Emprex receiver in, an additional keyboard device appears in Windows "Device Manager".

I would still try to run the htpc without it to test if the cpu load increass because of an incorrect remote handlng in MePo.
    I think that this is worth trying, and I would suggest unplugging the RF receiver. It either appears as a keyboard device, or it has its own dedicated driver. If the latter, it might be some unexpected interaction that is causing the problem.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I was given to understand ... that such a remote would hopefully be supported by 1.11 under the Remote/HID tab by using 'Use Generic HID device'
    Yes and no. :confused:

Straight out of the box, the answer is (probably) "no", because the Emprex is (probably) generating WMC keyboard shortcuts, many of which are not recognised by MP. :(

What you need is a way of mapping the WMC-specific keyboard shortcuts to the equivalent MP functions. MP 1.9 (my current system) has a mapping capability for "General HID", but the range of keys that can be mapped is restricted, and so may not include all of the keys that the Emprex is generating.

If MP 1.11 supports a greater range of keys, it may be possible to create a mapping for the Emprex that works correctly for all keys. But if some required keys are missing (not mappable), you would need to use something like AutoHotKey or EventGhost to map the keys. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom