[no Bug] Logs not being written to (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I just (17:51) looked at the logs after seeing a glitch on TV and the TSwriter and TSreader logs last entries were at 15:27 and 15:33.

Last edited by a moderator:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I just (17:51) looked at the logs after seeing a glitch on TV and the TSwriter and TSreader logs last entries were at 15:27 and 15:33.

Pretty hard to say what could cause such. Especially the logs wont tell it :) What kind of glitch you did see? Even EVR renderer hasn't dropped any frames during that time. It is highly likely that broadcaster did f**kup and the stream was already corrupted before it was encoded on the broadcaster's side.

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Yeah, wierd one and I didn't really expect the logs to help much, although I think some of the other files were updated properly :) I've seen this happen on a couple of other occassions recently as well (on my other system probably as I've only recently switched back to this one), so perhaps it's a 1.3a bug.

It was just an audio cut-out/stutter (maybe video as well, had it in the background so wasn't watching it properly). Does the EVR renderer normally show dropped frames when continuity/discontinuity errors appear? I was more concerned with the logs not updating than the gltich though.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Yeah, wierd one and I didn't really expect the logs to help much, although I think some of the other files were updated properly :)

Logs aren't updated if there is nothing to log. So TsWriter nor TsReader didn't see any error in the stream - but they cannot analyze the content itself which could be still valid.

It was just an audio cut-out/stutter (maybe video as well, had it in the background so wasn't watching it properly).

DS Audio renderer doesn't write any logs so it could have been some issue with the audio renderer (highly unlikely).

Does the EVR renderer normally show dropped frames when continuity/discontinuity errors appear?

If the discontinuity causes a video frame to be missing then it will be shown as a dropped frame. If the discontinuity is small enough and video decoder is able to create some frame (even a corrupted one) out of it then there wont be a dropped frame(s) in the EVR stats.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Logs aren't updated if there is nothing to log. So TsWriter nor TsReader didn't see any error in the stream - but they cannot analyze the content itself which could be still valid.

Ah, that makes sense then. I was just surprised as I don't think I've ever seen such a lack of data in those logs but it's probably because I normally change channels more often ;)

If the discontinuity causes a video frame to be missing then it will be shown as a dropped frame. If the discontinuity is small enough and video decoder is able to create some frame (even a corrupted one) out of it then there wont be a dropped frame(s) in the EVR stats.

Thanks, that's useful to know for future reference.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    So this doesn't seem to be a bug. Prefix set to NO BUG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread