MP2 - V2.3 Long delay between stopping a movie/episode and replaying. (1 Viewer)

Lichloathe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have just tried 2.3.2 and I still have the same problems. I really hope there is a solution.
    I'm now in the fortunate position where all my content is tagged and catalogued for offline import thanks to tMM and a lot of fine tuning.
    I keep wondering if my server needs more grunt as I do have a Plex server running although it is idle most of the time.
    Anything else I can upload I'm more than happy to help with.
    I do appreciate everything the developers do and am really looking forward to changing over to MP2 on all my systems (4 Win10 clients).

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @morpheus_xx @henso
    As mentioned I have the same issues. There are not always, but most of the times. It's regardless of x86 or x64 client and for release and debug builds.
    Mostly the loading circle rotates between 40 and 70 seconds in following conditions (confirmed by several users), a few times it works within 5 seconds.
    • Opening the context menu on a media item
    • Opening the settings
    • Opening a media library
    • Pausing and resuming a playback
    Which further information would be interesting to narrow the causes? You are anytime welcome on my PC to debug something, I can reproduce it quite well.

Timhoh1234

Portal Pro
    September 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Seems there is no interest in investigation this. This is really sad, at least a feedback would have been nice from a guy who can judge the issue. A software is only as good as the bottlenecks and have 40-50 second delays with every 3rd click is a bottleneck for usability.

Lichloathe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Has anyone been able to confirm or narrow down the issue? No matter how much I'd like to I am unable to change to MP2 on my HTPC as the wife would go bonkers with the wait times.
    I am happy to supply more info if requested.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @henso did you fix the issue? At least I saw a commit by you, that I could link to the issue here. After pulling the changes I do not have the loading delays any more.

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    @henso did you fix the issue? At least I saw a commit by you, that I could link to the issue here. After pulling the changes I do not have the loading delays any more.
    I don't know what causes the issue as I have not been able to reproduce it. I just tried minimize the number of media lists updates to avoid unnecessary database queries. It breaks plugins with media lists that are not part of our main projects though. If it works for you it's great but maybe we should test a bit more before we can conclude it fixes the issues. I have also thought about removing the forced updates we do when returning to the home screen which would decrease the number of queries even more but that we need to test after I implement it.

Last edited:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I breaks plugins with media lists that are not part of our main projects though.
    Means all plugins as WebRadio etc. are not working with MP2.4? Would it be easy to fix it with the same changes you pushed for in main project included media lists?

I have also thought about removing the forced updates we do when returning to the home screen which would decrease the number of queries even more but that we need to test after I implement it.
    Sure, it might have been also just luck, because the problem occurred not every time, but lately about every 3rd time. When I tried yesterday I had no issues after about 20 actions (incl. opening settings, context menu and navigating to media libraries).
    The forced updates were added by Brownard to make the home content work correctly I think. We need to be careful with changes. Perhaps a separate branch is better for breaking changes.

I'd love to test this change out if you would like some more input.
    Cheers
    I’ll add an test installer. But be warned, that plug-ins will not work. It would be anyway appreciated, if you perform tests. It should be easily possible to revert back to MP2.3.2 after your tests.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Below you find an experimental test version, that might fix or improve the issue with long delays reported in this thread.
    Warning: External plugins like WebRadio, Emulators, ... are not working with this version. After having test reports I'll remove the attachment again.

The version includes following changes compared to MP2.3.2:
    • [MP2-856] Optional settings to show additional details in coverflow view and to hide details in grid view
    • Order shares by name
    • Improved handling of refresh of metadata and changed movie name matching to better take into account titles containing a year
    • Changed updating of content list to only update if necessary. This will break content lists in plugins not part of the solution.
    • Nereus: Allow wrapping for settings HeaderLabel in screens without tiles to not exceed the "black" area
    @Lichloathe @Timhoh1234

Lichloathe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I’m going out in a few but I’ll give it a good test later tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. GMT+8
    Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom