madVR Settings thread (5 Viewers)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thats correct :) But be sure to save your own config before... mine will probably not fill your needs....
OK....so I create profile for my SONY TV....and another for the Yamaha AV amp...
This is where I'm getting confused.....so these are most likely daft questions!!

Does each 'profile' have a separate collection of 'settings'?
Are theses settings arrived at by trial and error...or is there a routine/method to achieve best results?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK....so I create profile for my SONY TV....and another for the Yamaha AV amp...
    This is where I'm getting confused.....so these are most likely daft questions!!
    No you only need to set up different profiles if you want different settings for different circumstances!

Does each 'profile' have a separate collection of 'settings'?

It can do for example, I guess, if you had a 2 TV/monitor setup and decided that the settings for say your Sony TV were not optimal for the LG one which needed a different setup. Also profiles are not specific to hardware, in my own case I have a profile that detects 3D Bluray movies and reduces the strength of some settings from my normal to ensure render times are not too high, that was based on the fact that I noted on my setup that the workload for 3D playback was higher than for 2D.

Are theses settings arrived at by trial and error...or is there a routine/method to achieve best results?
    I would suggest you just set up the display modes to suit your AVR/TV see the attached screenshot as an example then give it a try with everything else left on default. You can then tweak the scaling settings for best results.
    madvrset.jpg

Last edited:

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    ....I would suggest you just set up the display modes to suit your AVR/TV see the attached screenshot as an example then give it a try with everything else left on default. You can then tweak the scaling settings for best results.

OK...so I have a 4K TV....so do I also set entries for 2160? (ie 2160p23, 2160p24....etc)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    OK...so I have a 4K TV....so do I also set entries for 2160? (ie 2160p23, 2160p24....etc)

I assume so, sorry don't have a 4K display yet. In win 10 If you go to settings/system/display/advanced display settings/display adapter properties/monitor then it should list all the display modes that are possible, see attached screenshot for 1080 monitor.
    refr.jpg

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    refr.jpg
    Try this as per screenshot above also you may want to check hide modes box.

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Drop box only opens up frequencies
    upload_2019-1-20_18-48-50.png
    ...and "hide modes...." is grayed-out!
    List all modes....shown in post #135.....a long comprehensive list.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    List all modes....shown in post #135.....a long comprehensive list.

You only need to include the refresh rates for the resolution you wish to use in your case 4K (2160). Madvr will automatically match the refresh rate of media being played and upscale to the 4K resolution if required. see quote below from the Kodi/MPC-HC guide linked in an earlier post.

A list of available refresh rates for the connected display can be found in Windows:
    • Right-click on the desktop and select Display settings;
    • Click on Advanced display settings;
    • Choose Display adapter properties -> Monitor;
    • A list of compatible refresh rates is shown in the drop-down.

Ideally, a GPU and display should be capable of the following refresh rates:

• 23.976 Hz
    • 24 Hz
    • 25 Hz
    • 29.97 Hz
    • 30 Hz
    • 50 Hz
    • 59.94 Hz
    • 60 Hz

madVR recognizes display modes by output resolution and refresh rate. You only need to output to one resolution for all content, which includes 1080p 3D videos, to ensure image upscaling is applied when beneficial.

To cover all of the refresh rates above, eight entries are needed:

4K Display: 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p29, 2160p30, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom