MCE compatible display plugin... (2 Viewers)

JoeDalton

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 27, 2004
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I built a new version that doesn't crash MP 0.2.0.0 RC2 anymore...

You can download the new plugin here
    For those of you who want to mess with the sources (and hopefully fix all bugs and add missing functionality :wink:): you can find them here

Let's hope it actually does something too, because I can't get it to work with my emulator anymore :cry:

Keep me posted...

Joe

[edit] To install, unpack the zip in the MP home folder ( :!: respect the path names :!: ) [/edit]
    [edit2]If you've downloaded this version before Jan, 7th 23:30 (GMT+1), you'll need to do it again. I've fixed some problems[/edit2]

Marky

October 28, 2005
    Thanks

Hi Joe it is working again.
    thanks for it.
    A little description what is displayed and what not.
    when I use the television function it is displaying the program from the tvguide when I close mp it is displaying the time but then it is not running futher. when I run a movie it is doing nothing. When I play music it is displaying the time of the number that is playing.
    thats all.
    I'm going mess with the source and I Ill give you feedback.

many thanks

Markymarc

JoeDalton

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 27, 2004
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Again a new version. This one works totally different internally. I hope it works a bit more stable...

You can download this version here. The old version is still online (only the binaries).
    The new sources can be found here

:arrow: Only Music and Video are reworked. I didn't touch any of the other parts yet. First, I would like you to test it and report if it is better (or worse).
    Please join the IRC channel (#mediaportal on EFNet) or contact me on MSN to discuss any issues you have with it...

Joe

ronald2oo2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 15, 2005
    Netherlands
    Soundgraph iMON with FrontView + RC2

I have light again in the display using FrontView and this plugin (revA).

Not much info however, only basic things like e.g. time, "Live TV", "Music" but not details of songs (with songs everything gives 1st line "Picture", 2nd line (play symbol, regardles of pause/ffw) "> ## Seconds") and regardless of TV station the display only gives "Live TV" + time.

If you want me to check specific things with this combination please let me know.

Cheers,
    Ronald

PS anyway I liked the ExternalDisplay better (when it worked for me with RC1). I think FrontView/MCE has too little features compared with MP. Don't see e.g. trailers or weather in FrontView/MCE so I guess this will never be working! It also does not show the main menu selections (also not with MCE). One advantage of FrontView over the ExternalDisplay plugin is that you can set the number of scrolling itterations. Never could find this in the ExternalDisplay plugin (but maybe I did not look well enough).

JoeDalton

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 27, 2004
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Again a new version. Same link.
    Only music and video should work OK now, maybe you can also get some signs of life in other modules.

I was also able to get my display emulator back to life. This makes testing a bit easier for me...

Joe

APG

Portal Member
    January 13, 2006
    Cape Town, South Africa
    I tested the plugin with my Matrix Orbital LK-202-25 display (20x2 lines, COM version) and get similar results as what ronald2oo2 reported. Here's a pic of the LCD display during music playback:

2006_01_17_00h20m55s_rs.jpg

Also noticed that when watching a recorded show the time display looks slightly offset a few characters to the right:

2006_01_17_00h19m59s_rs.jpg

Regarding the above pic, should there be a "play" icon there, as with the video screen shown below?

2006_01_17_00h22m03s_rs.jpg

Also, should the lines be centered on the display or not? Apart from these few comments, it's great work. Thanks Joe!

JoeDalton

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 27, 2004
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    As already mentionned the only modules that are "finished" are Music and Video, so problems and inconsistencies in all other modules are normal and to be expected. I'm supprised recorded show does even work.

The problem during music playback is already solved (see my previous post), so I guess you should try the new version...

MCE (an my plugin) only sends the data (artist, trackname, duration, etc...) to your display driver. How and what the display eventually displays is up to it. I don't have any influence on that.

Next on my list is to try and fix TV.

Joe

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm using the plugin with the "Origen AE VFD/IRTrans" display and all works fine for Music, Video, Live TV (displays file name/track, duration etc.). The MCE remote works as great using the IR receiver of the display. The display shows current time and date when the computer is off , on standby or running software that does not support the VFD.

There is just one thing that's bugging me. When in the MediaPortal home menu or in Weather or any other module the display shows the following "Welcome to XP MediaCenter". This is an insult to my MediaPortal system. How to make it show "Welcome to MediaPortal"?

JoeDalton

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 27, 2004
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I guess it's your display driver that sends that information to the display, or worse: the hardware. My plugin certainly isn't... I know that some display drivers have registry keys or files to tell them what to send to the display. If you can't find that string in a text or xml file nor in the registry, another option may be to look in the exe/dlls of the display driver with a tool that is able to change resource strings in executables.

If it is the hardware itself that generates the text I think you can forget about changing it...

Goodluck hunting...

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom