MCE Remote not working after reinstall (1 Viewer)

dazpp

Portal Pro
December 6, 2007
Classic profile with "Use HID keyboard" should notably deactivate the direction control on your remote so it would look like it's not working anymore.
Again, if you go for Classic profile make sure "Use HID keyboard" is deactivated.

And how would I use direction control if they don't work on the remote?
I've said before it doesn't work at all when using classic even if I have chosen HID keyboard or not. I've tried it both. Not working. I'm not usre how many times I need to tell you this. It's at least twice in the thread already

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It did not.
    Okay.

Don't know exactly what mad the double tapping go away. I'm happy it did though
    I don't think we can leave it at this. Finding out what caused double tap to go away may point us to the reason you're having problems with classic profile and EPG-channel-selection-by-number.
    You must have changed something. Please try to remember.

No thats Multiplicity and has nothing to do with Media Portal. It's the bottom one that is the MP Tray
    Okay.
    I know you've said this before, but I just want to double check: this is a clean install of Windows 10, so WMC has never been installed, right?
    ...and media center services (MP Config -> additional 3rd party checks) are not installed or disabled, right?

Although reading it I would think having it ticked would do what I want i.e give the chance of choosing the channel from index/numbers.
    Ticked => pressing 42 selects the 42nd channel in the list.
    Unticked => pressing 42 selects the channel with channel number 42.

The second one is what most people want. If I've misunderstood your preference I apologise, and please feel free to change it back.

I'm not sure what made double tapping go away as I said before.
    As above: in my opinion we need to find out. Anything you can remember about what you changed that might have caused it to go away could be crucial.

Yes I tried that and I've told you that already.
    Yes this is frustrating as you never believe what I say.
    I apologise if it came across that I didn't/don't believe you.
    I do believe you.
    By way of explanation (not intended to be an excuse or beat up in any way shape or form): we've asked repeatedly because sometimes you've changed your settings without letting us know, and sometimes you've also chosen incompatible settings despite warnings in the manual and/or interface.
    For what it's worth, I also found it immensely frustrating - to the point that I was about to throw in the towel - when it seemed you were refusing to supply Watchdog log files, and it came across like you were refusing because you thought you knew what I needed better than me.
    Trying to solve problems remotely is hard for both sides.
    Truce and clean slate?

Ok I know I've missed a few things here and there and I said sorry about that.
    Apology accepted - thanks. :)

You did not specify "option 1" in the watchdog. I checked.
    I thought I did here:
    Beyond that I can't say anything without better log files.
    Please use Watchdog option 1, try the function in the debug session, then attach new log files.

Either way, option 1 logs are generally what we're looking for. Option 3 is provided as a last resort for non-reproducible problems where we can only grab the information that happened to be logged at the time (...and that may include days and days worth of irrelevant cruft, which is just one reason why option 1 is vastly preferred).

Is that the option to report a bug?
    Yes indeed.

If so I have to do that when I'm home and can use the remote.
    Okay, no rush.
    I'm about to go to bed as it's midnight here in New Zealand.

FYI: I have work on and off at random times over the next few days so my replies may be a little more sluggish than they've been up until now.

dazpp

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    I don't think we can leave it at this. Finding out what caused double tap to go away may point us to the reason you're having problems with classic profile and EPG-channel-selection-by-number.
    You must have changed something. Please try to remember.
    There has been so much we've looked at so I can't remember all. You should probobly see it in the config as you have it from before it worked and also now after it works.

Okay.
    I know you've said this before, but I just want to double check: this is a clean install of Windows 10, so WMC has never been installed, right?
    ...and media center services (MP Config -> additional 3rd party checks) are not installed or disabled, right?
    Yes this is a clean install of Win10 Pro x64 English. Nothing other than patches/drivers of the OS has been done before installing MP.
    3rd-party.png

Ticked => pressing 42 selects the 42nd channel in the list.
    Unticked => pressing 42 selects the channel with channel number 42.

The second one is what most people want. If I've misunderstood your preference I apologise, and please feel free to change it back.[/QUOTE]

I want it to go to the 42'nd channel in my current list. No the index in the db.
    So from that it seems I should have it ticked to work, right?

As above: in my opinion we need to find out. Anything you can remember about what you changed that might have caused it to go away could be crucial.
    Shouldn't that show in a diff of the config files you have from before and after? As I can't remember all we've done and also it has been a weekend and I truely have other things in mind to (quite alot actually)

I apologise if it came across that I didn't/don't believe you.
    I do believe you.

It hasn't really shown as the same question pops up all the time and I answer it again and again and so on.. Gets frustrated.. So instead of answering with text I will continue to answer with a screenshot instead. No way to not understand then.And it's alot clearer what we mean.

By way of explanation (not intended to be an excuse or beat up in any way shape or form): we've asked repeatedly because sometimes you've changed your settings without letting us know, and sometimes you've also chosen incompatible settings despite warnings in the manual and/or interface.
    For what it's worth, I also found it immensely frustrating - to the point that I was about to throw in the towel - when it seemed you were refusing to supply Watchdog log files, and it came across like you were refusing because you thought you knew what I needed better than me.
    Trying to solve problems remotely is hard for both sides.
    Truce and clean slate?

I just want it to work as it has been since I started using MP back in 1.1 or even earlier (can't really remember first install I did.

Apology accepted - thanks. :)

I thought I did here:

Either way, option 1 logs are generally what we're looking for. Option 3 is provided as a last resort for non-reproducible problems where we can only grab the information that happened to be logged at the time (...and that may include days and days worth of irrelevant cruft, which is just one reason why option 1 is vastly preferred).

Yes indeed.

Okay, no rush.
    I did not see that either of the 2 times I read it.
    If i Chose choice 1 it starts MP and I presume it wants me to do stuff there to log it? I can't do that when I'm not home so I'd rather have someone use team viewer while I'm home so we can look at it together. I even bet that much of our frustration could have been avoided and this would have been fixed a long time ago.
    I'm GMT+1 so calculate when it works for you (probably during my weekends as then I can be awake any time of the day/night to get this working.

I'm about to go to bed as it's midnight here in New Zealand.

FYI: I have work on and off at random times over the next few days so my replies may be a little more sluggish than they've been up until now.

There must be others that could help when you can't, right?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    There has been so much we've looked at so I can't remember all. You should probobly see it in the config as you have it from before it worked and also now after it works.
    Yes, I have config from Friday evening and this evening.
    The most likely diff I saw was the media keys input handler, which is why I previously asked you to try again now that it's disabled. However you explained it couldn't possibly be that. Thing is that external factors (ie. things outside MediaPortal settings) are often responsible for such changes, and the config diff won't show me that. I'll try to find time to do another diff tomorrow, but please do still try to jog your memory too about changes you may have made outside MP.

Yes this is a clean install of Win10 Pro x64 English. Nothing other than patches/drivers of the OS has been done before installing MP.
    Okay. (y)

I want it to go to the 42'nd channel in my current list. No the index in the db.
    So from that it seems I should have it ticked to work, right?
    I'm not clear on what you mean (because the channel ordering is an index which is stored in the DB) so I can't give a yes or no.
    Either way, I think you should see the numbers being entered in the user interface.

Shouldn't that show in a diff of the config files you have from before and after?
    As above: yes and no.

It hasn't really shown as the same question pops up all the time and I answer it again and again and so on..
    I'm sorry again.
    There are other people replying here, and everybody's replies have definitely been crossing on the wires at times for the last few hours.

So instead of answering with text I will continue to answer with a screenshot instead. No way to not understand then.And it's alot clearer what we mean.
    Screenshots are good. (y)

I just want it to work
    Me too! So much.

If i Chose choice 1 it starts MP and I presume it wants me to do stuff there to log it?
    Correct.

I can't do that when I'm not home so I'd rather have someone use team viewer...
    Unfortunately I don't think I can be that somebody. Sorry. In addition to the timezone issue I previously mentioned, during the week I'm almost constantly popping in and out, and on the weekends often work 12 hour days.
    In principle though, I agree that TeamViewer could be more efficient. Maybe @Stéphane Lenclud could take a look. He's in Europe so much closer timezone at least...

There must be others that could help when you can't, right?
    Sure... but once a thread gets to 8 pages, a lot of people won't jump in because it takes too long to absorb the previous info.
    @Stéphane Lenclud who has been chiming in for the last few hours has been the main guy working on input handling for the last year or two. He's really in the best position to help you.

Anyway, off to bed now. I'll be around. :)

dazpp

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Yes, I have config from Friday evening and this evening.
    The most likely diff I saw was the media keys input handler, which is why I previously asked you to try again now that it's disabled. However you explained it couldn't possibly be that. Thing is that external factors (ie. things outside MediaPortal settings) are often responsible for such changes, and the config diff won't show me that. I'll try to find time to do another diff tomorrow, but please do still try to jog your memory too about changes you may have made outside MP.

It might have been the external plugins that I disabled but can't be sure. So don't take my word for it.

I'm not clear on what you mean (because the channel ordering is an index which is stored in the DB) so I can't give a yes or no.
    Either way, I think you should see the numbers being entered in the user interface.

In the EPG list in MP channel 1 is in first position so if I pus h1 it should jump to the first channel in my EPG list.
    if I press 44 it should jump to channel 44 in my EPG list. So not based on db-index or network-channel-index. It's the Channel list I creat myself.

if I have 10 channels in a list I chould press 1-10 and jump between them in the EPG list.
    I hope that explains what I want.

There are other people replying here, and everybody's replies have definitely been crossing on the wires at times for the last few hours.

You get tired of answering the same questions, thats why you have documentation and wiki and so on. I can't do that and it's really frustrating having to explain myself over and over again on the same things I just a few posts above just did..
    I've worked many years in a support organisation and the first thing you learn is to look through the initial case and also what others has put into it before trying to fix somethign or argue for something. That keeps everyone calm and gives a more professional treatment.

Screenshots are good. (y)
    I will keep them coming when necessary.

Unfortunately I don't think I can be that somebody. Sorry. In addition to the timezone issue I previously mentioned, during the week I'm almost constantly popping in and out, and on the weekends often work 12 hour days.
    In principle though, I agree that TeamViewer could be more efficient. Maybe @Stéphane Lenclud could take a look. He's in Europe so much closer timezone at least...

I work 8-17 CET weekdays. I'm mostly back home again after 18-19 CET. During weekends I have time to be available any time of the day (day and night)

Sure... but once a thread gets to 8 pages, a lot of people won't jump in because it takes too long to absorb the previous info.
    It actually doesn't take too long to skim through them thread and see whats answered and not. I do that all the time when trying to find a solution

@Stéphane Lenclud who has been chiming in for the last few hours has been the main guy working on input handling for the last year or two. He's really in the best position to help you.

He's more than welcome to have a go at it through teamviewer tonight or any other night I'm available. Just give me a heads up during the day and I'll set it up. I'm not hard to work with.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    These are logs from when I'm pushing numbers in the EPG listing and nothing happens.
    What should be happening when you push number there? Are you talking about mini EPG or fully screen EPG?
    I'd say that's a known issue with HID Keyboard and Full profile.

If you want that feature to work as before you ought to try and get classic profile without HID keyboard to work.

dazpp

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    What should be happening when you push number there? Are you talking about mini EPG or fully screen EPG?
    I'd say that's a known issue with HID Keyboard and Full profile.

If you want that feature to work as before you ought to try and get classic profile without HID keyboard to work.

mini EPG/full screen EPG?
    IMG_20170403_184552.jpg
    That's the EPG I'm talking about.

I hope you take this the right way but I've said numerous times in this thread that if I choose classic the remote stops working at all. Not even a keyboard works at all when it's in classic mode. That's not a working solution and has already been shown

I've also said that this was working in the versions before 1.16 pre release without doing any special configs at all.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    mini EPG/full screen EPG?
    View attachment 188770
    That's the EPG I'm talking about.

I hope you take this the right way but I've said numerous times in this thread that if I choose classic the remote stops working at all. Not even a keyboard works at all when it's in classic mode. That's not a working solution and has already been shown

I've also said that this was working in the versions before 1.16 pre release without doing any special configs at all.
    Just choose classic and untick the Use HID Keyboard check box below. Try it and provide some logs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

dazpp

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2007
    Just choose classic and untick the Use HID Keyboard check box below. Try it and provide some logs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It seems to work now..
    BUT I tried this many times before and provided logs when it didn't work.

Why is there no warning that HID keyboard can't be active when using classic mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom