Media Portal wake schedule (2 Viewers)

Digitalization

Portal Member
August 3, 2019
Home Country
Australia Australia
Apparently, Windows 10 introduced a new setting for wake timers called "Allow Important Wake Timers Only", which allows wake timers from the OS, but disallows wake timers from applications.

I had already seen this when first looking into the wake timers. Unfortunately this is not the issue. The wake timers is set to "enable" and not
allow important wake timers only."

I'm a bit confused is it now not going to sleep automatically on idle and still not waking for a recording??? i.e. to test for the wake up you manually put it to sleep?

With PowerScheduler set as control it was going to sleep but not waking up to record.
With Windows set as control in PowerScheduler it was going to sleep in expert mode but not plug and play.
It has never woken to record.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Unfortunately this is not the issue. The wake timers is set to "enable" and not allow important wake timers only."
    Disappointing :(. Unfortunately, nothing else occurs to me that might be causing this problem. :(

If you previously had MP working correctly on Windows 7, I think that I would suggest re-installing Windows 7, if your Windows 7 licence still allows this. (If you perform a free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, you have only 30 days to revert to Windows 7; after this your licence becomes a Windows 10 licence, and it can no longer be used for Windows 7.)

Many people seem concerned that Microsoft support for Windows 7 terminates around the end of 2019. This may be a valid concern if you use your system as a general-purpose system for internet access, web browsing, email, and so on. But if your system is primarily an HTPC, I would not be concerned. My HTPC is Windows 7, and I intend continuing to use Windows 7 for the indefinite future. (Aside: I am posting this from a laptop that is still running Windows XP :eek:)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Disappointing :(. Unfortunately, nothing else occurs to me that might be causing this problem. :(
    Much the same here I'm afraid!:(
    My last remaining suggestion is to try, if you have not already done so, the exact same (Expert Mode) settings I suggested in a post on page one, which work for me.
    Note in the "General tab HTPC rather than Desktop then in Advanced tab temporarily enable the "Apply recommended windows power settings..." and click on Apply then disable it again and click on "Configure Manually" and set everything as per my screenshot.
    I don't hold out too much hope but worth I think further testing before going back to Win 7:eek:;).

Digitalization

Portal Member
    August 3, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    If you previously had MP working correctly on Windows 7, I think that I would suggest re-installing Windows 7, if your Windows 7 licence still allows this. (If you perform a free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, you have only 30 days to revert to Windows 7; after this your licence becomes a Windows 10 licence, and it can no longer be used for Windows 7.)

Thanks for your help investigating this. Last night I did revert to Windows 7 and then upgraded to Win 10 instead of the straight install. Will see if this makes a difference otherwise it will be back to Win 7.

Digitalization

Portal Member
    August 3, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    don't hold out too much hope but worth I think further testing before going back to Win 7:eek:;).

Persisted enough back to Windows 7 Ultimate..... but have issues that I have to ask for help with.

Previous to the disk crash, Win7 and MP1.18 worked perfectly most times with hibernation.

Now, I cannot get Win7 to install MP1.22. Tried a few work arounds with .Netframework 4 and above, but nothing worked. Back to MP1.21.

BUT... the MP TV server which sees my 3 DVB-T tuner cards will not add any channels or finds nothing during a scan. Nothing. Note a restore to Win10 from an image shows the tuner cards working fine. Back to Win7 and it finds no broadcasts at all on any frequency.

Hopefully someone can help, with the log from the Win7 install here.

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_18_08_19__16_43.zip
      185.8 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Back to Win7 and it finds no broadcasts at all on any frequency.
    Your TV Service logs show that there is an error with "StreamingServer.dll". Either it is missing, or corrupted, or incorrectly configured (is that even possible?). It should reside in:

C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\

Apart from that, the logs are a mystery to me. Perhaps a TV expert is needed. @Owlsroost ?

Digitalization

Portal Member
    August 3, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks @CyberSimian

The file is there. I even copied it from the Win10 install of MP1.22 but still nothing. Will start a new post in the TV section. Hopefully get some answers there. Appreciate your help.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The file is there.
    This is very frustrating. :mad: :cry: The difficulty is in spotting what might be different about your setup. :confused:

In October last year, I did a completely fresh install of Windows 7 Home, with all of the updates issued to that point. I have not installed any updates since then, so there might have been an intervening rogue Windows 7 update that you have on your system but which I don't have on mine.

I am using Win 7 Home and I note that you are using Win 7 Ultimate, but it seems unlikely that that difference would be the source of the problem.

I am not using any anti-virus or anti-malware, other than the default that is installed as part of Windows 7.

I have very few applications installed other than MP (these apps are mostly tools, such as "Open Hardware Monitor", "Open Object Rexx", and "Recuva").

After installing Win 7, I did a fresh install of MP 1.18. Since then I have done update installs of 1.19, 1.20, 1.21, and 1.22. I am currently running MP 1.22 with some fixes from MP 1.23.

When installing MP, I download the exe, and then run the exe explicitly from a command line. But I always make sure that the internet is accessed when I do this, just in case MP wants to download and install any software which it needs but which is not currently installed.

I am running a "single seat" system, i.e. the client and the server are on the same system. I am not trying to stream video or audio around my home network.

I use fixed network addresses for all of the systems on my home network.

I have not changed the default setup that MP uses to communicate with TV Server.

I have listed above what I think might be relevant, just in case you can spot something that is different about your setup. When complex setups don't work, I usually try to simplify until I get something to work, even if it is not exactly what I want. Once something is working, one can proceed step by step to find the place where the problem arises.

Digitalization

Portal Member
    August 3, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    @CyberSimian thank you for your informative response.

I can confirm following my last post I did revisit Windows 7 install and installed MP1.21 (22 won't install) with a change in the SQL database option. Instead of using the default MySQL. I believe this is where the tv channel data is stored ?!?

It has been running 24 hours now with hibernates and wakes working as expected.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just as a postscript to this thread I have tried using hibernate instead of sleep on my Win 10 x64 HTPC. The trick to get it working, for me, was to disable ErP in the bios. So I can confirm that hibernate does work with MP 1.23pre and Win 10 x64(1903) including waking up to make a scheduled recording. I have not timed it but would say the time to resume is only marginally, if at all, longer than from sleep on my set up and with the exception of killing a recording in progress, as outlined in an earlier post by @CyberSimian it functions the same.
    Not sure why it did not work for @Digitalization but I'm pretty sure it is not Win 10.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom