[News] MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 - delayed (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybeme

Portal Member
December 2, 2007
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Could a dev explain why it wouldn't be possible to upgrade from the RC (that hasn't been released yet) to the final version?
again: click the "no" in post #34 and you will find infinityloop's explanation.

Of course I did ;-) I just think it's not a good explanation for the case 'upgrading from RC to final'. It ís for the case 'upgrading an SVN version'

usualsuspect

Portal Pro
May 12, 2009
Home Country
Germany Germany
Of course I did ;-) I just think it's not a good explanation for the case 'upgrading from RC to final'. It ís for the case 'upgrading an SVN version'
please read again:
Sadly not.
Everyone who is testing the 1.1.0 Alpha, RC-release(s) and/or svn builds has to be aware that an direct update to 1.1.0 final is not possible.

Because of the amount and scale of changes in 1.1.0, a clean installation is mandatory, or you _will_ have problems because of old files.
We did see that in our internal testing.

:sorry:

maybeme

Portal Member
December 2, 2007
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I really read that, but I ask a dev to explain it a bit more WHY infinityloop stated that, because it doesn't make sense. (at least for the RC->final upgrade)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    please read again:
    Sadly not.
    Everyone who is testing the 1.1.0 Alpha, RC-release(s) and/or svn builds has to be aware that an direct update to 1.1.0 final is not possible.

Because of the amount and scale of changes in 1.1.0, a clean installation is mandatory, or you _will_ have problems because of old files.
    We did see that in our internal testing.

:sorry:

First of all I wil be doing a fresh install anyway so I don't really care, but I still think Maybeme has a point. The major changes are from 1.0.2 to 1.1.0 RC, so I can understand not being able to update from 1.0.2, but the changes from 1.1.0 RC to 1.1.0 Final does not seem to be that big.

I do however see that they don't want to support this because it's probably alot more work, and could cause other issues.

maybeme

Portal Member
    December 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Because of the many things fixed between beta 1 and the current SVN, wouldn't it make sense to bring out another beta, instead of trying to get a decent RC1 already? I think it isn't realistic to have no bugs in RC1 with such a small testbase (Well, I think the SVN-users are a small group, and think the beta is used a lot more, but I could be wrong)

Please don't see this as critisism, I just wondered and trying to learn how big projects are best managed.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Because of the many things fixed between beta 1 and the current SVN, wouldn't it make sense to bring out another beta, instead of trying to get a decent RC1 already?
    Depending on the current time schedule for the RC1 I would support Maybeme's suggestion. Especially due to the fact that 1.1 Beta showed nice new features compared to 1.0.2, however, I had to reinstall 1.0.2 because of the scheduled recording issue, which "cost" me some nice TV shows - and some discussion with the family!

So, putting a new 1.1 Beta with all closed issues together would just be great.

Regards, HTPC_Sourcer

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Because of the many things fixed between beta 1 and the current SVN, wouldn't it make sense to bring out another beta, instead of trying to get a decent RC1 already?
    however, I had to reinstall 1.0.2 because of the scheduled recording issue

Erm... which issue?

So, putting a new 1.1 Beta with all closed issues together would just be great.
    If we reasolve all tasks on the roadmap, then why release a new beta?
    At that point in softwaredevelopment its time for the RC phase (with maybe multiple releases). ;)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    however, I had to reinstall 1.0.2 because of the scheduled recording issue
    Erm... which issue?

The system was waking up for scheduled recordings but actually did not record anything. Some other people had reported similar issues. In any case I decided to wait for the RC candidate.

Regards, HTPC_Sourcer

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I think it isn't realistic to have no bugs in RC1
    I fear that you do not understand the purpose of an RC. (no offence :) )

The term release candidate (RC) refers to a version with potential to be a final product, ready to release unless fatal bugs emerge. In this stage of product stabilization (read QA cycle), all product features have been designed, coded and tested through one or more Beta cycles with no known showstopper-class bug.

There is no application in the world where its RC is release without known bugs. Not even stable versions are released without known issues. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom