[News] MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 Release plan (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi,

The 'stretch', 'non-linear stretch', 'letterbox' and 'original' are already there. You just have to check the boxes in config to enable them (they are enabled by default).

Or do you just want 'zoom 1', 'zoom 2' and 'zoom 3' to provide additional zoom levels for the picture? If so, I have to admit that I can see no point to having this for watching TV/video. If you zoom in like this, you will miss much of the picture. I can't imagine many people wanting to do this.

Mark

This feature is available in almost every other players (MPC, KMP, XMBC) so I guess many people wants this. I think also this is not very hard to implement.
    First time additional zoom-levels are requested.
    usually these are not wanted, since they crop a big part of the picture. ;)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    What ivanninaj is suggesting is something close to pan-and-scan, which in my world, is close to the biggest sin (after stealing candy from blind old ladies). ;)

tdw197

Portal Member
    April 13, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm always looking forward to read such news and as this one appeared I hoped that the major bugs for me were fixed. So I immediately checked the mantis but instead of that I realized that these "killers" have been postponed - so honestly, is it really "processing better then expected"?

I already used to see that "Flickering Tv guide" bug is being postponed from one release to another. But the bug 0002060 "Audio and video aren't always in synch when refresh rate is set to 24 hz" is reported by many users and even of this it is still in mantis as "new" and now postponed to some next release.

But to be fair and beside this, you really do a great job. Just to mention the fixed killer bug "grey blacks with EVR" recently and the subtitle engine from MPC-HC, so thanks for this!!

Anyway thanks for all your work and I hope that we will see the bugs fixed soon.

The latest ATI drivers (9.7) seem to have fixed my flickering tv guide in MP1.02 :D

Only installed 'em on sat, but haven't seen a flicker in tv guide since (either before viewing tv, or whilst tv is runnining minimised).

Try it, it seems good!

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    It would be good if there was a user adjustable combined step wise stretch, non linear stretch, crop/zoom mode

Say for instance you have a 16x9 display (= 1.778x1) and you have the follow steps defined
    Step 1. Maximun non linear stretch % = 5%
    Step 2. Maximun zoom/crop % = 5%

Example widescreen 2.39x1 video is displayed.
    Step 1 -> Vertical element is non linear stretched by 5% = 2.39x1.05 = 2.28x1
    Step 2 -> Horizontal element is croped by 5% = 2.16 x 1 = 16x7.4,
    Basically this means the video is slightly stretched and slightly cropped with much smaller horizontal black bars than if the original 'normal' mode was used.
    With the current stretch or non linear stretch this makes the video look too stretched.

Example widescreen 1.85x1 video is displayed
    Step 1 -> Vertical element is non linear stretched by 5% = 1.85x1.05 = 1.76x1 = approx 16x9

Example old style 4x3 video is displayed
    Step 1 -> Horizontal element is non linear stretched by 5% = 4.2x3
    Step 2 -> Vertical element is cropped by max 5% = 4.2x2.85 = 4.42x3 = 13.26x9, so basically you get some vertical black bars. I find with non linear stretch in this situation its over stretched

The crop/zoom should also have a condition ie don't crop if resolution<400, because if you have very low res video then every pixel counts, so you don't want to do any cropping or zooming.

This mode would have the advantages of some smart non linear stretched, but be limited so it doesn't get too carried away. If you were making this even more advanced for cropping you could specify to crop more from bottom than the top. You could also do a Step 0, remove any letterboxing, but that would be cpu intensive. also you could add a step 3, a bit more stretching if the pic still wasn't wide/tall enough after the crop/zoom step.

I hope you understand how much more powerful this would be and also how much it would result in less picture distortion, it's hard to explain via typing.

manray

Portal Pro
    December 5, 2008
    Hi Guys

What about a nice search in "My Videos" list?
    I think that "My Videos" and "My Music" should have a nice search to easily find movies and music.
    What do you think guys?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Please keep the improvement proposals out of this thread. There is a correct sub forum available. And what comes to 1.1.0 features, there won't be any new features... upcoming features have already been "fozen".

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    How's the progress comming along? Will you make the scedule, or are we looking at a delay?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    How's the process comming along? Will you make the scedule, or are we looking at a delay?
    When looking at the list of open tasks in ::mantis::, then it would have been plain stupid if we would have rushed 1.1.0 into the Release Candidate cylce.
    Because this would have meant that nomore big changes are allowed.

This is why we will not release an Release Candiate of 1.1.0 yet.

Instead we decided to release a BETA 1 sometime next week to provide you guys with a new testbase, and to give us (and the community developers ;) ) more time to resolve the open tasks (see ::mantis::)

Installation will be the same as it was with the Alpha release:
    • You can not upgrade from previous MP installations
    • You can not reuse old userfiles from previous MP installations (might work, but not recommended)
    • You can not use old community skins (might work, but not recommended)
    • You can not use old community plugins (might work, but not recommended)
    • You can re-use an existing TV-Server Database

List of changes can be reviewed in the ::changelogs:: (switch through projects in the top right)

The BETA 1 Release is meant for testing, do not expect it to be free of bugs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom