MediaPortal 1.13 and Windows 10 Crash (1 Viewer)

Adam86

Portal Pro
April 19, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
How would you actually go about building/merging DJBlu's code into the latest 1.15 release?
Sorry, I have no idea... because I have no idea where his latest code is.

Ears told me once that he merges from DJBlus github into the Mp github, I don't think he makes any changes to the code though. The link I know of is: https://github.com/djblu/Custom-Data-Grabber/tree/master/Custom Data Grabber

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That can't be the full thing. It hasn't got any Freesat or Sky code.

Adam86

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2012
    Home Country
    That can't be the full thing. It hasn't got any Freesat or Sky code.
    Sorry we drifted off topic here but I cannot PM you privately.

I don't think there is any code available but when I've spoken to ears in the past, as he used to compile us new builds from your github and the above github we could at least update our MediaPortal versions.

I would love to try and merge the two together but not sure how?

Ears previously told me this in a PM:
    You get DJBlu's original updated version, through git, then merge that into the release you want to update. I've then got some code that does the db checks and works out whether you need to add the grabber columns, does it if it needs to. That needs pasting in and calling at the right point. Then you need to make sure the custom SQL - for MS SQL and MySQL - is present.

If you want then to just have the 2 separate installers you're just about done. You need Visual Studio obviously and it takes a while to configure it for MP. I've got a separate VM running for it as it took ages to get configured and I don't want to mess it up when I'm doing other stuff for work. If you compile at this point you'll still need to do the manual DLL copies and setup etc.

So I modify the main installer too - I update the valid versions to include all my custom versions so that the installer doesn't kick it out saying you can't upgrade a non-standard version. Then copy the DLLs to the right place and update the install script to include them.

Cheers!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...but I cannot PM you privately.
    I prefer not to be PM'd.
    Is there something private about this topic that necessitates a private discussion?

I don't think there is any code available...
    Sorry but the information you've provided here is pretty much incoherent to me (...and probably would be to anybody other than ears and DJBlu themselves).

For a start, please keep in mind that I've never used DJBlu's customised version of MediaPortal. Therefore I'm already at a significant disadvantage.

I don't know what the "original updated version" is, or where I could get it from.
    I don't have the "db checks" code. Even if I did, I don't know where it needs to be pasted or where the "right point" is for calling it.
    I don't know anything about the custom SQL, or how to check whether it's present.
    I don't know which DLLs need to be manually copied, where I'd get them from, or where they have to be copied to.
    I don't know what is entailed in "setup etc.".
    I don't know what the custom versions are.

Unless you have access to more specific information, I don't think I can help.

Adam86

Portal Pro
    April 19, 2012
    Home Country
    I prefer not to be PM'd.
    Is there something private about this topic that necessitates a private discussion?

No, but this post has drifted off topic from the original Windows 10 crash I was discussing - merely because us Freesat users who want basic functionality such as channel numbering cannot get that with the standard MP1 builds and I don't think MP2 has any of these features either. Unfortunately, it seems any other product out there has the same limits too when it comes to running a Windows based HTPC.

I think most people would be happy with just getting that functionality from DJBlu's Custom Data Grabber. Having groups created automatically is nice but not as desirable as having channel numbers assigned.

Unless you have access to more specific information, I don't think I can help.
    Sorry I don't have access to any further information either, I just didn't know if these db checks and other various code was available to anybody who builds MediaPortal. Looks like we will just have to stick on MP 1.13 for the foreseeable :-(

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Such a shame that this cannot be created and developed. I would be happy to contribute to its development as I am sure most people would.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay, so then please don't attempt to PM me.

but this post has drifted off topic
    If that bothers you:
    • update the title of the thread to match the content OR
    • start a new thread (and optionally tag me if you'd like my attention, and I'll decide whether I feel able to reply) OR
    • ask me to move posts to a new thread
    us Freesat users who want basic functionality such as channel numbering cannot get that with the standard MP1 builds and I don't think MP2 has any of these features either.
    I've already added support for many of the features including Freesat channel numbering and grouping in TVE 3.5.

Looks like we will just have to stick on MP 1.13 for the foreseeable
    Just because I can't build it doesn't mean other people won't be able to.
    Have you tried asking ears for more specific information?

Such a shame that this cannot be created and developed.
    Nobody has said that. I've simply said that with the information currently available, I'm not able to understand the instructions Adam86 has found.

I would be happy to contribute to its development as I am sure most people would.
    Great, so maybe you could try contacting ears and/or building the code yourself?

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Ive tried contacting DJBlue via twitter but no response as of yet as I am sure others have done also. Building the code is really beyond my skills. Is there a particular reason that it cant be developed for MP2 from scratch if need be? Appreciate that this is probably a large task.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @richardc1983
    Please try to read my replies more carefully.

Ive tried contacting DJBlue via twitter but no response as of yet as I am sure others have done also.
    Notice I said try contacting ears not DJBlu.

Building the code is really beyond my skills.
    Have you actually tried, or do you just think that?
    If you tried, at what point did you get stuck?
    ...and when you got stuck, did you ask for help?

Is there a particular reason that it cant be developed for MP2 from scratch if need be? Appreciate that this is probably a large task.
    As I said in my previous reply, I have developed it from scratch for TVE 3.5. Yes it was a very large task - months of work. TVE 3.5 will be usable with both MP1 and MP2, and any other front end that wants to use it.

richardc1983

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    I believe others have tried to contact him.

I havent tried I am not a programmer or developer I dont even play games on a computer or have the knowledge of anything like that. I am just a media portal end user. No computer skills at all other than general work stuff like MS office. Code etc is a diff language to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom