[News] MediaPortal 1.6.0 Pre-Release ready for download! (1 Viewer)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Because it will be lost in this curreny thread :)
    Also i didn't have issue here :)

B

BassFan

Habe bitte Verständnis dafür das wir bzw.. die Developer ohne Logs nicht sehen können was bei dir auf deinem HTPC abgeht.
    -------------
    I please understand that we or. the developer without logs don't see to what's going on with you on your HTPC.

gruss

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sascha, quite honestly your attitude starts to make me angry. Your sarcasm is not doing you any favours.

Otherwise nothing will be done? Ah ok.. .there is a big bug in 1.6 and you will release 1.6 without fixing it so that everyone can't use MediaPortal anymore. That makes really sense!
    Check the bug reports:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/1-6-0-pre-release.669/

Do you see anybody else reporting the same problem? If not, what proof do you have to say there is a bug? Once again do you assume that just because you have a problem, everybody else must have the same problem?

I posted logs so your developers have everything they need.
    ...and you completely ignored every other bug report guideline. Read the release news:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/mediaportal-1-6-0-pre-release-ready

Bugs
    If you think you found a bug then please post a detailed report in our Bug Reports Forum.

Again, I emphasize the "...in our bug reports forum" part. I should have just deleted your post.

One of you made a mistake and has to fix the bug.
    Again, where is your proof. Did you even bother to read my post which took more than one hour of log analysis, or did I completely waste my time! :(

I posted the bug and logs and now it's up to you to fix it.
    No, that is not how it works. How it works is:
    1. You report the problem in a bug report thread as requested in the release news.
    2. The developers check the logs, the testers and other community members try to reproduce the problem.
    3. IF the problem can be reproduced then we try to fix it.

You failed to follow the first instruction. Regardless, I still checked your log files. You ignored my response. Nobody else reported a similar problem. Now you have the nerve to moan? Give me a break!

So for what is this thread?
    For letting people know that we have released an update. Some people choose to respond by saying "thank you".

Why everyone else is allowed to post bugs?
    I ignore any bug reports posted in this thread, just like I was going to do to your report.

You have everything you need, so it makes no sense that I have to post my post twice.
    You wouldn't have to post logs twice if you'd followed our guidelines first time. You only have yourself to blame.

mm

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I will post a bug report in a few hours...

BUT: There is one thing I don't like and that's really not ok: You always say that you only fix bugs you are able to reproduce. This is not how developers work. Because then there were no software on this planet which would work ;-) Of course it is the best for a developer if he is able to reproduce a bug, but this is not the normal case.

So if a user has a reproducable bug, you have to look at the code and try to find the reason. OR: in this case you made changes in 1.6, so you have to look at the changes, because with 1.5 everything was fine, and with 1.6 it's reproducable. Also a developer should not always ask for logs, log, logs, logs. Because in your logs you can't the see bug most of the time. Find out which function is causing the issue and then add detailed log output to it and send the user the new file. Thats the way how you could fix bugs you are not able to reprocue but which are reproducable by the user. This is also what I asked since months for the artifact/freezer issue while TV playback.

And again, please don't tell my that it is an issue of my system. I'm a professional developer since over 15 years. I'm a very good developer and I studied computer science on an university. So my PC is fine. With 1.5 it works, with 1.6 it doesn't work. Reproducable. I have a default configuration which at least the most users have. Nothing special.

I really like MediaPortal and I really like to help, but please take this help instead of doing nothing. I told so many times how you could find the issue to fix the issue. But nothing happened. Always trying to change something, send me new file and ask for logs which don't have any new output regarding the issue, doesn't help. Belive me ;-)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    And again, please don't tell my that it is an issue of my system. I'm a professional developer since over 15 years. I'm a very good developer and I studied computer science on an university. So my PC is fine. With 1.5 it works, with 1.6 it doesn't work. Reproducable. I have a default configuration which at least the most users have. Nothing special.

With the greatest of respect, if you are that good, fix it yourself.

The bottom line here is that the team are doing their level best to fix everything they can. But there are only a few active developers, and not everyone has expertise in all areas of the code. If a team member is unable to reproduce a bug on their system, it will be difficult to fix.

Then there is the simple fact that on so many occasions, despite the protests of users, something that doesn't work doesn't necessarily mean it is a bug. I can't comment in this case because I haven't been following the discussion. But @mm1352000 has, and has taken the time to analyse your logs. If he says this is not a bug, then I would trust his judgement.

Finally, you do realise that we all do this in our limited spare time and we do not get paid? So, while we appreciate your bug reports and we will try to fix whatever we can, NOBODY has the right to demand that their problem be fixed. The developers are very highly skilled and professional, but they have full time jobs, families, and other commitments.

Please tone down your posts, and post a full bug report in the appropriate section, and if others have the same problems, then at some point if we do determine there is a bug, we will aim to get it fixed. Otherwise, if you simply keep criticising, the probability is that you will get ignored. Sorry, but that's life.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I will post a bug report in a few hours...
    Thanks.

BUT: There is one thing I don't like and that's really not ok: You always say that you only fix bugs you are able to reproduce. This is not how developers work. Because then there were no software on this planet which would work ;-) Of course it is the best for a developer if he is able to reproduce a bug, but this is not the normal case.
    My point was that you failed to follow our bug report guidelines. If you want to argue semantics then be my guest... but know that I will be ignoring your posts. You're in no position to be telling the team how their processes should work.

So if a user has a reproducable bug, you have to look at the code and try to find the reason. OR: in this case you made changes in 1.6, so you have to look at the changes, because with 1.5 everything was fine, and with 1.6 it's reproducable.
    This is a hobby, not a job. I don't have to do anything.
    Even if I wanted to, I don't have the luxury of time to look at every "reproducible" bug. Instead I choose to investigate some problems where:
    1. Full information and logs are provided.
    2. The person is friendly and respectful.
    3. The report is credible.
    4. The report relates to code that I am familiar with.
    5. I feel like helping.

You in particular often don't provide full information, are rude and disrespectful to team and community members, and ignore good advice and requests. Your reports are often not credible - nobody else reports the same problems. This makes me very reluctant to respond to any of your posts because it is usually a complete waste of my time.

Also a developer should not always ask for logs, log, logs, logs. Because in your logs you can't the see bug most of the time. Find out which function is causing the issue and then add detailed log output to it and send the user the new file. Thats the way how you could fix bugs you are not able to reprocue but which are reproducable by the user. This is also what I asked since months for the artifact/freezer issue while TV playback.
    I challenge you to try fixing a difficult MediaPortal problem without access to logs. When you can do that I might take this comment seriously. Until then, please stop telling me how to solve problems. Thanks.

Your 15 years of experience will get you nowhere with me if you can't be polite.
    Again, don't you find it strange that nobody else reports the same problems?

I really like MediaPortal and I really like to help, but please take this help instead of doing nothing. I told so many times how you could find the issue to fix the issue. But nothing happened. Always trying to change something, send me new file and ask for logs which don't have any new output regarding the issue, doesn't help. Belive me ;-)
    Sascha, if you really want to help then please adjust your attitude and follow our guidelines. The message I took from your post was:

mm, you are a useless developer. You don't know how to investigate bugs. You should do things the way I tell you to do it because I'm a better developer than you. After all, I have 15 years experience and I studied computer science. I could fix my own problems if I really tried. However, it is your job to fix problems, so stop complaining and get on with it!

How do you think that makes me feel?

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please remind that English is not my native language, so a lot of things are not meant as they seem. Of course I know that this is just a hobby, but every developer (also hobby developers) want to make a good software without bugs. I just gave you tips from my experience. Before I went to MediaPortal and a HTPC I used an Enigma2 set top box and was pissed of because it was also open source and just a hobby project. Those developers always added new features, but rarely fixed bugs. That was the reason why a lot of people were pissed off, because you was never able to use it without any issues. I don't want that this also happens with MediaPortal. So I think every bug should be fixed before implementing new features, because a stable version is more important.

If everything works fine with 1.5, and with 1.6 not, then it IS a issue of MediaPortal. Thats very simple. It worked with all previous versions and then someone changed something with 1.6 and now it is not working. Reproducable. The reason why no one is reporting this til now is very, very simple: It is not a final version. Not everyone has installed it. Also not everyone is using hibernation mode. And then it could also be an issue only with specific hardware, but it still is an issue of MP, because new changes causing this issue ;-)

mylle

Portal Pro
    April 14, 2005
    Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    This is crazy! It really pisses me of seing people behave like this :( Still you always respond in a very controlled way!

MM always goes above and beyond what could be expected.

@mm
    Please don't let stuff like this get to you. There will always be morons out there with bad behavior and no respect, Just know that the 99% of the rest of us really appreciate your and the other team members effort.

/Jacob

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Please remind that English is not my native language, so a lot of things are not meant as they seem. Of course I know that this is just a hobby, but every developer (also hobby developers) want to make a good software without bugs. I just gave you tips from my experience. Before I went to MediaPortal and a HTPC I used an Enigma2 set top box and was pissed of because it was also open source and just a hobby project. Those developers always added new features, but rarely fixed bugs. That was the reason why a lot of people were pissed off, because you was never able to use it without any issues. I don't want that this also happens with MediaPortal. So I think every bug should be fixed before implementing new features, because a stable version is more important.

If everything works fine with 1.5, and with 1.6 not, then it IS a issue of MediaPortal. Thats very simple. It worked with all previous versions and then someone changed something with 1.6 and now it is not working. Reproducable. The reason why no one is reporting this til now is very, very simple: It is not a final version. Not everyone has installed it. Also not everyone is using hibernation mode. And then it could also be an issue only with specific hardware, but it still is an issue of MP, because new changes causing this issue ;-)

I wonder if your issues are related to "fix" https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mp1-4070_bug_resuming_from_standby_not_working.120881/

This fix was supposed to address "black screen after resume" issue which I think you reported somewhere. Also I think this is only resume-related change in 1.6.0 pre-release so it would be nice if you could test that test build, which I guess is based 1.5.0 but has the fix, and report if you have problems.

The reason why I call this "fix" is the fact that no one reported that it does any good.

It should be easy enough for us to provide a build of 1.6.0 Pre Release with this one fix reverted. Could one of the developers please do this and provide a link to it? Then we can get it tested and revert if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread