MediaPortal 1 no longer runs

Discussion in 'General Support' started by tm19, July 10, 2019.

1. tm19
    • Premium Supporter

tm19 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    Had 1.18 installed. I was gone 8 weeks. Maybe a Windows Update took place. Don't know. But now when I double click on the MediaPortal icon, nothing happens. Same for MediaPortal Configuration. I still can run the TV-Server configuration program.

Tried updating to 1.22. Same result.

Sorry for the lack of details. I'll provide more if you'll let me know how (e.g., logs?).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CyberSimian
    • Team MediaPortal

CyberSimian Test Group

Ratings:
    +951 / 3
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    One cause of this is when the previous invocation of MP did not terminate completely (this happens occasionally). There are no MP panels visible, but if you start Windows Task Manager and look at the processes that are running, you will see that MediaPortal.exe is still running. Select it and terminate it. Alternatively, simply reboot.

I have not encountered this before. If what I suggested above is true, when you start "MP Config" it should detect that MP is still running and offer to close it. Since that is not happening, the explanation above may not be correct. :(

To enable logs, you need to start "MP Config" and set the log level to DEBUG. If you cannot start "MP Config", I don't know what you can do. :(

The nuclear solution is to uninstall MP completely, and then re-install it (possibly using a different version). The even more nuclear option is to re-install Windows. Perhaps someone else has an idea what is happening.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

4. doskabouter
    • Premium Supporter

doskabouter Community Plugin Dev

Ratings:
    +1,084 / 1
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    First I would try a reboot, then try to start mediaportal.
    If Mediaportal doesn't show up, and windows doesn't produce any error you could check in your programdata folder (C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log) to see if there are any log files with a datetime that matches your attempt.
    Check those if you see any obvious, if not: post them here

5. tm19
    • Premium Supporter

tm19 MP Donator

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    Thanks everyone for pitching in.

@CyberSimian - yeah, tried rebooting, etc., no joy unfortunately

@doskabouter - Can't run MP Config to set debug mode. I've uploaded the logs, such as they are. Maybe there's a clue buried in there somewhere.

In the meantime I'm trying out Kodi with NextPVR backend, but I'd be happy with a quick fix on the old MP.

Attached Files:

• log.zip
      File size:
      3.7 KB
      Uploaded:
      July 12, 2019
      Views:
  6. doskabouter
    • Premium Supporter

doskabouter Community Plugin Dev

Ratings:
    +1,084 / 1
    Home Country:
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Show System Specs
    I think this is the issue:
    [ERROR !!!] RenameDirectory: Renaming directory failed for some reason.
    and
    [ERROR !!!] Loading MediaPortalDirectories from InstallDir failed. ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortalDirs.xml')

Something is messed up in your folders...
    I would opt for a reinstall of mediaportal, but make sure you remove any remaining leftovers in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal and C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal folders after the uninstall.
    Unless ofcourse you have put lots ot time in configuration/tweaking/etc. In that case we can probably work out something to not loose all your efforts

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!