MediaPortal 1 no longer runs (1 Viewer)

tm19

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2015
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Had 1.18 installed. I was gone 8 weeks. Maybe a Windows Update took place. Don't know. But now when I double click on the MediaPortal icon, nothing happens. Same for MediaPortal Configuration. I still can run the TV-Server configuration program.

Tried updating to 1.22. Same result.

Sorry for the lack of details. I'll provide more if you'll let me know how (e.g., logs?).

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    when I double click on the MediaPortal icon, nothing happens.
    One cause of this is when the previous invocation of MP did not terminate completely (this happens occasionally). There are no MP panels visible, but if you start Windows Task Manager and look at the processes that are running, you will see that MediaPortal.exe is still running. Select it and terminate it. Alternatively, simply reboot.

Same for MediaPortal Configuration.
    I have not encountered this before. If what I suggested above is true, when you start "MP Config" it should detect that MP is still running and offer to close it. Since that is not happening, the explanation above may not be correct. :(

I'll provide more if you'll let me know how (e.g., logs?).
    To enable logs, you need to start "MP Config" and set the log level to DEBUG. If you cannot start "MP Config", I don't know what you can do. :(

The nuclear solution is to uninstall MP completely, and then re-install it (possibly using a different version). The even more nuclear option is to re-install Windows. Perhaps someone else has an idea what is happening.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    First I would try a reboot, then try to start mediaportal.
    If Mediaportal doesn't show up, and windows doesn't produce any error you could check in your programdata folder (C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log) to see if there are any log files with a datetime that matches your attempt.
    Check those if you see any obvious, if not: post them here

tm19

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2015
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks everyone for pitching in.

@CyberSimian - yeah, tried rebooting, etc., no joy unfortunately

@doskabouter - Can't run MP Config to set debug mode. I've uploaded the logs, such as they are. Maybe there's a clue buried in there somewhere.

In the meantime I'm trying out Kodi with NextPVR backend, but I'd be happy with a quick fix on the old MP.

Attachments

• log.zip
      3.7 KB

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I think this is the issue:
    [ERROR !!!] RenameDirectory: Renaming directory failed for some reason.
    and
    [ERROR !!!] Loading MediaPortalDirectories from InstallDir failed. ('C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortalDirs.xml')

Something is messed up in your folders...
    I would opt for a reinstall of mediaportal, but make sure you remove any remaining leftovers in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal and C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal folders after the uninstall.
    Unless ofcourse you have put lots ot time in configuration/tweaking/etc. In that case we can probably work out something to not loose all your efforts

johns11

Portal Pro
    February 7, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @tm19 did you figure it out?

For the last few days I've been getting the same issue (it seems) in my 1.12 system (can't upgrade due to IR issues since MCE rewrite). I have run "Reinstall current installation to 1.12.0", with no success and for this reason have no logs at all. Configuration.exe will not start, and if I try to run Watchdog I get an exception (same exception in event viewer):
    ************* Exception Text **************
    System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
    at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
    at MediaPortal.Profile.XmlSettingsProvider..ctor(String xmlFileName)
    at MediaPortal.Profile.Settings..ctor(String fileName, Boolean isCached)
    at WatchDog.MPWatchDog.CreateTemporaryConfiguration()
    at WatchDog.MPWatchDog.LaunchMediaPortalAction()

Interesting that, similar to the post above, it is about XML. I've checked out MediaPortalDirs.xml and it looks valid.

Anyway I'll continue to investigate, probably this weekend, and will post back anything I find.
    cheers

EDIT: I took the easy option and restored from a backup so have unfortunately nothing to share about the cause. All working again now :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom