MediaPortal 2.1 Final unable to access configuration (1 Viewer)

Richa99

Portal Member
May 9, 2017
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I just upgraded from 2.0 Spring 16 following the instructions on Upgrade Spring '16 - MediaPortal 2 - MediaPortal Wiki
Having completed the upgrade I can access MediaPortal OK but I get this error when trying to access the configuration.
I am running Windows 10
Any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• MP2 error screen.jpg
    MP2 error screen.jpg
    188.1 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello richa99,

This looks as if the server service wasn't running at all. You should be able to see this in the tray menu when looking at the server service monitor: what color does the icon have?

Did you try to reboot the PC?

Lastly, please upload full logs. You can easily collect logs from within the client app. There is a dedicated menu entry in Settings/System/...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There is also the LogCollector icon on your desktop that does the same job.

We have had few reports from people where the upgrade didn't work, bit they all had a server service that the client couldn't connect to. Your case is different and I would be interested in taking a look at the logs.

In the end if everything else fails, you can always consider a fresh install. However, without some manual interaction you would then need to redo your TV setup from scratch. Let me know if that's an option for you.

Richa99

Portal Member
    May 9, 2017
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Taking your questions in order:-
    1) Yes the server service is Green and running see screenshot
    2) Yes done the reboot a few times
    3) Think I have attached the log files you want although it was actually under Settings/GENERAL/System/. I ran the "Collect Log Files" and got the attached error message which seems strange because the Zip file was created and attached.

Re second post
    I could do a fresh install presumably I can add my existing media source via the media sources so that wouldn't be a problem. Of course if I can't access the configuration then I will be ^%*#ed :). Lets wait and see if you come up with something at this stage.

Extra info
    Client and server are both on the same PC and "Owner" is the username used to login to the PC.

Attachments

• MP2 Service Monitor.jpg
      MP2 Service Monitor.jpg
      45.3 KB
    • File error message.jpg
      File error message.jpg
      56.8 KB

Richa99

Portal Member
    May 9, 2017
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just had a thought. You mentioned doing a fresh install but the instructions for the MP2 Spring 16 upgrade said to uninstall MP@ first and then install which is what I did.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You mentioned doing a fresh install but the instructions for the MP2 Spring 16 upgrade said to uninstall MP@ first and then install which is what I did.
    That's correct. However, we have seen (few) situations where for some reason this isn't working as supposed. Therefore you could consider doing a complete fresh start, i.e. completely uninstalling MediaPortal and removing the information in ProgramData by renaming the folder C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal to somthing else. If you now install MP 2.1 Final you can start with a completely naked situation. Note that without further manual input this requires that you search your TV channels again.

From what I see in the log your system is importing your media information. What concerns are messages like this:
    [2017-05-09 13:50:14,015] [106970 ] [61 ] [INFO ] - TvThumbnails.VideoThumbCreator: No C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Plugins\SlimTv.Service3\ffmpeg.exe found to generate thumbnails of your video!

Also, communication with the SlimTvService is still not working:
    [2017-05-09 15:48:01,471] [46317 ] [SetupTv ] [INFO ] - ---- restart tvservice----
    [2017-05-09 15:48:47,484] [92330 ] [SetupTv ] [INFO ] - ---- Unable to restart tv service----
    [2017-05-09 15:48:47,485] [92331 ] [SetupTv ] [ERROR] -
    System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.0.20:31456

For some reason your setup is behaving strangely, and I can't tell you why.

My recommendation is to go for a fresh installation as described above. Before reinstalling please check if you have any MySQL files left on your PC from older installations. If yes, then please try to remove the respective files and folders too before reinstalling MP 2.1

Richa99

Portal Member
    May 9, 2017
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Not good news. Followed your instructions, same problem.
    I uninstalled MP2.
    Renamed the folderc C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal to TMP_OLD
    Searched for anything to do with MySQL but couldn't find anything. This PC only ever had MP2 Spring 16 on it.
    Searched for anything of MP2 not removed by uninstall but couldn't find anything
    Rebooted to just to clear anything cached, etc.
    Installed MP2 used the Client + Server install.
    Waited for all disk activity to finish, tried Configuration but same error.
    Rebooted again.
    Waited for all disk activity to finish, tried Configuration but same error.
    Created log files

Next idea?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Next idea?
    I am running short... The SlimTvService is either not initialized or cannot be contacted at 192.168.0.20 on port 31456.

Let me think about it, I'll be back on it.

Last edited:

aspik

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 14, 2008
    @Richa99
    do you have any antivirus software installed on that PC? If so, could you try to disable it and try again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom