[solved] MediaPortal 2.1 GUI incredibly slow Performance (1 Viewer)

mx-5driver

Portal Member
May 13, 2017
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello Folks,

I have just upgraded successfully from MediaPortal 2.0 Sping 16 Release to the lately released MediaPortal 2.1.
While most Settings have been kept the Database seems to be not imported successfully - no Matter - I had to build a new one.

Now to the Main Issue that is bugging me is the terribly slow Performance of the MediaPortal 2.1 GUI.
I have no Idea on what is causing this ???

The Hardware is an ASUS Gamer Mainboard, with a Intel Core i1 and 16 GB RAM + 256 Samsung Evo M.2 SSD as System Drive.
Operating System is Windows 10 Pro latest Release 1703 with latest Patch Status.
Also all installed Software is up-to-date to the very latest Versions.

Symptoms are whatever I click in MediaPortal 2.1 - it takes Minutes until the desired Menu Action takes place !?

Also I wonder why I haven't read any simiar Reports from other Users yet ?
I have absolutely no Idea on what is causing this - no Suspicious Behaviour in Task-Manager like processes consuming lot of System Resources.
No suspicious Entries in Windows EventViewer either.

MediaPortal 2 Spring Release 2016 was running as a Charm on the same System.

Please help / advise on what to do !?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello Folks,

I have just upgraded successfully from MediaPortal 2.0 Sping 16 Release to the lately released MediaPortal 2.1.
    While most Settings have been kept the Database seems to be not imported successfully - no Matter - I had to build a new one.

Now to the Main Issue that is bugging me is the terribly slow Performance of the MediaPortal 2.1 GUI.
    I have no Idea on what is causing this ???

The Hardware is an ASUS Gamer Mainboard, with a Intel Core i1 and 16 GB RAM + 256 Samsung Evo M.2 SSD as System Drive.
    Operating System is Windows 10 Pro latest Release 1703 with latest Patch Status.
    Also all installed Software is up-to-date to the very latest Versions.

Symptoms are whatever I click in MediaPortal 2.1 - it takes Minutes until the desired Menu Action takes place !?

Also I wonder why I haven't read any simiar Reports from other Users yet ?
    I have absolutely no Idea on what is causing this - no Suspicious Behaviour in Task-Manager like processes consuming lot of System Resources.
    No suspicious Entries in Windows EventViewer either.

MediaPortal 2 Spring Release 2016 was running as a Charm on the same System.

Please help / advise on what to do !?
    Thanks for your feedback.

You have an import running in the background (You didn't upload your logs, but I'm sure about it). The Gui can be slow until the import is completed. You can know about the import progress by the rotating icon with a percentage progress label next to it. Just wait until the import is finished. If you use the search function here in forum you'll find comparable cases of other users.

In case no import is running, please check first how to mention a problem or bug.
    With only your description it is hard to help you.

mx-5driver

Portal Member
    May 13, 2017
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello ge2301,

First thanks for your quick Reply.

However first leaning back and just advising to RTFM is not the nicest Approach of Support.I think !
    Also telling me the obvious that System may be slower than usual while running an Import Process is not really helpful.
    When I was reading that I thought thats a Matter of common Sense, isn't it ?
    Of Course I also already spent a Lot of Time into Recherche whether a similar Problem is already reported somewhere - however I did not find this one yet.

Anyways, I understand that you needed more Details, System Specs, Log Files etc. to analyze the Issue & for being able to help with further Advice.
    I also can imagine that there may be a lot of Idiots out there which require to tell them the even obvious Stuff ?

Well, since I still need Help I certainly followed your Advice and filled in the System Specs and created Log-Files which was indeed a major Pain in the Ass because as you may imagine it takes Ages until you get something done like this when each single Click takes so much Time until anything happens.

Please find attached the Log Files you asked for - hopefully they are helpful to identify the Root Cause of the Problem ?

Looking forward to some reasonable Advice after I did my best to provide the needed Info and Data you were asking for.

Best Regards
    mx-5driver

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Of Course I also already spent a Lot of Time into Recherche whether a similar Problem is already reported somewhere - however I did not find this one yet.
    We have made probably 1000 similar comments in various support threads. Your import is still running - wait until it terminates. But please switch off the DEBUG mode or it's going to take much (!) longer than needed. With DEBUG enabled the log activity is so high that this alone is tremendously slowing down the system.

Please find attached the Log Files you asked for - hopefully they are helpful to identify the Root Cause of the Problem ?
    As mentioned by @ge2301 and by me, there is no problem.

mx-5driver

Portal Member
    May 13, 2017
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @HTPCSourcer & @ge2301

Of Course I know the Import was running while I created the Logs.
    I am having rather large Databases and checking the Sources for Updates is configured for each Start of MP2.1.

The Thing is that the slow GUI Performance DOES NOT AT ALL change after the Import Process is completed !

Even once the running Circle in right upper Corner is completed (not rotating anymore) the GUI Performance stays horrible - MP2.1 is in fact almost unusable Status then.

Of Course I was switching Logs off once I created the Logs for you Guys. ;)

Every Activity when clicking an Item takes Ages to show up !
    When clicking a Function Button or switching Channels - No Matter what you do brings up that spinnng Circle in the Middle of the Screen.
    Then it takes really Ages until something happens.

For Example I can go into the Kitchen and wash the Dishes while wating a TV Channel switched on to come up with Video & Sound !

Man I can understand you have to do with a Lot of Idiots asking stupid Questions etc.
    However I hope I seriously described the Situation clear enough that this Issue I am reporting does not have to do with Media Import Process running in the Background.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    With all due respect, but your logs tell a different story. When you created the above logs, the music import was still running.

If you are convinced that there is no import please provide a fresh server log.

mx-5driver

Portal Member
    May 13, 2017
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @HTPCSourcer

with all Respect my Friend - did you entirely read my Post - did you ???

As I said the Import was running while creating the Logs - I KNOW THAT - BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER AS REGARDING PERFORMANCE NOTHING CHANGES AFTER THE IMPORT COMPLETES.
    I certainly know the Import was running while I was creating the Logs
    & I certainly know that this should be reflected in the Logs I was providing.
    I NEVER DENIED THAT - Did I ?

The Reason why the Import was running while creating the Logs is simple as follows:
    I simply did not want to wait with creating the Logs until the Import is completed as this takes quite some Time and from Experience I already know that the Performance doesn't change toi the better anyways after it completes.
    The Import always runs after starting up MP2.1 - I have it configured that Way to always automatically add newly added Content on Startup !
    HOWEVER GUI PERFORMANCE REALLY DOES NOT CHANGE - EVEN AFTER THE IMPORT IS FINISHED !!!
    ---> THE GUI PERFORMANCE STAYS BAD - EVEN AFTER IMPORT IS FINISHED !!!

Sorry, but I feel like loosing Patience, as I am either seem to be talking Chinese or what I am saying is not taken seriously here !?
    With all Respect, I really value the Help within the Community here, however it does not make much sense to repeatedly explain the Situation until someone believes me on what I am saying ?!

Whatever is needed I am happy to provide any Info or Logs you'll need - I am cooperative & willing to follow your Advise,
    but you have to believe me what I am saying.
    Do I really have to run & upload another LOG after the Import is finished until you Guys are believing what I am saying that the GUI Performance stays bad even after the Import is finished ???
    If that helps I can certainly do so, but I believe it doesn't make Sense - does it ?

I certainly know that the Import can have negative Impact Performance-wise - however I did not install MP2.1 Today - I have it running for several Days already (since last Weekend).
    I already left the HTPC alone to complete the Import (overnight) until the round Icon in the upper right Corner disappeared.
    Then I checked GUI Performance again ---> Still bad.

Its not that MP2.1 is not working at all - but compared to the previous MP2.0 Spring 2016 everything is slower by at leat the Factor 50 !

Right now I have the HTPC running - the rotating Import Icon is gone as expected - so I understand the Import Process is finished.
    However switching around in the Menus or even changing the TV Channels is still horribly slow !
    I really did not overaggregate when saying I can wash the Dishes while waiting for TV Video & Sound comes up !

I hope this is just a Misunderstanding of the Situation & the entire Situation is clear now ?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Please provide logs. The previous logs were taken with import running and are of no use to assess any other issue that you may not may not have.

If the responsiveness is not good, then there is a reason for this. But without logs we'll never know.

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And one more thing: please respect the Netiquette. Capital letters means yelling at people.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    However first leaning back and just advising to RTFM is not the nicest Approach of Support.I think !
    Also telling me the obvious that System may be slower than usual while running an Import Process is not really helpful.
    When I was reading that I thought thats a Matter of common Sense, isn't it ?
    I gave a contructive feedback and was even right. Several users had a slow GUI and I just gave the hint, that you should wait for the import being completed. In case the problem is not solved I gave a link with details how to describe the problem and the information, that it is difficult to help otherwise.
    It's direct, but fair. I can partly not say that about your feedback.

We need logs after the completed import to help further. As mentioned from the logs during import no other problem is visible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom