"MediaPortal and MeediOS merger talks - take 2" (1 Viewer)

mickb

Portal Pro
June 8, 2005
Travelling Australia
Home Country
Australia Australia
MP & MeediOS

I have read both threads with an open mind and believe that collaboration would probably benefit the users in both groups. Whether that means a full merger or code sharing or nothing is unknown and in reality would be a decision for Frodo and the other Dev's, as, although MP is open source, it is really their project.

Not being a Dev or claim to understand all of the discussion points, I feel that it would benefit the whole community if statements about false information are not just left hanging. I concur with Waltz and HdWagner that if there are inconsistencies in the descriptions of MP in the MeediOS thread that they should be put straight so people on both sides are making statements from an informed position.

I looked at Meedio before deciding to go with MP as the best for my needs, but that doesn't mean that MP is the best at everything and couldn't be improved with input from the MeediOS dev's if that were to happen.

Frank and open discussion will get us all a lot further than incomplete statements from one side or the other.

All of this is just MHO but I look forward to this thread being explored further.

Mickb

Jetboy

Portal Pro
April 15, 2005
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
This sounds like something we can all grow from! I'll have to agree with the MeediOS people that Meedio is better when it comes to menu structure and modularity. There has been a lot of talk from time to time about rebuilding the MP home "plugin" for more menu flexibility etc, this might be a great opportunity for this. I really think the MP devs should talk to (and listen to) the MeediOS devs to see if something good won't come from this!

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    IMO talking with them is okay, if they wanna move to MP also, but MediaPortal is "MediaPortal" and it would/should be so. But ideas of fusion any names/projects is nonsense, i hope.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    chris, could you give us MeediOS-developers an example of this false information? I'm afraid this is our knowledge about MP.
    sure. only a few things listed below.

binary64 said:
    I have a good chat with frodo, the tv guru. Now it seem they see the light, and have started work on MP 2.0, which is an entire ground-up recode.
    If he is refering to current MediaPortal 0.2.0.0, this is not a entire ground-up recode.

If he means the TV-Engine. thats V3.0

HdWagner said:
    - I had a look at MP 0.3 / MP 2.0. It's the good old MP spaghetti code - yes, it's early in development and it's what bootstrapping always looks like.
    MP 0.3 / MP 2.0 :confused:
    spaghetti code :confused:

HdWagner said:
    Because what I've seen so far (no, I didn't take enough time to see much), makes me feel we few MeediOS devs have to lead the MP devs . Because if this
    http://www.byanyother.name/downloads/mediaportal/MPdev.html
    a very interesting post.
    your posting is based on a unoffical lineup made by one of the MediaPortal users.

Please get in contact with the team to know whats realy going on. instead of using forum posts of users as resource.

If your team is interested in a joint venture please get in contact with dman_lfc.
    he can arrange a meeting in IRC. so you can talk with the team.

from what i have seen in this thread in your forums, it doesnt look like your team has been talking much with the MediaPortal developers.

:D

HdWagner

Portal Pro
    June 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Chris

If these points are all the false information you mentioned, then I'm relieved :)

To clearify things:
    As you've probably guessed MP 2.0, MP 0.3 refer to MediaPortalNG, sometimes refered to as MP 2.0 and MP 0.3 in the MeediaPortal forum.

With "spaghetti code" I refered for example to mypictures which worked directly with screen controls.
    With "good old" I refered to the code I found when I wrote the C.All plugin for MP 0.2.

None of this was meant to offend anybody. It was a discussion if and how joining forces and concepts would be sensible and possible.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    To clearify things:
    As you've probably guessed MP 2.0, MP 0.3 refer to MediaPortalNG, sometimes refered to as MP 2.0 and MP 0.3 in the MeediaPortal forum.

With "spaghetti code" I refered for example to mypictures which worked directly with screen controls.

I have never heard of MediaPortalNG before you mentioned it, and a search bought up an old thread from 07/05 with some graphics from a skin someone was thinking about making. What do you mean by MediaPortalNG (apologies if I have missed something obvious)?

I have never heard of code that just worked directly with screen controls called "spaghetti code". I always thought that spaghetti code referred to code with complicated execution paths and end points (like spaghetti), such as code involving GOTOs and the like. I understand that working directly with screen controls isn't ideal, but I am not sure what you mean here by "spaghetti code".

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    officialy:

- Current version is 0.2.0.0
    - latest patch is 0.2.0.4
    - upcoming version will be 0.3.0.0
    - MediaPortal NG -> includes new skin engine
    - TV-Server -> TV-Engine V3.0

btw. 0.2.0.0 means Beta 2, just in case :) .

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I am sure there are good programming brains that can enrich MP experience.

Right now (after years with myHTPC and Meedio) I can honestly say (I've written it before) that MP is 95% Meedio functionality plus 10% other functionality, while Meedio is 90% MP functionality plus 5% other functionality. Not bad for a project much younger than Meedio and without any DEDICATED programmers behind it.

I really really really would love media database and import system from Meedio and of course the stupidly easy way of setting up your menus (even calling the same module many times with different parameters). MP could DEFINATELY benefit from those. In fact give me those in MP and there is no question about which is the best HEPC software on planet Earth on any hardware right now.

...then of course I would love nice live 3D front end (like Front Row), but that is not "extra functionality", just flash...

Please cooperate. After all, the plugin minds behind Meedio all loved how everything started "free" and I am sure many got confused or even angry back when myHTPC became commercial Meedio (with THEIR work as added attraction in selling the product) and a second time when Meedio became the servant boy of Yahoo. I would run and keep running away for long if I were one of them (and at least this is what I did as a user).

...anyway just my 0.204 euro...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom