"MediaPortal and MeediOS merger talks - take 2" (1 Viewer)

muad

October 5, 2006
Hi all,

I am not a regular user of MediaPortal nor Meedio, however I really like the idea of opensource HTPC solution and I've been monitoring Media Portal progress for almost a year now. Personally I use MythTV because I can reuse my Linux home router/server, and for my parents I ended up buying Win MCE, because at the time I was building the HTPC for them, it was the best solution for nontechnical minded people - carefully designed to be easily comprehensible, well integrated with OS, responsive, had the best TV engine around, and although not bug-free, after some tuning it was the most reliable solution of all.

With recent advances I decided to get to know MediaPortal more and was quite impressed by the amount of work the team have done on it. It's a great deed especially with current Media Portal architecture, which clearly has not been designed to allow MediaPortal to grow so quickly and to such a large extent. If MediaPortal wants to keep up with its competition in a long-term perspective it needs modern extensible architecture and project organization which will allow it to grow and take advantage of the power of the great and increasing both user and developer base.

From this point of view I see the Meedios initiative as a great opportunity to join the forces, utilize experience of both teams and create together a platform for what in a few years can be the "ultimate HTPC solution for all". It should be based on modern, simple and clearly defined software design principles, it shouldn't enforce any unnecessary dependencies (both internally and externally - on particular technologies) to allow it to grow and be extended any (even unimaginable) way, it should define strict development rules and processes which everybody would understand and follow, it should be carefully documented - especially the overall architecture and the extension points (plugins, addons, components or whatever you call it).

There are many open-source projects which can be valuable source of ideas (e.g. Eclipse with its extensible plug-in architecture), ready to use component systems (e.g. Castle), and lots of experience from existing HTPC solutions (e.g. MediaPortal or Meedio :)).

Here are some brief ideas to be more concrete:
  • component-based with micro-kernel and everything else as a component
  • well-architected and well-documented core components (data persistence services, file-storage services etc.)
  • distributed (e.g. mutliple servers and frontends on different devices)
  • support for multiple platforms (e.g. frontends for Windows using WPF or DirectX, Linux using X11 or OpenGL, PDA using WinCE API etc.)
  • public plug-in registry enabling instant plug-in management directly from the couch
  • all of current great features of MediaPortal, Meedio, MediaCenter etc.

You might very well say "we don't need want/need an ultimate HTPC solution" and I agree. Many of these features might never be implemented, but if the new platform don't prevent from implementing them, they are possible. And that is the case and the reason to create it - to give it the possiblity to evolve. The fusion could be great opportunity to make this happen.

JMHO, regards to all.

Muad

Dordo

Portal Pro
December 3, 2004
I was just wondering what ever came of this. As a long time follower and user of Media Portal I think this was and still is a terrific idea. Can anyone at all fill me in as to why this never eventuated? I am giddy at just thinking of the possibilities

starfire

Portal Member
December 19, 2006
Well, MeediOS just want to get the Meedio core working again as opensource first, and then take things from there. It seems as though their won't be a PVR function to MeediOS initially (if at all), and there was talk of incorporating the new MP TV engine as a solution to this.

cul8er

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    According to what binary64 writes in MeediOS forum two weeks ago it sounds like more than just talk.

"As to TV plugin you mention, as for the point above, we are placing our bets on frodo from the opensource MP team for his excellent looking new tvengine3 which can do everything except make the coffee. "
    http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=405&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Sounds very interresting.
    :)

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    [...]tvengine3 which can do everything except make the coffee. "[...]:)
    As a side remark: This is on the to-do list, isn't it?

As a stauch hippie one of my favorite remarks would be "the more people, the more fun", so keep on going I'd say.

cul8er

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    News from Meedios website. According to this post a merger meeting will occur today. What is Frodos official comment on this?

**************** POST FROM MEEDIOS **************************
    Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:27 am Post subject:
    we will share the meeting minutes (and log?) after the meeting tomorrow - with the idea of each of us here making our own decision. We will be treating this as a seperate project. There will still be a few people working on MP, and perhaps a few people still with MeediOS. I will support this website until our hosting runs out due to insufficient donations (ie, when the MeediOS project naturually dies).

i don't think loyalty is a Good Thing when it comes to FOSS development. however, i may choose to stick with MeediOS depending on the meet.

we can't invite you all to the meet as there will be enough dev's as it is!

any meedio(s) regulars feel free to PM me a very concise list of your thoughts for me to try and weigh in. right now my list is small: we want ownership of db, maid, and possibility of forking the core to test a multithreaded core. The utility plugins such as walt's meetvshows should hopefully be negotiated in the next phase (as there are hundreds of plugins between us).

lastly, i feel this meet has been motivated mainly by myself - what i'm saying is i realise my views dont reflect you all. So as i say, wait for our log and minutes and make your own choices.

frodo is solo nominee for chief arcitect. and i feel mp want to host the website and code building system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom