"MediaPortal and MeediOS merger talks - take 2" (2 Viewers)

HdWagner

Portal Pro
June 4, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have never heard of code that just worked directly with screen controls called "spaghetti code". I always thought that spaghetti code referred to code with complicated execution paths and end points (like spaghetti), such as code involving GOTOs and the like. I understand that working directly with screen controls isn't ideal, but I am not sure what you mean here by "spaghetti code".
Yes, you're right. I haven't been exact enough. What I meant is s.th. like 'as one can see in some well known sourceforge projects, working on objects and ressources directly is what sooner or later leads to hacks and improvements. These are often made without a big pictured concept and this leads to spaghetti code.' Or something like that. I hope you know what I mean.

I have never heard of MediaPortalNG before you mentioned it, and a search bought up an old thread from 07/05 with some graphics from a skin someone was thinking about making. What do you mean by MediaPortalNG (apologies if I have missed something obvious)?
It's already making good progress:
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mediaportal/trunk/MediaPortalNG/
Yes, it's not hyped very well - even administrators aren't aware ;)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Hi all. I'm from MeediOS land too. My first post. Will post something constructive soon!!

Welcome, just remember what I said in that MeediOS post. MP does take some time to tweak to the way you fully want it, but we are all here to help if you have any questions. Looking forward to any collaboration...

@NLS, I remember when you first popped across to the MP forums. In a short time you have become a great asset to the team. Not sure if anyone has said it yet, but great to have you on board :)

Cheers

Marcus.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It's already making good progress:
    http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mediaportal/trunk/MediaPortalNG/
    Yes, it's not hyped very well - even administrators aren't aware ;)
    Sure they are. At least ours, dunno about yours, tho. ;)

@NLS, I remember when you first popped across to the MP forums. In a short time you have become a great asset to the team. Not sure if anyone has said it yet, but great to have you on board :)
    NLS is a user, not a team member. Just mentioning, no judging. (Cause user comments/contributions are easily taken as team stuff from the Meedios staff.)

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    you forgot "just" (as in "just a user")

:p

my only tangible contribution is the Greek translation yet
    I might help in ohter things in the future (like docs - which I usually do great -, or skins)

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Oh my, there seems to be quite some hurt feelings to heal before these projects can work together.
    Spegetti Code
    - No hurt feelings? Thats the way to hurt a dev ;-)

But for me only knowing MP and parts of the MP code: Yes MP can benefit from a more modular approach. It is grown so fast, that (as in every dev project) it is not well structured anymore. The MP Database is far from perfect and the class structure is in some parts very opld school.

But before thinking of a project merger, the people have to get together and to start giving everybody some respect! Working together in a project is people business and being successfull in such project is more dependant on the people getting along than on anyones individual coding skills.

And if something great comes from it, it may be called "Media Portal MeediOS Release 0.3.0.0 Vista XP Beta 5 (2007)" if you like ;-)

Hesse

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2006
    I'm a longtime Meedio user as well. I actually still use it as my main frontend because I haven't gotten MP to the point where it has all the features that I had in Meedio. I'm working on plugins and some other things to help the transition.

One of the things that is seriously lacking in MP is the flexibility in databases and modules for viewing information in those databases. To that end, I'm currently working on improving this functionality so that it matches Meedio in this regard. I'm trying to add a flexible "Views" structure similar to that in the Meedio databases. Then any module can read the views information in the database to know how to display the data. Once I get the saving/loading views in the database working, then the next step is to make a generic Media Module which can display the data.

Some of you might be saying that MP already has views, and you're right but they really aren't flexible for an arbitrary database. What I'm trying to do is allow the user to set views for any database they choose so they aren't restricted to the predefined databases.

I'm close to getting the saving/loading GUI working. If anyone is interested or wants to help, please let me know. I know I'm going to have trouble with the XML files. Its taken me a while to learn C# to do these plugins...

Jesse

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Hi HdWagner,

It was a discussion if and how joining forces and concepts would be sensible and possible.

We are always interested in new developers who would like to help improve MP (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=2993).

If you or any other MeediOS developers/admins/etc are interested to join our project please take up contact (IRC being one of the best methods to talk with the team).

- 20:3 is not the best relation ... I can see clearly which "party" says what to do - again, this needn't to be negative.

There seems to be a general fear that you would lose your voice if you join a bigger project like MP. However, we try to work as a team, where everyone has a say.

I personally think that there are sometime too many open source projects doing the same thing. Leading to a lot of "half finished" software. I believe it would better to have few "more complete" projects.

As smesser said (http://www.meedios.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1259#1259)
    smesser said:
    I think that everyone should do as suits them best. No hurt feelings here. I think that in the end calaboration is good but we all have different wants from our HTPCs.

This is true, and working on the same project is not for everyone. However, I think we all want more or less the same things in an HTPC application, although we may differ a little which parts we use (Media playback, TV, PVR, etc).

Just my thoughts.

/James

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom