MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (7 Viewers)

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Sorry for the late testing. I got ill. No problems here as well. Tested TV/HDTV/AVI/MKV/WMV a lot of kinds, and I cound not find any obvioos issue anymore. the darkknight is playing normally now,

Thanks for the fix Tourettes. :)

I will keep an eye out for other / new things though.

Thanks again.

edterbak

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Tourettes.
I have a question.
In the ATI settings, what are the recommendations icw the renderer?
Vertical refresh sync.
color spacing.
Other settings?
I know they are mostly video related, but some might have an influence.

Hope you have a clear and general answer.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Tourettes.
    I have a question.
    In the ATI settings, what are the recommendations icw the renderer?
    Vertical refresh sync.
    color spacing.
    Other settings?
    I know they are mostly video related, but some might have an influence.

Hope you have a clear and general answer.

Sorry, no experience with ATI after that 3450 fiasco :)

GeYe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 17, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

I have realized, that with this audio renderer the High Definition Trailers (HD) - Demo World - Dolby Digital Plus Channel Check (Lossless) - Video don't play smooth and sound is crackling. If I change back to DirectSound the Videofile is smooth and plays ok.

Is this a limitation of the renderer because of Dolby True HD?

Windows 7 (Vista most likely as well) audio decoder is not supporting AC3 with 3rd party applications (Dolby lisencing restirction - Microsoft MPEG-1/DD/AAC Audio Decoder (Windows))

I have tested the latest version 20.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

I have realized, that with this audio renderer the High Definition Trailers (HD) - Demo World - Dolby Digital Plus Channel Check (Lossless) - Video don't play smooth and sound is crackling. If I change back to DirectSound the Videofile is smooth and plays ok.

Sounds like a performance issue - MP Audio Renderer has quite high CPU requirements since it will timestrecth the audio.

That file works here ok with Nvidia GT220 and old 3800+ AMD dual core CPU (well, as good as some 29,97 fps clip can work on 50Hz display...). Please post more details of the HW and at least the audio renderer log.

Others, please try that same sample file.

Is this a limitation of the renderer because of Dolby True HD?

Windows 7 (Vista most likely as well) audio decoder is not supporting AC3 with 3rd party applications (Dolby lisencing restirction - Microsoft MPEG-1/DD/AAC Audio Decoder (Windows))

No, there is no limitation on renderer side on any audio formats, only the decoders (like MS) could have some limitation for example with licensing. And that would be just completely silence, not

GeYe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 17, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

Here are the logs. Played the sample file 2 x times with the mediaportal audio renderer, because the first time my screen was black, but I heard the sound. Second time saw the picture and heard the sound. When all speakers was playing the sound was crackling really bad. The other zip is 1 x time playing sample file with normal renderer.

The specs of the system are under "My System".

Athlon 5050e
    ATI 5450
    Win 7 32bit

Wouldn't say that this system is slow ;) . My Soundsystem is directly connected to the Realtek On Board card. No passthrough.

Attachments

• log_normal_renderer.zip
      9.9 KB
    • log_with_mediaportal_renderer.zip
      174.2 KB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Here are the logs. Played the sample file 2 x times with the mediaportal audio renderer, because the first time my screen was black, but I heard the sound. Second time saw the picture and heard the sound. When all speakers was playing the sound was crackling really bad. The other zip is 1 x time playing sample file with normal renderer.

Audio renderer is constatnyl getting samples that are late. No clue why the audio decoder fails to deliver those frames at correct time (please note that directshow audio renderer might be not as agressive to drop late samples so it might not corrupt the stream therefore).

24-11-2010 18:11:46.114 [ dec] DROP sample rtTime: 20677.486 ms rtSampleTime: 20675.006 ms
    24-11-2010 18:11:46.114 [ dec] DROP sample rtTime: 20677.795 ms rtSampleTime: 20675.840 ms
    24-11-2010 18:11:46.114 [ dec] DROP sample rtTime: 20678.090 ms rtSampleTime: 20676.673 ms
    24-11-2010 18:11:46.115 [ dec] DROP sample rtTime: 20678.438 ms rtSampleTime: 20677.506 ms
    24-11-2010 18:11:46.115 [ dec] DROP sample rtTime: 20678.738 ms rtSampleTime: 20678.339 ms
    24-11-2010 18:11:47.013 [ dec] DROP sample rtTime: 21576.526 ms rtSampleTime: 21572.470 ms
    24-11-2010 18:11:47.013 [ dec] DROP sample rtTime: 21576.833 ms rtSampleTime: 21573.304 ms
    24-11-2010 18:11:47.013 [ dec] DROP sample rtTime: 21577.080 ms rtSampleTime: 21574.137 ms

Athlon 5050e
    ATI 5450
    Win 7 32bit

Wouldn't say that this system is slow ;) . My Soundsystem is directly connected to the Realtek On Board card. No passthrough.

Also EVR presenter is showing late frames which would point into performance issue - as my dev PC has much slower CPU I would suspect that DXVA is not used for some reason and in combination the video decoding and audio resampling is causing the issue, but that is just a guess. It could be also some ffdshow setting.

But until other people test that same sample I can only guess since I have no issues with that sample.

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

Athlon 5050e
    ATI 5450
    Win 7 32bit

What is your audio decoder? If i select ffdshow i have this crackling noise too, with Microsoft Decoder from Windows7 i have no problem at all. All running smooth, also with wmv files with the last version 20.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

What is your audio decoder? If i select ffdshow i have this crackling noise too, with Microsoft Decoder from Windows7 i have no problem at all. All running smooth, also with wmv files with the last version 20.

He's using ffdshow - audio renderer will log the used audio decoder. I have no issues with ffdshow as audio decoder on that sample. What ffdshow versions you are using? I have "build 3556 Sep 2 2010".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom