MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality (1 Viewer)

Jelmo

Portal Pro
September 8, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

Some quick questions about the usage.

My TV isn´t able to play 24fps --> so i can´t use refresh changer

My TV signal provides 50hz and also 25Hz. So my display should able to handle this without shuttering.
But what about my video files which contains 23,xx fps matterial ? Does the audiorender automaticly speed up to 25hz or
should i configure something to get it working ?

red5goahead

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 24, 2007
    Italy, North West
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Re: AW: MediaPortal Audio renderer - better video playback quality

So my display should able to handle this without shuttering.
    But what about my video files which contains 23,xx fps matterial ? Does the audiorender automaticly speed up to 25hz or
    should i configure something to get it working ?

Yes. Cinema material can be handled by new audio renderer. No configuration is needed. 23,976 or 24 fps will be accellerated to 25 fps and 29,97 to 30 fps. You have to keep refresh to 50 HZ. and set refresh changer only for 29.97 to change to 60 HZ (your monitor should be able for that refresh)

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I've been using the renderer for a few weeks now and here is some feedback and questions. I mainly watch broadcast TV (almost always recorded), I have both DVB-T and DVB-S feeds with HD via DVB-S. All of the TV I watch tends to be PAL and my TV runs at 50Hz. I need to add about 75ms delay to my audio feed to keep things in sync and I now do this via the renderer (Previously I used the delay feature in the ffdshow audio codec). I'm generally pretty happy with how things work. However I do have a small number of dropped frames typically 12 in 20 minutes, I seem to get slightly more dropped frames when watching HD TV (particularly BBC-HD). Is this sort of drop rate what you would expect with this configuration?

Thanks for all of the hard work

Andy

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I'm generally pretty happy with how things work. However I do have a small number of dropped frames typically 12 in 20 minutes, I seem to get slightly more dropped frames when watching HD TV (particularly BBC-HD). Is this sort of drop rate what you would expect with this configuration?

I woulnd't expect any dropped frames on such configuration if:

1) signal has no issues
    2) there is no CPU hog background processes
    3) DPC Latency Checker reports no issues

If all those are ok, then please provide EVR.log, TsReader.log, MPAudioRenderer.log and MediaPortal.log.

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,
    Thanks for the feedback. I downloaded dpc checker and my dpc times were really bad! I think it may be related to power settings in particular cpu throttling. The settings on my system were minimum state 5% maximum state 100%, I've changed this to be 100%/100% and the dpc times have gone way down (and so have the dropped frames). Does anyone have any recommendation for what power settings I should be using? Also what impact is having things at 100%/100% likely to have?

Thanks

Andy

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Gloomy,

The power settings will be specific to your system and your needs - All I can suggest is trial and error.

As for implications.... Mr EON will be rubbing his hands together! ;)

J.

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    Hi,
    Ok after sorting out my dpc issue I've been doing some more testing and found what I think may be a problem. If I play recorded ITV1 HD programs I get a lot of dropped frames. BBC1 HD and BBC HD are both fine. I tried a few things and switching to the ATI audio renderer or setting the audio delay setting in the MP renderer both seem to fix the issue. The ITV1 HD stream was recorded via DVB-S and I think the format is 1080p (certainly it is not the rather strange format used by the BBC). The delay setting I had was 75ms. The actual program I saw this issue with was the recent Murder on the Orient Express Poirot... I still have the recording and can probably capture lags with and without the delay in place if that is what you need...

Thanks, and Happy New Year...

Andy

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I believe all content is interlaced.

ITV1 HD transmits on two channels one is 1920x1080i, the other is something like 1440x 810i(?)

I have noticed differences between BBC and ITV HD channels - some codecs work better than others.

Its weird how changing the audio rendered gets it working for you (maybe owlroost or tourettes can comment?) - I run the default directsound renderer (using ATI HDMI device) and that works ok for me (I have problems getting MP Audio renderer working)

Many thanks,

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom