Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
April 25, 2012
Wisconsin
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Can someone explain the optimum way for me to handle 5.1 audio? I have an HDMI cable attached to a TV with two speakers which I don't use. I then use an optical cable to output the TV's audio to a 5.1 receiver. (A DVD player uses another optical connection.)

For content coming from the TV's tuner, I do get 5.1 delivered to the receiver. For content coming from the PC, the best I've been able to configure is Dolby Pro Logic, due to Windows' refusal to allow me to specify more than 2 speakers for HDMI. I assume Windows obtains speaker info from the TV and the TV says 2. The receiver has no HDMI port, and it also has no 5.1 analog inputs.

So I guess I have 2 questions: would specifying 5.1 to MPAR actually deliver 5.1 onto the wire? (If so, I'm hoping it would be passed through to the receiver by the TV.) And does HDCP have anything to do with it?

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

also depends on the TV. My Samsung only allows 2.0 on its output when using passthrough (HDPC). Take a look into the manual. Otherwise specifying 5.1 to MPAR could help.

Flip.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It just occurred to me that there might be a way for me to use MP Audio Renderer in conjunction with Audio Renderer Changer. :)

At the moment, I use ARC to toggle between "Default Device" and "Realtek Audio (Speakers)" which are the same thing just by different names, but this works to rebuild the graph and I can associate different ffdshow settings with each device.

So I'm thinking if I could install two copies of the MP Audio Renderer (with different names) I could do the same thing with that. I can't imagine it will be sufficient to just rename mpaudiorender.ax and regsvr32 that, as I'm sure the name that ARC sees is encoded in the .ax somewhere, so perhaps someone could be kind enough to provide me with a copy with an edited name so that I can try this.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi tourettes,

Is there any update or things I can try on the audio dropping issue I reported a little back? Its basically the only thing now keeping me from using MP audio renderen.. (kids AND wife complained a little too much..)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Is there any update or things I can try on the audio dropping issue I reported a little back? Its basically the only thing now keeping me from using MP audio renderen.. (kids AND wife complained a little too much..)

Not much has happened. Haven't had too much free time (or even motivation - summer brings lot of other possibilities that spending time with C++ compiler...) to work with MPAR lately. There is one internal test binary (or few actually) that are trying to fix random A/V sync issues Gibman is seeing. Not sure if they could... but here they are (there is propably some other internal test code as well, so other people should keep those binaries away from any production systems).

Attachments

• AV_sync_test.zip
      2.7 MB
    Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    So I'm thinking if I could install two copies of the MP Audio Renderer (with different names) I could do the same thing with that. I can't imagine it will be sufficient to just rename mpaudiorender.ax and regsvr32 that, as I'm sure the name that ARC sees is encoded in the .ax somewhere, so perhaps someone could be kind enough to provide me with a copy with an edited name so that I can try this.

It would require code modifications as well (separate GUIDs, separate registry keys etc.).

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    It would require code modifications as well (separate GUIDs, separate registry keys etc.).

Darn, that's a shame, I'd hoped it would be a simple patch. Never mind then, I'll just have to stick with using the Realtek renderer and do without MPAR.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    infinite.loop said something on the 1.3 Alpha Release thread re MPAR which I found a bit confusing but didn't want to clutter that thread up with off-topic discussion, so brought it here.

"If you play a video that has 24FPS on a display that runs at 60Hz, then you will have stuttering due to dropped frames. It is as simple as that.
    If your player does not produce stuttering due to the FPS/RR mismatch, then it is doing processing to compensate. Very much as MPAR does."

I'd expect playing a 24FPS (or 50FPS) video on a 60hz display would indeed have stuttering, but can MPAR really solve this? I know it (like Reclock) can speed up playback to make e.g. 24FPS run at 25FPS which will play smoothly on a 50hz display, or 29.97FPS to 30FPS to play smoothly on a 60hz display, but isn't 24FPS (or 50FPS) too far from 60hz to be sped up without it looking ridiculous?

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    Tourettes, I seem to be getting really high CPU usage when MPAR is enabled vs. almost zero when disabled. It's pretty much maxing out one core. This is the version in 1.3.0 alpha

Playback's not affected too badly, but I'm sure the previous standalone version I was using was okay. I'll try and do a bit of digging as soon as I can.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom