Mediaportal on secondary screen (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

I'm running mediaportal on my desktop computer, with a Radeon 9800 pro card.
I'd like to run mediaportal fullscreen on my TV, which is defined as my secondary screen, so this is what I do:

1. I run mediaportal in windowed mode
2. I enter the "Change device" from the file-menu, and choose RADEON 9800 PRO -secondary as Display adapter, sets the resolution for fullscreen (800*600) and presses ok.

Mediaportal is shown on the TV in full screen, but all the buttons and skin-graphics is gone, the bacground is black, and the text is white. Apart from that, it works ok. (apart from the visualation when I play an MP3 is flashing and threatens to give me a seizure of some sort)

When I run it fullscreen on my pc-monitor it works perfectly

How can I get the skin on my TV?
How can I configure the program to start on my tv directly?

I have the 0.0.0.11 version

sta|emate

A

Anonymous

Umm... no... I wish it was, it's something I am intrested in so I may take a look at it sometime however

a) we have other major priorities like stability and support for as many cards as possible
b) mediaportal is already quite heavy on the system and graphics/tv cards additional graphics overhead may be a problem for some machines
c) Very few people have done it succesfully, in fact the only game that I have played that does multimonitor directx well was x2.

However I still have hope that we will see it in the future.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have been checking the nvidia drivers and nvidia themselves say that direct x applications using exclusive fullscreen will not work.

This makes MP usage like you want not possible.
    SO first the gfx cards people find a nice system and then maybe sometime in the future someone wants to write a patch.
    But it will not be frodo.

Frodo had to write something like this for his work and it was hell.
    Soo many problems, so little solutions so much things not working as it should.
    Working on driver a, not on driver b etc etc.
    Hell......

So don't expect this in MP with frodo's signature.

A

Anonymous

How do you solve this then...

I have one computer, one montitor and one tv (connected via VGA as secondary monitor). I would like to be able to use MP on one of them and be able to browse the web on the other. If that is not possible, I would like to be able to show the same content on both screens (Radeon 9600xt). Is that possible?

A

Anonymous

pezmannen said:
    How do you solve this then...
    I have one computer, one montitor and one tv (connected via VGA as secondary monitor). I would like to be able to use MP on one of them and be able to browse the web on the other. If that is not possible, I would like to be able to show the same content on both screens (Radeon 9600xt). Is that possible?

I have struggled with exactly the same thing. A couple of possible options come with the Radeon drivers.

"Theatre mode" tries to capture fullscreen playback and sends it to the secondary monitor. That way you use the monitor to control MP and the TV to view playback of recorded shows, DVD, etc.

"Clone mode" does just that. It displays the same on the secondary monitor (tv) as is seen on the monitor. However, that means that MP will be 1024x768 on your tv (or whatever your monitor is set to) and you can't work on the computer at the same time as your family wants to watch MP on the TV.

Tip: don't extend/enable the second monitor to get to these options

MrMario64 said:
    Frodo had to write something like this for his work and it was hell.
    Soo many problems, so little solutions so much things not working as it should.
    Working on driver a, not on driver b etc etc.
    Hell......

So don't expect this in MP with frodo's signature.

I must admit that I didn't realise it was such a big job to fix.

I believe that this will be a significant driver for a split front/back end architecture. If MP had better support for an alternate front-end, which could use the existing front-end, one with no DX9/directshow requirements, or a web based front-end, then users could choose one which fitted their requirements. If someone wanted to display on a secondary monitor they would just use a different front-end without the current limitations.

Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom