[fixed] Memory application error when shutting down (1 Viewer)

Wo0zy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 30, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Glad to hear you can see why this is happening. Second night on 1.8 and shutting down via power button caused the same error as before so with 2 out of 2 it looks like I can reproduce as needed too.

Question is if this has been an issue forever why has the problem only now become apparent? Definitely hasn't happened with previous releases so what has changed with 1.8 to bring the issue to the surface?

Would a 1.6 shutdown log help?

Cheers,

Wo0zy

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    In 1.8 exit procedures were moved into OnFormClosing handler. Before MP was happy to call it multiple times but now it is not since cleanups should not be done multiple times (shutting down fontmanager, texturemanager etc.)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    In 1.8 exit procedures were moved into OnFormClosing handler. Before MP was happy to call it multiple times but now it is not since cleanups should not be done multiple times (shutting down fontmanager, texturemanager etc.)
    So i assume we need a JIRA for this?

** EDIT **
    MP1-4530
    : MediaPortal crashes when shutting down PC

popy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 3, 2011
    Have the same problem here ... could anyboday make a hotfix?

thx
    pOpY

may24

Portal Member
    August 19, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi, I scanned a few articles about the DDE Error ... well maybe this would help as a (temporal) workaround:

Open your Regedit and goto: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Desktop
    Now alter "AutoEndTasks" and set it to 1

As the article states: "this will not solve the root cause. But there'll be no pop-up as with this option enabled, Windows will merciless kills whatever resides in the memory"

(link to the original article - in german)

mastyman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi, I scanned a few articles about the DDE Error ... well maybe this would help as a (temporal) workaround:

Open your Regedit and goto: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Desktop
    Now alter "AutoEndTasks" and set it to 1

As the article states: "this will not solve the root cause. But there'll be no pop-up as with this option enabled, Windows will merciless kills whatever resides in the memory"

(link to the original article - in german)

Tried it out, seems to work ok, you have to create the key on Windows 8 anyway, it doesn't exist

It doesn't suppress the error message popping up when you shutdown, but after a couple seconds of showing the error message, it does close the message and shutdowns without any user intervention, so that is something anyway.

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tried the reg tweak but the respective entry hasn't been there. So I tried to create it as a dword which obviously wasn't
    correct. Before I continue hacking my registry and end up with a completely messed up pc I better ask.
    So what do I have to enter where?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom