methods of using TV server - discussion thread (2 Viewers)

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
dual tuner cards are more readily available now.

2 x dual-tuner cards would be enough for most people. that would give you 4 tuners. so 2 users could be watching AND recording at the same time.

on a slighty off-topic note - has anyone mentioned Picture-In-Picture function? that would be a good thing to have.

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
IMHO TV Control war shouldn't happend since every user should have it's TV-Card, it's not that expensive !

But what if one user wants to watch series "X" and record series "Y"

It only takes one person that wants more than is available!

What he said. Anyway, it was a suggestion that to me, seemed fairer than a simple 'take control' button. Its a easy idea anyway, so let's concentrate on getting the damn thing out and stabilised, then we can add in these 'nice touches'.

Sam

desmodromisk

October 17, 2006
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I am wery impressed by the mediaportal, and very curious if there are any plans
on bring it into line for ip/tv applications with support for multicast, vod and
set top boxes.

Tomas

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Another question, When the new tv engine is released, will the old TV engine continue to be supported? If so, for how long do you think?

Cheers,

grassynoel

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 6, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Okay, I'm a complete dummy. (can draw but nothing much else) and to be honest, I don't even know what all this is about short of 'it's a newfangled rebuild that does something special".
    Is there a primer for idiots that might help me here? I'm reading all the posts without understanding the basics.

Thanks for your pity.

Glenn

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Glenn - If you go to the mainpage https://www.team-mediaportal.com/ you'll see a couple of news items. The first "TVEngine v3.0 wiki , Mantis and forum threads" has a link to the wiki (manual) which has some info to read, but if you go to the second news item "Usages of the new TV Server" - you'll find three pdf files which you can look through. these should help to explain the new TV engine.

Basically the new TV engine will allow the sepperation of the TV engine from the TV client. It will allow multiple TV clients (each to be on different computers) all being driven by the TV engine. But if you don't want this it will also allow both the engine and the client to run on one computer. The TV engine will allow (if you have enough TV tuner cards installed on the TV engine computer) each client computer to watch different TV stations, note that TV tuner cards need to be only installed in the TV engine computer.

mba

Portal Pro
    September 16, 2005
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi there

Just reflecting a bit over the new engine - and I had a thought - probably not feasible at any length but anyway here goes:

Would it be possible to have lets say a server with two graphics cards (or one dualheaded), two soundcards and two remote units. Then running the tv-engine and two clients on the same server, each client using a unique set of hardware.
    This would cut the costs of a multi client environment a great deal...

kind regards
    Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom