methods of using TV server - discussion thread (2 Viewers)

kerpow

Portal Member
June 1, 2006
Brisbane
Home Country
Wouldn't the idea of having a 'take control' option available to the client mean that people could do as they wish?

Maybe I didn't explain well enough.

The idea is that in the situation where all the tuner resources are used up, any user who requests a client to change a channel will be told (as you say Frodo) that the tuner is in use and that they can't change the channel. But if you also add to that notification that they have the option to 'take control' then you give the power back to the users to override if they want to.

As I see it, this would solve any issue of crashed locked clients, or forgetting to turn off the TV in MP, going to bed and having to go back downstairs to turn the TV of before you can change the channels in the bedroom.

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    sounds like a good idea.
    That's the way i'm gonna make it!
    Sometimes in life the simplest answers are the hardest one to come up with...

Frodo

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Hopefully having a "take control" option won't result in hour-long "take control" battles when there is a conflict in what people want to watch :)

piranha

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 17, 2005
    Oh yes... You should have a hidden sequence on the remote which overrides your wife desire to watch "young and beautifull" :)

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Frodo, another question. :)

You mentioned that xmltv could be implemented as a server plugin (thats make sense), but does this means that the TV plug-in by itself will not have this function anymore (Eg: the hability to force the load of a new guide from the TV windows, and more specifically the StartImportXML function)?

Julio

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wouldn't the idea of having a 'take control' option available to the client mean that people could do as they wish?

Maybe I didn't explain well enough.

The idea is that in the situation where all the tuner resources are used up, any user who requests a client to change a channel will be told (as you say Frodo) that the tuner is in use and that they can't change the channel. But if you also add to that notification that they have the option to 'take control' then you give the power back to the users to override if they want to.

As I see it, this would solve any issue of crashed locked clients, or forgetting to turn off the TV in MP, going to bed and having to go back downstairs to turn the TV of before you can change the channels in the bedroom.

Can I suggest a further feature with regards to this?

Instead of taking control immediately when someone on a client presses 'take control', can we have it so that when one client does press 'take control', all clients watching that channel will be notified with a timeout message letting them object. If they do not object within the timeout (say 10 seconds) then it is assumed that they accept or are not there so ther channel can be changed. If they object, then the channel change doesn't happen.

Of course, the timeout should be implemented on the server so that if a client has crashed and doesn't receive the message, it doesn't hold up the process.

This should help prevent 'take control of the tv wars' in the future, unlike now when my mates just take the remote and hide it to gain 'control' :p

Sam

swifty

Portal Pro
    January 6, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ^^ What Sam said ^^
    Sounds like a top idea!!
    Keep up with the great work.. can't wait to try out the new engine, all sounds heavenly :D

desmodromisk

October 17, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    If the upcoming tv server is going to use as a ip/tv solution with multicast
    and vod functions we are definitly in heaven.
    We have been looking for a solution for over a year now and the only
    thats comes close are vlc, but they dont have any bda drivers ready yet.
    Let´s hope for a dreamscenario.

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    IMHO TV Control war shouldn't happend since every user should have it's TV-Card, it's not that expensive !

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    IMHO TV Control war shouldn't happend since every user should have it's TV-Card, it's not that expensive !

But what if one user wants to watch series "X" and record series "Y"

It only takes one person that wants more than is available!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom