methods of using TV server - discussion thread (1 Viewer)

kerpow

Portal Member
June 1, 2006
Brisbane
Home Country
Would it be possible to have lets say a server with two graphics cards (or one dualheaded), two soundcards and two remote units. Then running the tv-engine and two clients on the same server, each client using a unique set of hardware.

Not at the moment....

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/Fr...head-1d44a9f8ea8eb73b087c770db2a4db3313a75045
MediaPortal can not run properly on a secondary display.

And seeing as the TV client IS (at least for the moment) MP + plugin, that's that.

But even if you could, the PC would have to be quite powerful I would imagine, plus any bits and bobs to extend the audio and video to somewhere useful (plus the couple of hours a week leaning back in a black leather chair trying to get a shrink to unravel your brain after trying to config the whole system on one box), I reckon you are better off saving up for a second hand PC (like me). What is it that Bob the Builder says – Reduce – Reuse – Recycle :)

leo212

Portal Pro
November 30, 2005
Why is MS SQL server used in favour of an opensource database type like MySQL, PostgreSQL,MaxDB,Firebird or Ingrs ?
because its very nicely integrated into Visual Studio. which makes the developement much easier and effective.

btw. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is free.

that's a lazy excuse, open source software shouldn't be based on commercial software, even when it is free. (who promise that tommorw it will still be free?)

Visual Studio isn't also that smart choice for development tool for open source software... i've tried open source IDE like SharpDevelop and it works fine.

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
because its very nicely integrated into Visual Studio. which makes the developement much easier and effective.

btw. Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition is free.

that's a lazy excuse, open source software shouldn't be based on commercial software, even when it is free. (who promise that tommorw it will still be free?)

Visual Studio isn't also that smart choice for development tool for open source software... i've tried open source IDE like SharpDevelop and it works fine.

Ah, the open-source fanatics have finally arrived.

If you're referring to VS2005 Express being free, well FYI, even before VS2005 Express was free MP used VS (even VS2003 before that). So the fact that VS2005 express was free was never a factor. Also MS-SQL 2000 (MSDE) was also available free before that (although we didn't use it). It would be extremely unlikely for Microsoft to pull MS-SQL 2005 Express and future versions, but in any case, as has been mentioned, the framework allows the use of alternate databases with minimal changes.

By your theory, we shouldn't even be using .NET seeing as that's mostly proprietary. We should be taking advantage of WPF later either (open-source equivalent with the same amount of simplicity?).

You've tried SharpDevelop...of course, we could all just as well use notepad to code as well. VS2005 is way ahead of what SharpDevelop can offer in terms of ease-of-use and developer productivity. That said, SharpDevelop is coming along very well and works very well for small, simple projects.

I think its all a matter of using the best tools for the situation, and the MP developers have obviously chosen MS-SQL2005 Express and everything else because its a better tool for whatever reason. I don't think its necessary for everything to be so clear-cut - its not open-source against the world, in reality anyway.

Sam
p.s. I do not represent the developers around here.

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Why is MS SQL server used in favour of an opensource database type like MySQL, PostgreSQL,MaxDB,Firebird or Ingrs ?

Ermm, you can use all those other databases as well.
    We're using gentle.net (which is open source) to access the database
    Gentle.net can be found here: http://www.mertner.com/confluence/
    Gentle.net is an o/r mapper which supports many databases, so you are not tied to
    MSSQL

Why we choose ourselves for MSSQL?
    It's free, it is
    -easy to setup
    -easy to use
    -has a small footprint
    -I used it a lot for work so I know all about it
    - comes with great management tools

But if you want to use MySql, go ahead

Frodo

leo212

Portal Pro
    November 30, 2005
    all I'm saying that if you do something - do it right!
    instead of .NET - I'll prefer to use mono.
    instead of MediaPlayer - I'll prefer to use mplayer
    instead of SQLServer - I'll prefer to use MySql.
    I agree, it is harder to work with - but it worth it!
    Performance - much better, SQL Server and .NET are that heavy weighted that we won't be able to run any other software beside MediaPortal on Pentium4 Computer.
    Scalability – MediaPortal that using mono+mplayer+mysql can run on any o.s – Windows, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX…
    Price - Microsoft can start demending prices on their free product, open-source software - Not.
    Quality - Open-Source software is well known on its high quality code. commercial software are sending patches and bug fixes long days after the product has been released.

Currently MediaPortal with .NET+MediaPlayer+SQLServer is locked behind the grates of Bill Gates.
    The Next O.S – Microsoft Vista – comes with MCE built-in. If mediaportal cannot run on non-microsoft o.s – people will choose to use built-in MCE.
    MediaPortal developers should think of the future – and to be released from the chains of Microsoft.
    if you compete with someone product - you must'nt be depended of one of its other products.

P.S vi is a great tool, If you know to work with it. Much stronger then notepad.

roosterx

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2006
    Högsäter, Sweden
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Leo: if i am not toally wrong, feel free to port MP. ;)

But as i understand it you are a typically *nix user, and *nix is a great piece of OS no doubt about that, but what i first came to think of is - driver support is terrible under *nix - and what i meam by that is that they are slow, compared to win platform, a good example is FireDTV/FloppyDTV in which is maybe the best dvb hw out there as of now, but last i checked there were no driver for *nix..

I do not speak for developers of MP.

kerpow

Portal Member
    June 1, 2006
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    methods of using TV server - discussion thread

(For those that can't remember this, and/or have difficulty reading this)

:p

Even the developers have gone off topic in this thread. I think its time it was closed, 16 pages (of which at least 10 are ramble) is no use to anyone. We end up with gems of info lost in a see of irrelevant updates (some of which are from me! ;) ).

(As I have said before) I think that porting the TV server to Linux would be great, so if anyone who has, or nearly has the skills to do it wants to start a thread, lets do it.

Anyway, now we have a forum section for the tv server, so can we close this thread? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom