Monochrome (for those who like dark skins), updated... (3 Viewers)

atsakir

Portal Member
February 1, 2007
Just a comment on the font. Please bear in mind that some users require UTF-8 friendly fonts since they live in countries where non-latin characters are used in the EPG and elsewhere. Therefore, when a font is proposed to replace a generic MS font like Verdana or Tahoma it should be one that also comes with a big number of character sets included and not just iso-8859-1 :rolleyes:

eloo

Portal Pro
January 20, 2005
Aarhus, Denmark
Bug: Big Icon List font colour

Hi all,

1)
Another small bug, when using the big icon list view mode in my music, the font colour is greyish, and very hard to read on a dark background.

2)
In My Films, when using a different layout then List, the text overlaps the images.

Thanks for the best looking skin.

Stokkes

Portal Member
November 28, 2007
Home Country
Canada Canada
I just wanted to post something from a Designer's point of view.

I won't single out any other MP skins, as I realize the amount of work that goes into creating something like this - it isn't easy and requires a lot of effort. But out of every skin that I've seen for MP, Monochrome is by far the cleanest looking skin available. Heck, from a design perspective, it's (in my own humble opinion) probably the best skin available for MP. The reason being is rather simple - everything flows the way it should. For example:

• It's subtle (so many designers forget this attempting outlandish things)
  • Things blend where they're supposed to blend
  • Clean lines
  • To hard edges (to go with the above), buttons, icons, images, text are easy to read yet the contrast is unmistakable
  • Speaking of text, it's easy to read, jumps out at you in a very elegantly presented way.
  • Nothing outlandish, sticks to the original vision of the theme and executes the various elements of each part of the theme with near-perfection.

There are so many skins that have what I would call an "anti-aliasing" issue. The icons, buttons, objects just aren't smooth or just don't appear to fit into a cohesive whole. Many skins have great ideas behind them, they just aren't implemented correctly and when using them, these glaring issues jump out at me like a sore thumb (or a white man at the Apollo). These reasons mentioned are also why I still use BlueTwo (Wide) as my default skin for MP. Sure, the colours aren't my favourite, but from a design perspective, the lines in BlueTwo are very clean (to the point where even though it's the default skin, a significant amount of effort was put into it). IMO, more skin designers should take cues from Psycho Reptile, a truly remarkable skin. Good job mate!

JayDox

Portal Member
August 6, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
First of all, thx for this real nice skin. I like it a lot.
But since the version 0.8 Monochrome gets useless for me. The reason is the new font.
Its barely readable from a distance of 3-4 metres on a 50" Panasonic Plasma Panel. Too much exhausting for my eyes.

Is it possible to get the original font back, maybe a little hack or something?

Actually I don't want to run MediaPortal without Monochrome. ;)

Darre

Portal Pro
April 21, 2007
Home Country
Norway Norway
You could try to just uninstall the font it uses.. I _think_ that would force it to use some default windows font that might be more readable. For a "tidy" fix edit fonts.xml..

Olodin

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2004
    Is it possible to get the original font back, maybe a little hack or something?

Actually I don't want to run MediaPortal without Monochrome. ;)

It's described on the first page of this thread:

If for some reason you don't like the new font:
    -----------------------------------------------

[5] Copy the fonts.xml to your MediaPortal\skin\Monochrome folder.

[6] Delete the cache folder in :

ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Cache (Vista)

Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\Cache (Windows XP)

non.public

Portal Member
    September 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hello,

i have a big Problem :D, see the picture. The cover is not reflected, what can i do ?
    I use an ATI onborad graphics card (x1250) on a Asus M2A-VM/HDMI.
    I am use MediaPortal V0.2.3.0. Please help me, i will use this SKIN.

Attachments

• mp.JPG
      mp.JPG
      50.7 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom