Moving Pictures Logo (1 Viewer)

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    It'd be cool if the logo represented the concept of "moving pictures" somehow. Either as a play on words (like a picture being moved, the word 'picture' moving, etc.) or something indicating movement or motion of a movie or filmstrip or reel. The simpler the better.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I am really liking these ideas, good work guys. :p Cadriel I really like your logo, it's very simple and strait forward. The bottom one with the background imagery would work great for larger purposes while one of the others sized down would be good for icon purposes. Or maybe in the MP config screen. My only concern is some of the detail may be lost with a scaled down version.

Hrmm okay just created a test image with scaled down version and the only one I see an issue with is the 16x16 version, which would only be used by icons in list or details view of Windows Explorer. If we went with this design, maybe later we could create a cleaned up 16x16 separately to add clarity.

To everyone else, keep submitting. The more ideas here the better! And thanks to everyone for contributing so far! Maybe we can create a poll thread for the community to vote on the top couple ideas.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
      Untitled.png
      6.7 KB

Cadriel

Portal Member
    September 11, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Fforde,

I have my icons built in vector in Fireworks, so I can resize them down quite easily without losing any clarity. The 16x16 will definately require some special tweaking though.

I'll generate some different sizes and post here later today with them for an example. Also, the one's i'm posting here are JPEG - but I can do specific GIF's with transparencies and PNG's dependant on requirements.

Also - I can create .ICO compatible files for XP / Vista - with the correct sizes built in. This way the 16x16 would show in list view, 32x32 in small icon view etc etc.

Cadriel

Portal Member
    September 11, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    For reference, mine is hand drawn from scratch.

Square Icon
    The glass icon itself is modelled on base icons I work on myself.

Camera
    The movie camera shape is based on one I found online, of which I've traced and modified to my liking for this. I can redraw a new shape for here, but I think the current one is probably one of the better options. I'm happy to take suggestions though!

Background Image
    This was a random reel image I found online and threw in the background of the icon. This is the only image that may have royalty images, although its worth mentioning that I randomly picked it up from a google image search. I'm pretty sure you'd get away with using it.

It can be replaced with anything you like though, the only issue being finding one. Unless we have a budding photographer out there than can provide an appropriate image?

If you think any of these aspects need replacing or re-working, let me know in what way and I'll attempt to do so. :)

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Camera
    The movie camera shape is based on one I found online, of which I've traced and modified to my liking for this. I can redraw a new shape for here, but I think the current one is probably one of the better options. I'm happy to take suggestions though!

My concern is just that the image may not be unique enough. Multiple people managed to simultaneously come up with very similar camera designs, all probably based on a common piece of stock art. Just the fact that it looks similar bothers me a little not because of copyright issues or anything. Royalty free stock art is cheap. But because each time someone else uses an image that is even only similar to ours, it devalues the logo. It makes our logo a little bit less ours. If you follow.

I am going to push this contest/search out until the release of 0.6.1 to give people more time to come up with some ideas. Keep submitting people, great ideas so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom