Moving Pictures Social [Double Secret Beta] (1 Viewer)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I know that moving pictures social will not serve as an online backup of my movies, but can it be used as an online backup of my watched status flags?

That is on the schedule.

MPS requirement = Issue 120 - moving-pictures-social - Allow watched status to be retrieved via API - Project Hosting on Google Code

That covers the 'backup' part, but after that a 'restore' function will be added into MovingPictures (couldn't find ticket, but this might be a chicken and the egg problem, so needs one to finish before doing the other).

BuzzD

Portal Pro
    April 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Moving Pictures Social [Double Secret Beta]

Hello i have some suggestions for the social part of mp.

1. advanced info would be nice to see ex. what file/container type it is (ex. mkv, avi, iso and if ex iso or img treat it as dvd) does it have subs does it have dts or dd sound etc just like in mp. why would this feature be nice, well since its a social page and for example if my dad asks about a movie he can see for himself if it have ex sub (he cant watch movies without subs) and or if its a dvd and he can play it on his machine etc.

I second that. what's most important for me to share with others is the resolution (if it's HD not all of my friends will be able to watch /it it's not HD some of my friends don't wanna watch it) and the audio-language. It would be great to know what language(s) the movie has got.

So is there any chance this will be included in the future?

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Moving Pictures Social [Double Secret Beta]

what's most important for me to share with others is the resolution (if it's HD not all of my friends will be able to watch /it it's not HD some of my friends don't wanna watch it) and the audio-language. It would be great to know what language(s) the movie has got.

^^
    +1

however just installed it, and it works great!

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Re: AW: Re: Moving Pictures Social [Double Secret Beta]

Hello i have some suggestions for the social part of mp.

1. advanced info would be nice to see ex. what file/container type it is (ex. mkv, avi, iso and if ex iso or img treat it as dvd) does it have subs does it have dts or dd sound etc just like in mp. why would this feature be nice, well since its a social page and for example if my dad asks about a movie he can see for himself if it have ex sub (he cant watch movies without subs) and or if its a dvd and he can play it on his machine etc.

I second that. what's most important for me to share with others is the resolution (if it's HD not all of my friends will be able to watch /it it's not HD some of my friends don't wanna watch it) and the audio-language. It would be great to know what language(s) the movie has got.

Well we definitely want to allow people to divide up their collection in different ways, how we do this has not been determined yet though. The problem with hard coding a field like resolution is it makes a few assumptions that may not always hold true. What if for example I go to the theater to see Red this weekend. I like the movie, want to talk about it so I go add it to my profile on the Moving Pictures Social website and rate it 4 stars. This may spawn a discussion with a few of my friends in the comments which result in a few jokes about Bruce Willis' lack of hair, a Die Hard reference, and my friends going to go see the movie as well. At no point in this chain of events is the resolution of the video I watched relevant. Maybe I want to flag that I saw it in the theater though? Or maybe I want to exclude it from the list of movies that I actually own but keep it on my profile? How many other situations are there that may necessitate a special tag for a movie? Should we just add a new field every time someone thinks of something new we could track or should we try to come up with a more flexible system?

The point is that while the use case of Moving Pictures Social seems very specific right now (i.e. an online list of video files) we want to stay flexible. Our goal is to create a site where a community of people who love movies can gather and socialize. Where they can talk about what they love.

So yes, at some point we will make it possible for you to mark a movie as one you own in HD and making this process automated is also important to us. How we will be implementing this remains up in the air though because it's not as simple as just "adding a resolution field". Most likely it will be a part of a larger lists or tagging system.

TLDR, EDIT: My whole point though is that everyone will want to divide up and partition their collection differently. So rather than cater to the most vocal, we probably ought to create a more flexible system.

UNOPARATOR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2007
    Istanbul
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    I've just sent my badge design to travistx's mail and in case it doesn't get picked up, I'd like to see some thoughts.
    So here goes:
    Badge_Base.png Badge_MockUp.png

ZealotSix

Portal Pro
    August 18, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I've just sent my badge design to travistx's mail and in case it doesn't get picked up, I'd like to see some thoughts.
    So here goes:
    View attachment 72105 View attachment 72106

Thanks Unoparator! It was a bit busy, so I removed a few things, and changed around a couple things. Hope you like the result:

[imglink]http://social.moving-pictures.tv/badge/DarkBlue400x80/UNOPARATOR.png[/imglink]

UNOPARATOR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2007
    Istanbul
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    You're right, mine was a bit crowded, but I could loose unwanted parts easily (projector on the right or top film strip). I also accidentally put up files with broken transparency (on the right side).
    Your edited version doesn't look like what I had in mind, especially with the lack of dynamic texts (at least you could have added watched count, maybe like watched/total). But it sure looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom